1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Peyton Manning the worst qb to play a superbowl ????

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Ratkomladic, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He may also be the Smartest QB to ever play in a Superbowl, one thing you won't have to
    worry about him, he will be prepared, may not be physically able to carry it out. As James Harrison said
    the Broncos are paying him from the neck up..Panthers by 10. Where are all
    those BA ,Carson Palmer lovers NOW. Just a side note I could care less who wins the Superbowl.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  2. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I think statistics paint a different picture. In the first 6 years of his career, Ben averaged 27.7 Att/g compared to 35.9 the last 6. In 2005 he averaged 22 att/g and 29 in 2008, compared to the 38 he's averaging over the past 3 years. Also, 2005 and 2008 were the two lowest yard/game average he had, outside of his rookie year.

I agree with your Brady comments, which is why I don't think he should have gotten all the credit over the NE D (no way he was SB MVP over Ty Law vs STL). Oh guess what, NE won their Super Bowls during those first 3-4 years. Look I admit it, I'm a fan of Cowher football, and this year's Denver team is showing it's still alive an well, and the Brady comparison helps my cause!!

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Grossman: The REAL reason Peyton has a ring to start with.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    They're physical. They're fast. They're ball hawks. Carson Palmer just threw 4 picks against them and they forced 2 fumbles. That's more than what Denver just done to Brady and they dominated that game up front. That was the difference. Well that and the fact that Gostkowski missed an extra point that ultimately put them in the position they wound up in.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Im not saying they are bad defense but I wouldnt use Carson Palmer as a measuring stick, he hasnt been playing well. The knock on him has always been when the lights are brightest, he doesnt shine. Defending Brady, Gronk and Elderman is a lot harder. Cams mobility will make things tougher, hopefully Kubiack comes up with a good plan.

Enjoy your two weeks of Manning coverage :popcorn:

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :roflmao:

7. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I understand the # of attempts argument, and yes the game is even more on Ben's shoulders now compared to then, but once the 05 playoff run began, Ben stopped being a game manager and the results of that playoff run were outstanding, though Ben certainly had a clunker in the SB. After that year, the Steelers started leaning a lot more on Ben, but not in a cerebral way like Manning - rather they relied upon him as a playmaker ... ala the gunslinger comparison. That was when Ben was at his most magic regularly pulling Houdini acts at the end of games .... even at times when he hadn't played particularly well in the game.

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well I've endured it for over 20 years so hopefully I've reached the home stretch. LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    If you look at Ben's winning percentage when he throws the ball less than 40 times a game, it is unbelievably high.
    You get him above that 40 mark you have a FAVRE like problem. Basically a turn over machine.

10. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011

I think the ball musta had too much air in it.;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    That is definitely true, Ben has an abysmal record as a starter when chucking the ball over 40 times - though his winning percentage when throwing 30-40 times is in line with his overall winning percentage. To some extent some of those games may have been where the Steelers were trailing by a lot of points in a comeback mode where forcing the pass becomes more pronounced.

The thing is, most quarterbacks have an under .500 winning percentage when they are throwing over 40 times because it means the QB is more likely in a mode of trying to make up a deficit and is forced to throw more. Tom Brady does have a significant winning percentage when throwing over 40 times but that has to be taken into context as well. (1) We all know that Brady often emphasizes the short dink and dunk passing game - that in itself is playing the role of a game manager (2) We all know that when the Pats get on top of you they don't take their foot off the gas, they keep applying pressure and thus they keep chucking the ball and often times against a tired defense.

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Actually my buddy came up to me today and told me that he had read a story that said the NFL commissioned a private group to measure ball pressure throughout this season and he said they came to the conclusion that in every single game in the league this year that the pressure in the balls actually went down. Have you heard anything about this? I just got home and haven't had time to look in to that.

13. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, I read that in a couple of places. That all the ball checked were lower in the second half of the game compared to the beginning of it.

14. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011

I guess just to cut to the chase, Ben needs a running game to achieve winning results, keep the run/pass ratio at 50/50
    Ben & Steelers are hard to beat.

15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The poor Forehead will throw 3 picks, be harassed all day, pouting on the sidelines. Once the game gets out of control old Crawfish shorts will be replaced by Oscilloscope.

16. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Does any one have a conspiracy theory they would like to share? Panthers should win
    this by 10.

• Agree Agree x 1