1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers willing to give up home game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TwentyFourSeven, Mar 19, 2016.

1. TwentyFourSeven

TwentyFourSeven Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Dumb

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think its cool, Mexico loves NFL... I bet there are a fair amount of Steelers fans there too.

NFL should be trying to put teams in Mexico and Canada before London IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    how will we get back over the wall? :hmm::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
  6. CFL guy

CFL guy New Member

Mar 2, 2016
    How much money does it pay? Giving up a home game is serious revenue loss! Who compensates? I'm sure the 2 teams must split the gate.

• Like Like x 1
  7. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I think people are underestimating the atmosphere of a Steelers 'home game' in Mexico City.

I attended the London game against the Vikings and it was very odd. Not nearly as many Steelers fans as you would expect. If I were counting jerseys, I'd say 25% were Steelers fans that made the trip, 15% were Vikings fans who made the trip, and 60% were wearing jerseys of every other NFL team. And they weren't who you would find on the 'top jersey sellers' list either. It was the oddest thing I've ever seen. Tim Couch, Steve McNair, Fred Taylor . . . it was like England was stuck in 2002 or something. The NFL went out of its way to present a Vikings 'home game' atmosphere. Basically by handing everybody in the crowd a Vikings flag, blowing the Vikings horn after big plays, and highlighting the Vikings on the jumbotron. Still, the crowd was very unbiased as they cheered any good play regardless of team.

Mexico is Steelers country. That stadium would be en fuego. The Terrible Towels would be flying. I've known this for some time anyways, but I did a little research and it's been estimated the Steelers have (by far) the most fans in Mexico of any NFL team. 170,000 more than Dallas (https://harvardsportsanalysis.wordp...team-or-more-importantly-who-is-mexicos-team/). More than every NFL team in the UK combined. Not only would I be interested in seeing this happen, but I'm kinda hoping that it does. I would absolutely pick up a ticket and jump at the chance to experience Mexico City as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Isn`t the air quality in Mexico City really bad? Wonder if the players hate the idea.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Hey city of Pittsburgh help us fund the cost of building a stadium.
    Hey Steelers fans buy PSL's
    Now let us steal away one of your home games so we can play in another country.

Not to mention the impact it has on local business and the tax dollars generated.
    It's a dumb idea.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    As a Canadian I would prefer the NFL to stay in the US.

#1 I would not cheer for the new team so unless the Steelers move to Alberta I'm not interested haha.

#2 It would put undue stress on the CFL which has been around since forever.

#3 Canadian cities contribute much less to stadiums. Toronto would be the only city right now that could support an NFL team and the rest of us hate Toronto haha.

#4 Toronto and Hamilton are close enough to be Bills fans and Windsor is close enough to Lions, Victoria and Vancouver close enough to Seahawks etc. No reason we can't go to games easily.

#5 Canada needs a Stanley Cup! The government needs to intercede and do whatever that takes. Haven't won a Stanley Cup since 1993!!! Don't need to add on an expansion NFL franchise to a list of teams that don't win haha. We want the cup! (Montreal excluded).

11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    They better do this while Bryant is still suspended. You don't take a pot head to Mexico.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  12. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    It's the "National Football League" not the "International Football League"

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm sure the players hate it, think they want to pack up and head someplace else to play when they should be at home?

Agree with Glenn, dumb idea. Epitome of greed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The only team that I would want to move to Toronto is the Steelers, the other teams can stay put, especially the :poopy: Bills. ( steelers to Alberta?? lmao)

15. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012
    "hey steelers faithful, F you. we're taking our game on the road"...says the rooneys

16. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    If it helps us land a Super Bowl in Pittsburgh, do it and be done with it.

17. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    The teams are compensated by the league, but the details are kept secret. 1 thing is that teams who have given up a home game for an international venue get preference for Super Bowl bids.

You should trademark that before Goodell gets a chance.

I would imagine Mexico would be the favorite if you polled the players between London and Mexico. I don't have statistics, but the Steelers fan base in Mexico is huge. They host fan camps there and the turnout is crazy. I don't know of any other team that does that. A game there would be good for the Steelers and NFL brands. Obviously taking a home game away from PSL owners isn't going to sit well. What do teams do about that?

18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    What's the difference between giving up a home game to play in DF. and London? While there are tons of Steeler fans in MX. and the stadium would be packed, the horrendous traffic and worse air quality wouldn't be worth it. Besides, Mexico city is at almost 7400' of elevation! Combine that with the smog and someone not used to the altitude would suffer big time! If you haven't been to Mexico city, IMO, you're better off!
    Now, if they want to play in Puerto Vallarta.......I'm listening!

19. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    At the rate the league is pimping Internationalization it won't be long before teams are playing in Egypt, Dubai and Australia.

20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Well, it wont be this year:

February 5, 2016
    Hola. The NFL is heading back to Mexico.

Commissioner Roger Goodell announced Friday that the Oakland Raiders will host the Houston Texans in a Monday night game on Nov. 21 at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City. It’s the first game there since 2005, when Arizona beat San Francisco 31-14 before 103,467 fans.

• Like Like x 1
  21. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I would prefer the NFL stay in the US too. I was just in Toronto for a spell (though felt like I was in India). I completely understand why people outside of the T-Dot don't care for it. Worst traffic I've experienced in North America.

I had a hell of a time finding sports bars that would even play the games on Sunday. Settled on a Jack Astor's for a while until they refused to show all of the games because they were limited on tv's because they had to also show soccer, rugby, and the Blue Jays. Fortunately I was turned onto the Real Sports Bar & Grill steps from the Air Canada Centre and it was, surprisingly, the greatest sports bar I've ever been to. Still, the interest level in the NFL games was very minimal. After going to the Steelers/Vikings game in London and spending a couple months in Toronto during football season, I've come to the conclusion that Goodell (and the league) are really trying to shove a product at a disinterested consumer.

I was truly surprised at how very little Canadians cared about the NFL. My perception is that, in general, to steal from Mike Tomlin, I think Canadians "would have a hard time caring less . . . about the NFL." There were, however, as you alluded to, some pretty die-hard fan bases for the Argonauts and Redblacks.

I did get a chance to catch some hockey in Toronto (Pens beat em 4-0 on Halloween night), Ottawa, and the epic and enormous Bell Centre in Montreal (and got to spend an hour hanging out with Walter Gretzky in his basement in Brantford in one of the most surreal experiences of my life). Canada will probably have to wait on that Stanley Cup though. The Capitals are having an incredible season and the Pens are on fire right now. Oh, and the worst 10 teams in the NHL this season? 7 of those 10 are all the teams from Canada. Doo! (Canadian for D'oh)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Yep not one playoff team from Canada right now. It's horrible. I blame the Oilers. Top 5 picks for 8 years straight and they are trash with no grit.

I only go to Toronto if I'm flying somewhere else. Everyone hates the Leafs even the Leafs haha.

I don't see the point in expanding when the NFL is doing so well as it is. It's just greed really.

Same as the NHL considering teams in Vegas and Seattle! Yeah because the other desert team Coyotes have such great attendance and Seattle isn't a fairweather sports town. Whatever team starts there will end in Oklahoma City.

23. PitJax

PitJax Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Damn AR II. Never give up a home game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, that explains his interest then. He's on record as saying they'd like to host the SB.

Oh no doubt, I think the London games are asinine, the logistic nightmare that will cause if they put a team there, ridiculous. I'm just saying if I was a player, the choice between staying home or packing up and flying to a "home" game, Mexico or some other place, isn't even remotely difficult for me to make.

25. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    no big deal
    it would be cool
    they have been talking about this the last two years and the Steelers were always a front runner.
    being an ambassador for the UNITED STATES is done in many ways.

on the other hand
    I believe we missed out on the Mexico City game this next season because we lead the league in drug suspensions.
    I mean
    what country would want trouble makers coming to their country no matter what the profession is.
    Tomlin needs to regain control of his players soon or they might kick us out of the PA