1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead (no comics spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Jessie was pretty shocking, thought she was going to play a role moving forward. I actually think they made a mistake writing her off, I thought she had the makings of a good strong character.

After pumping my fist and shouting "yeah!" when those a-holes got blown up, I had a similar thought about not making any noise but it was more than 30 feet and if Daryl stabbed him before the guy was even aware that he was making a move, it's possible. Stabs him, gets him on the ground, hand clamped over his mouth, stab him a few more times. Plus Negans guy was engaged with Abraham and Sasha and seemed like a very arrogant cocky bunch.

Anyway, it was such a cool moment that I'm willing to suspend belief. It is a show about zombies after all :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Except for the fact that isn't how it played out. We know the guy stabbed Darryl and he even commented how he was a tough sob. Those things do't lend themselves to a quiet takedown

3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Tough sob could have meant he had to stab him several times. Daryls wound was on his back, I can envision a scenario where he is lying on the guy stabing him and the guy gets in a shot on Daryls back.

I don't have any problem with that scene. Glenn escaping under the dumpster was much tougher to swallow for me.

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Lol

Having to stab someone several times isn't going to be quiet

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Knives are the weapons of choice for stealth.

6. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    True. Just ask this guy:

[​IMG]

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I can't even make out what that is :lolol:

8. steelgirl84

steelgirl84 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I saw this on a website- if I can find it again, I'll get the link. It shows the car in the background. I don't know how people see this stuff, I miss everything! I was so happy that Negan wouldn't know who did that to his men. But then I found out about the dam car. There's a lot of rumor & speculation about whether or not Negan will kill someone when he meets Ricks group & who that person will be (if it happens). Since it was Daryl who was the one to actually fire the weapon that blew up his guys, it could end up being Daryl who gets killed. If that happened, I'd definitely HATE Negan!!!
    A lot of big fans don't like Daryl. They feel that he's kind of AMC's cash cow- so they figure he's probably not going to get killed off for that reason. Maybe he is their cash cow- but I love his character & how he has evolved. If they don't kill him off for a while because he's so popular, I'm fine with that! I never read the comics before the show. When the show began, we started buying the Compendiums when they came out. (We don't have a comic book store locally.) I also like that Daryl isn't in the comics. That makes him kind of a Wild Card. I like that.

9. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    It's Joel from The Last of Us killing a "clicker". The only way to stealth kill a clicker in the game is to use a shiv (blade wrapped in cloth). :smile:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    12745859_1003786423014650_954258133846022300_n.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
  11. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    There's a lot of factors that go into the Daryl hate. He's not a comic book character (yet), so the die hards resent him. He's extremely popular with women viewers, so jealousy creeps into it. Hipsters hate him because he's popular at all. Fans of other characters may resent him because they believe he takes awesomeness away from their characters. And then you have the unreasonable nerds who hate anyone who they feel is a "Mary Sue" (or as I saw one person call him: The Walking Fan Service).

Which is odd because we haven't seen him do anything more over the top than Rick. The ladies swoon over Rick too. Rick is pretty much unkillable. But they're ok with him. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  12. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    What I find the most amusing about the female fans that swoon over Daryl is that these same women wouldn't give a guy looking like Daryl the time of day if they saw him walking around in the mall.

Personally, the characters I've liked the most have kind of morphed over time. My current favorites are probably Abraham or Eugene. And I still like Coral too, although I wish he would go back to shooting a kid because he felt like it Carl from Season 3

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I just saw the "Negan Car". Seems like a production oversight to me.

• Like Like x 2
  14. steelgirl84

Sep 28, 2014
    That's what I'm REALLY REALLY hoping that's what it was but u never know.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    It's not that big a mystery. All of the Daryl swooning began in season 2, when he made it his life's mission to find Sophie... and began bonding with Carol in the process. He wasn't a very popular character before that. Or at least, was only seen as a character who could handle himself and help the group.

He was rude. Arrogant. Racist. Angry at everyone for everything. He was basically Merle light...

And not a single ovary exploded over his appearance.

But once his character made an attitude change of sorts, suddenly, he was the "bad boy with the heart of gold." And the appeal of that has been undeniable for generations, if not centuries. He also has the whole "Strong silent type" going for him.

My wife once remarked "He looks like he'd smell like motor oil, sweaty feet, and moldy cheese." And then admitted she found him attractive anyway. Go figure. She won't even hug me if I haven't showered within the past 24 hours. :lolol:

But guys dig him too, so... (just in different ways... usually)

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats it in a nut shell. Girls fall all over themselves for that. :swoon:

17. steelgirl84

Sep 28, 2014
    image.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Guest

Guest Guest

You're absolutely correct in that a lot of women like Daryl because he's the bad boy with a heart of gold, but now that he looks like he's pretty ripe (he's definitely in need of a very long, hot shower and a good haircut), he's all yucky to me, and I'm not attracted to him anymore, although I do like the character. He kicked ass when he used that rocket launcher to take out Negan's men, though. That was so badass!

I actually kinda liked the leader of Negan's group there. He was making me laugh with his facial expressions. I was hoping, though, that when he approached Abraham for his weapon, Abraham would have punched him right in the mouth, and THEN Daryl would have taken out the rest of those boys.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Hmmm... I dunno... I kinda think maybe it might be true. How else would Negan find out about our group?

20. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm really not sure how I feel about Jessie being killed off. I wasn't really invested much in this family because Porch Dick was, well, Porch Dick, as was Junior, and Sam was an annoying little twit.

As far as Jessie is concerned, they really didn't explore much of a relationship between her and Rick up to that point, and other than a few kisses and the possibility of a romance, there just wasn't much there. I dunno, that's just my opinion. I guess I wish they would have explored more of their relationship and kept Jessie around for awhile longer for us to become more invested in her before they killed her off.

21. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    EEEHHHH,:frown: So far this season, does not seem that good to me..

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well now we know why Jessie got fed to the Walkers :lolol:

Wow, Michone and Rick. Guess I should have seen that coming.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah, now I feel all stupid that I didn't see it coming either, but am happy I didn't know because it was a sweet surprise. Michonne is my favorite character on the show, so I'm very happy with their pairing. I'm a Richonne 'shipper for sure. Rick better treat her right because she'll kick his ass if he doesn't. :lolol:

I really enjoyed this week's episode. It was a nice respite and it's good to see they are busy rebuilding their community. Rick and Daryl on the road are a hoot. The music, comedy of errors, Flying Jesus, etc., were all fantastically done. Daryl flippin' Flying Jesus the bird had me in stitches.

I also really enjoyed the scene between Carl and Michonne at the end of the day. It was such a sweet, tender moment. Their love for each other was palpable and it brought tears to my eyes.

I had actually wondered what was going to become of Deanna when she gave herself up to the walkers. I'm glad they concluded her storyline and it played out the way it did. I felt badly for Spencer, but now he has closure and can move on with his life. He's too darn good lookin' for them not to hook him up with someone. I wonder who it could be. I have a feeling it's going to be Maggie at some point. Is there anyone else it could be?

I started laughing when Dr. Denise said she was originally from Ohio. I wasn't expecting that. I wonder if she's a Bengals or a Browns fan. :shrug: Maybe I hate her now. I dunno... :lolol:

Is Enid grieving over Ron or what's her dang problem? Geesh, what a Debbie Downer.

This Flying Jesus character has me intrigued.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    "Flying" Jesus (or just Jesus) is a Comics character and fan favorite. For a long time, Daryl was basically "Redneck Jesus" as they share a level of badassness and resourcefulness. That's why I found it funny that Daryl's immediate reaction is to dislike him. Then again, Daryl's been burned by strangers a bit too many times recently.

(And great.... another one to make the ladies swoon. As soon as he took off his mask and hood, my wife literally sat up and said "Hello!" :lolol: Yet, if I did that for say, Maggie, I'd get a big bruise on my arm and sleep on the couch for a week)

There's a few other, ummmm, aspects to his character I won't mention - partly because they're spoilers, and partly because who knows if they'll even use them for the show?

So Richonne is a thing now. Makes sense I suppose. In the comics, Andrea is still alive (and quite the badass - think Carol, Michonne and Sasha rolled into one). Rick and Andrea are the power couple there (and it started around this time in the comics). So I guess they're using Michonne instead with Andrea being, you know, dead and all. ;)

Another interesting substitution: Enid is basically comics Sophia. Sophia is still alive. Glenn and Maggie kind of adopt her (Carol is long dead. She never made it out of the prison. Not even the same character in personality). And at this point in the story, Sophia and Carl have a sort of innocent, not quite romance going on.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, I liked this episode too. The stuff you mentioned with Daryl and Rick plus how Rick kept turning the wheel to make Flying Jesus fall into Daryl :lolol:

I thought the Deanna thing was great, wasn't expecting it, figured she was Walker food.

A little lost on the the Carl thing as I kept getting interrupted, why didn't he want to kill the Walker?

Definitely intrigued by Flying Jesus, he's got some skills. Find out what he's all about soon enough.

Some interesting changes in there, as much as Id have liked to have seen Sophie live, her death scene really set the tone for the show for me, when she walked out of that barn, I was like, ok, this show is on another level. So I think it was really good the show went in that direction instead of following the comics.

I could see Andrea and Rick ending up together if she hadn't died. Carol and Rick, no way, so Michonne and Rick made the most sense.

I know Lady Steel would love the comic adaption on Carol!

• Like Like x 1