1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Manning Greatest of All Time

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Steel_in_DC, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Well just like last year when everyone was anointing Brady the GOAT, now that Manning has won his 2nd Super Bowl we see articles that Manning is the GOAT.

With all that said, I do like how this article does demonstrates the nuance in looking at whether one player is better than another and it shows how Manning had to perform in his early playoffs with some less than stellar defenses compared to what Brady had (a point I had made numerous times ... the same can be said of Montana and Bradshaw as well).

I noted before the SB that Manning had a slighly better (and by slightly I mean hundreths of a point) QB rating than Brady. After SB50 Brady is like 0.5 points better.

But I thought some of you might find this article interesting. I still am strongly of the belief that guys like Bradshaw and Staubach deserve some due in that Brady, Manning, even Ben benefit immensely in being able to play in an era where the rules are heavily skewed towards the QB and his receivers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...anning-solidifies-place-as-nfls-best-qb-ever/

2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Stats, schmats. For me, it comes down to who would you rather have under center with a big game on the line? IMO, it's Montana and noone else is close!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah to say that Manning is a great "big game" qb is just dumb. He's flat out not. He's just not. I freely admit that I'm not a fan of him but my reason is because he's not a great big game qb. He wasn't at TN and apparently he wasn't even in high school. He played in a dome for most of his career in a bottom feeding division. He played in an era when you can't even touch a qb. Montana went out on the greatest stage and performed over and over. Brady is 22-9 in the post and 4-2 in the Super Bowl. He has the most postseason td passes and he's not even near done. Still AT THIS MOMENT if I can only take ONE qb with me to the big game I'm still taking Montana. The dude was just flat out money and ice flowed in his veins. I think he's second in all time win percentage in the post. Still he was just so dang clutch dude.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    "Look! Isn't that John Candy?"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Here's my main reason for taking Montana. In the history of the Super Bowl only 4 teams have lost the turnover battle and won the game. Joe played in 4 and never threw a single pick in any of them. He gives you the best shot to win based on that stat alone. That's why I'm going with Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    He was definitely "Joe Cool"

7. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    The point of the article was more of holistic look at the careers and to understand that many great QBs benefited from playing with overall great teams. Overall if I had to pick the best I would probably go with Montana as well, though I think you could make an argument for Unitas and Peyton.

Personally, though if I had to pick a big time qb for the big game though I might go with Bradshaw - he was huge in the last 2 Super Bowls.

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    As BFT pointed out, no INTs.. Can't say that about Terry.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Joe Montana is the greatest of all time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Manning's points per game in his losses is 15. In those 13 losses his teams scored more than 20 twice.

So... the Colts put most of their money in offense with Manning, Harrison, Glenn, Wayne etc. but their defense is supposed to hold the other team to less than 15?

The whole article saying why Manning is the "best" is useless stats.

Greatest regular season performer but **** when it counted.

Best QBs ever are Montana and Starr.

11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Well, you can say Manning is not a "big game" QB, but I'll pose this. Would you not argue that The biggest games of Mannings careers were the AFC championship games and Super Bowls he played in? What his record in those games? 6-3, pretty lousy I must say.

Compare and contrast with the local hero, who is widely revered for his winning over his stats. He's 5-2. Better? Yes. But if Van der Jagt hits a FG in '06, the positions change.

To be the GOAT, you have to have the numbers (Peyton's has nearly all of them) and you have to win (Peyton has more career wins than anyone, multiple championships, and 4 SB appearances). He's in the discussion. Look , To me Brady and Montana are the best QBs I've ever seen. Manning is 3rd. Unitas and Favre are next. And yes,I'm old enough to remember all Staubach,Bradshaw, Starr, etc.

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    ANY playoff game is a "big game" to me because that's when you have to go home. Not only did Peyton lose 13 of those games and 2 of them Super Bowls but he also was one a done a lot of times in the playoffs. But I go back even to his college days to show that he couldn't play good in big games. He never beat FL and around here it's a big deal to beat FL. Also in the Super Bowls that he did win he played like hot garbage and his defense got it done for him. There's no way I can put him 3rd and the whole thing about the 05 playoff game really doesn't speak well for Peyton either because if not for the refs basically cheating on national tv the Colts were never gonna be in a position to win that game anyway. Our defense actually owned him that day. Great REGULAR season qb? Absolutely! Great POST season qb? Barely even .500.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Yeah Brady is 22-9 in the playoffs.

Until Manning joined the stacked Broncos he was 9-10 in the playoffs.

Broncos secured his legacy. His repayment?

"Yeah maybe I'll stick around next year haven't decided. I think I probably will hang around, throw some picks, lose some games, take some extra money I don't need, **** over Osweiler. Meanwhile the Broncos won't be able to sign any of the players who dragged me to the Superbowl."

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah when all the devout cultists I work with were worshiping him over this year I was like "Yeah he really led that team since he was benched for 63 straight days..." The fact is that they would have won that Super Bowl just as easily if Osweiler had been playing. It's like saying Dilfer is the reason the 2000 rats got a ring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Are you in on the "Papa Johns hot line"? Did Peyton call you to tell you his plans before anyone else? Perhaps he's just relaxing and discussing his future with his family?! Maybe he's basking in the Lombardi glow for a little while longer 'cause it'll never happen again?! It's only been a bit over 2 weeks, why do people demand that he make up his mind immediately? This is Manning, not Favre. He'll announce his retirement when he's ready and I doubt it will hurt the Broncos at all.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Come on man, against that Carolina defense, I doubt they win that game with Brock. His inexperience would have led to some turnover points, I bet.

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well Peyton turned it over twice as well. They also knew they could tee off on wideouts because he couldn't go downfield. Osweiler would have probably been more likely to keep their d a little more honest and guessing. Josh Norman also dropped 2 INTs that hit him right in the hands. If Peyton had stayed in for the whole season they would have probably missed the playoffs altogether. He spent 63 days in a row on the pine and I think Kubiak rolled the dice and bet on his d and it paid off. Without that d they don't make it as far as they did no matter who was the qb. I just think Brock could have had more than 140 yards of passing.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He was injured, thats why he missed 63 games. He started again because Brock was struggling with defenses. Say what you want about Peyton, but he's seen it all and can check out of any defense. Thats a huge advantage against a team like Carolina.

19. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Peyton retired on March 7. That was the same day FA opened.

I'm certain the Texans contacted Osweiler immediately and he was signed on March 10.

If Peyton had retired before March 1 the Broncos could have tagged Osweiler while they figured out their QB situation or offered him a contract.

Osweiler is the 21st paid QB in the NFL. He is the lowest paid starter not on his rookie contract.

So in my mind Peyton did hurt the Broncos by not just retiring right away. I think being stuck with Sanchez as the #1 and being out of range to draft a QB puts them in a bad spot.

The Broncos could have signed Trevathan and Osweiler for less than Manning.

Malik Jackson was always gone.