1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

All-time favorite Steeler Offense/Defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 27, 2016.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Okay, since we don't have the Super Bowl to worry ourselves with, I thought this might make for an interesting topic. Who is your all-time favorite Steeler on offense and defense and tell us why in one sentence? I'll get us started.

Defense - Jack Lambert (as you might have surmised): Lambert was the quintessential Steeler and always set the tone that we will not be intimidated but, rather, we will be the intimidator!

Offense - Lynn Swann (maybe a surprise): Swann was the grace to Lambert's grit and could always be called upon to deliver the clutch plays at the most crucial times in the biggest games!

Your turn. It's not easy to try to pick a favorite among all of the Steeler greats and then to have to describe them in one sentence is nearly impossible! Give it a shot!

:steelflag:

2. Lambert's Lunatic58

Lambert's Lunatic58 Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Great question!!! Judging from my title and avatar, I guess my defensive player is a given, and for the same reason you mentioned. The man played the game the way it should be played. Offense, I have to go with Rocky Bleier. Rocky wasn't the headline guy, just helped open holes for Franco and, oh yeah, had that 1,000 yard rushing season, all while supposedly 60% disabled from shrapnel in the Vietnam War. Loved those teams in the 70s and early 80s.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Troy Polamalu on defense. I don't think we'll ever see another like him. I didn't even have to think about it.

Offense... is a lot trickier with me. Lynn Swann could be the choice, even though I was born in the 80s. I grew up with his stories and highlights, and appearance on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. He's the type of player I wanted to be.

Then there's Heath Miller, who has been my favorite offensive player for awhile.

But I have to say Kordell Stewart. Not because he was the best, but because of the impact he had on the game and on me and my relationship with the Steelers. Of course he was no Ben in terms of talent, but I will always argue that he was given the short end of the stick and ultimately sabotaged by his own team. A very underrated player by the end of things, and a reminder of how slow the league is to adapt to things that should go without saying (black QBs were still not accepted, even in the late 90s), and how far we've come in the short time since then.

By the way, I'm not trying to start a debate. No need.

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I'm only 26, so I don't have a huge player pool to choose from...

Defense : Ryan Clark. I love the way he put his body on the line and absolutely messed people up. As violent a hitter as I've ever seen. Really intelligent football player too.

Honorable mention : Troy. Reasons obvious. He was an absolute freak who did things that no one else could. I watched his whole career from start to finish and I loved every second of it.

Offense : Antonio Brown : I'm pretty much wowed by AB in every game I watch. He's so shifty, fast, has incredible hands, scores on punt returns... He does too much to even list half of them. Best WR in the NFL and he's only 5'10". Oh, and he has the best touchdown dance in the league

Honorable mention : Kordell Stewart. He was my first favorite player ever, so he had to be included

• Like Like x 1
  5. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Man, this is impossible.

Defense I'm going with Lloyd as he was a badass. Actually the only jersey I've only bought and still wear it during big games. Woodson was a close 2nd as he lived up to the hype and was one of the GOAT.

Offense, is Franco. I love when the Steelers run the ball and he was their best ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Lambert
    Bleier
    Work ethic. Team first. Play to win. Respect for the game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Slightly different perspective here on defense. My favorite was Jack Ham. I just think he was the smartest, most technically proficient player I've ever seen. The guy was never fooled, and was always in the right place at the right time. He had to be a nightmare to play and coach against.

On offense, Bradshaw is still my all time favorite. If there has ever been another QB who elevated his performance in big games as much as Terry Terrific, I've never seen it. The guy defined clutch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Defense- Greg Lloyd
    Offense - Franco Harris

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Greg Lloyd / Jerome Bettis

10. chipped ham

chipped ham Member

Jan 27, 2016
    I, too, am only 26 so I didn't have the privilege of watching the great teams from the 70's play live. So, I'll give my take from who I'm familiar with:

Defense- I have to go with James Harrison. This was a really tough decision for me, but ultimately "Deebo" is my choice. The perfect example of working his way through the system, he was an absolutely dominant all-around linebacker from 2007-2011. His interception in super bowl 43 was one of the best football plays I've ever seen and I can't wait to be able to tell my children or my grandchildren about the excitement of having witnessed it.

Offense- Again, this was a tough choice for me, but I have to go with Big Ben. Yeah, he went through some tulmutuous times, but I think the guy has done so much for this team. I mean, drama queen or not, you'd literally have to put a bullet in him to keep him off the field. One of my most fondest memories of him is a play that didn't result in anything; playing against the rats in 2010, with the division hanging in the balance and the steelers driving for the winning score. Suggs' rush takes him right into the backfield and is draped all over Ben. Somehow, Ben does enough to muster the football away instead of taking a huge loss at such a critical point in the game. Man, such strength and savvy. Those who remember, I think, can appreciate the importance of this play. This was also well after haloti ngata busted his nose earlier in the game.

11. steelamazing

steelamazing Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Terry Bradshaw
    Joe Greene

12. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    defense is mel blount. I loved watching him.

offense is alittle tougher. It may seem out of left field but I always loved watching Louis lipps. I wish he would have had a better qb and seen what he could have done.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Defense: Rod Woodson. Just a phenomenal athlete, interception machine, forced fumbles, recovered fumbles, the guy was everywhere making plays and great punt returner too.

Offense: Terry Bradshaw, guy was a winner, clutch in big games and huge part of me becoming a Steelers fan.

14. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Defense- Troy Polamu I remember the day we traded up to get him At the time I thought it was a bad decision LOL

Offense- Big Ben
    I wanted Eli but knew we had no chance of getting him Soooooooooooo thankful we didn't

15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Offense - Mike Webster. A ton of honorable mentions but Webster really set the foundation for the 70's Steelers on offense and for the team in general. Sure, he did roids and it ultimately killed him but so did most players of that era. He was always the first one to break the huddle with no sleeves on no matter how cold it was inside TRS. He was to the Steelers offense what Mean Joe Greene was to that teams defense. Players saw his work ethic and fed off of it.

Defense - Jack Lambert. A pure undersized natural talent. No roids needed. I'm surprised he put up with teammates using them to gain an edge. I was just a kid at the time when turf toe ended his career. Couldn't believe he couldn't go on from an injury such as that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Offense - Swann, the most graceful WR ever to play the game, I have his jersey.
    Defense - Lloyd, because he was a tough mean player.

17. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Offense: Growing up it was Bradshaw but Big Ben has probably surpassed him as my favorite Steeler on the offensive side of the ball.

Defense: Joe Greene. He is the most important player in this team's history. The Chief said it, Dan Rooney said it . . . it is what it is. That dynasty wouldn't have happened without him. His play, his attitude, his leadership -- he set the standard. Not to mention, I have met him on several occasions and the guy is one of the most genuine, approachable, humble, nicest guys I have ever met. I attended a signing in Houston last year, set a program from his jersey retirement game (against Baltimore) down in front of him to sign, he looked at it, picked it up and smiled and said, "Where did you get this?" I replied, "At the game! There was no way I was going to miss the jersey retirement for the greatest Steeler ever! I flew in for it with my girl (who was with me)." He stood up and shook both of our hands, smiled and thanked us. He's behaved like that every time I've met him.

18. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Defense - Mel Blount. 6 foot 3 inches tall, fast, great instincts and a great hitter. Possibly the greatest CB who ever played the game.
    Offense - Mike Webster. A lot of the offense success in the 70's was because of the O line and Webster was the cornerstone of that line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That's really awesome what you said about Kordell. I tell people all the time that he's the main reason I became a Steelers fan. He's not my "favorite" but he will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart because I still think of him as the dude splitting out wide on one play and lining up under center on the next. When I was a kid I thought that was super awesome. As for my "favorites"... This is very difficult and almost makes me feel guilty to even say but...

Offense- Heath Miller. The dude just embodies what I think of as a "Steeler".

Defense- Mel Blount. I never got to watch him but I've always loved the cb position and Mel played it so good they named a rule after him and that's really saying something.

• Like Like x 1
  20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Man a guy really got under my skin the other day when he was trying to tell me that linemen aren't as important as I think they are. I said "Oh well then I guess Emmitt Smith just got all those yards and the fact that he played behind "The Great Wall" didn't mean anything???" I didn't even mention "The Hogs" but he wouldn't have known who I was talking about anyway. I told him I figure the only way he will ever realize how important they are is if he gets to pick them in his fantasy league. Sigh.

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    It seems to me like the dudes from "our generation" all seem to have a much more favorable view of Kordell. I'm 34 and I have a sentimental feeling for him too. Snack and myself are a little older than you but still are pretty much from the Cowher generation.

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Jack Lambert said he considers Jack Ham the greatest ever and said he put stuff on film that he has never seen anyone else match.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    The entire team in super bowl IX Because we won
    The entire team in super bowl X Because we won
    The entire team in super bowl XIII Because we won
    The entire team in super bowl XIV Because we won
    The entire team in super bowl XL Because we won
    The entire team in super bowl XLIII Because we won

24. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Since I'm only 18, I have a short list to choose from.

OFFENSE: Ben Roethlisberger

He's the main reason why I became a Steelers fan. I grew up watching him play during his rookie season when I was only 7!!!

Honorable Mention: Brown & Bell

DEFENSE: James Harrison

This one was very tough but I chose James Harrison. I love Troy and all but Harrison is my favorite. I remember the game when he destroyed the Ravens all by himself. That was also the game where he body slammed Ed Reed causing him to fumble.

Not to mention his interception during the Super Bowl.

Honorable Mention: Troy

25. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Well there's Tom Bra-- oh, wait a minute... Never mind.