1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are some players injury prone?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelgirl84, Jan 28, 2016.

1. steelgirl84

steelgirl84 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I listen to sports radio a lot. When Maurkice Pouncey & LeVeon Bell is mentioned, there are people that call into the radio station to say that we should get rid of them because they get injured too much- that they're injury prone. There are just as many people calling in to say that injuries happen & it's not the players fault.
    I honestly don't know.
    What do yinz think?

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I tend to think that "injury prone" is a myth, but there are ways someone can be injury prone. If someone isn't in great shape, they can be prone to getting injured. Some people just have a bad knee, or a bad shoulder, hammy, etc. A perfect example would be Arian Foster (and to a smaller extent OBJ)with recurring hamstring injuries.

I don't think either Pouncey or Leveon are injury prone tho. Pouncey's injuries have been pretty significant, but they haven't necessarily been recurring injuries. They're more freak injuries. Yeah, the are worrisome because of the severity... But I don't think he is any more likely to be injured than anyone else. Just has been unlucky. Bell's weren't as severe (with the exception of his MCL). The bone bruise was really nothing, you'd expect him to not have any lasting effects from that. Lisfranc was in his rookie year and he has shown literally no lasting effects from it. MCL is more worrisome, but he is young and should come through it fine.

3. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Yes, some players are injury prone. Some bodies simply can't take the stresses of playing NFL football. Other guys get injured more than usual because they don't have as much awareness of what is going on around them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Depends on the injuries and the type of hit received. I don't know how you can fault Bell for having his MCL blown out with the way he was hit. You can't expect him to have titanium ligaments.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    While it's a really overused term, I think it is possible to be "injury prone". It's much more possible IMO to just get injured during a football game while being no more or less likely than the man next to you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    more likely if Gilbert is near you

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think "injury prone" is more of a term for guy's that don't get hurt by others. At least in my mind that's what that exact term means.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's a duck.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Talking ducks are few and far between though.

10. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    not necessarily. it could have been my drunk uncle.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That made me quack up.

Sorry.

• Like Like x 2
  12. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    despicable.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes some people are injury prone.

14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Boo lol

15. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I believe some people have bodies more susceptible to injury. I also believe some people's bodies just get the most awful luck.

For example, LaMarr Woodley eventually became injury prone. Hamstrings, ankles, you name it, he hurt it.

But Maurkice Pouncey has just had some terrible luck with guys hurling into his knees at the worst angle... The kind of thing that would tear anyone's ACL. Hard to put those guys under the same umbrella. For all we know, there are other guys who have injury-prone bodies, but never get injured because they luck out and never get hit in just the wrong way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think I have seen a player like Pouncey just shake off his past and finish out his career injury free. It not a question of if it is a question of when.

An important question to ask is how do you know when to get rid of a player with a history of injury.

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    With teams drafting running backs in the 1st round dating back to the bills drafting McGahee in 03 who went on IR immediatley to rehab for a year, to the rams drafting Gurley this year in the 1st round to rehab for half of the season with a knee, teams dont seem to worry about knee injuries to running backs as much as fans do, so it's not about being injury prone it's just backs are more suceptical to knee and ankle injuries, and Adrian Peterson comes to mind as well, it's just part of playing a high contact position that on any given play their season can be over and on to the IR they go....

18. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    The name that pops into my head is GREG ODEN.

I think there is something to players who just can't stay healthy. I wouldn't put LeVeon in that category yet...but I would Pouncey.

19. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't believe they're "injury prone," especially Pouncey considering one of his injuries was because Decastro had a brain fart and dove into his leg. But you do have to question how often players just are never the same after those kind of injuries...

20. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    No Some Players aren't injury prone

Signed: Derrick Rose

21. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    And he blew out his knee signing that.

22. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    In defending Bell, he had a miraculous relatively injury free career rolling through college.