1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Peyton Manning the worst qb to play a superbowl ????

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Ratkomladic, Jan 24, 2016.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I actually have been telling all the braindead bandwagon riders around here that he's basically Dilfer at this point and this team is the 2000 rats. I mean all he has to do is manage the game and their d will win it for them. Carolina will beat the brakes off Denver though. They've got a good o line and a qb that's not a statue. They should give the pats o line a ring if they do manage to get past that Panthers though. Also they should give Jordan Barry one as well.

2. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I miss the days when the Steelers had a great D and Ben was a game manager...that's when they were winning Super Bowls...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Game manager or not, Dilfer has a ring. Peyton will get another one too. Then he'll retire and you can be happy!

4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The Forehead will not get another ring. I'm feelin really sad now :lolol:

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Carolina will beat them badly. If they hadn't benched Manning they wouldn't have even been there to start with.

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The difference is that when Ben was doing enough to help us win people weren't singing his praises as though it was all him and everybody else was along for the ride.

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    That was the second one. The first one is the one where Simms had the greatest game a qb has ever played in the Super Bowl.I still can't stand him though.

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Don't be so sure. The NFL loves the Hollywood ending. Peyton gets a ring in his last game? You can't buy feel good publicity like that!

9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Life just can't do that to me. For me to watch him lose his last game and it be a Super Bowl and for me to never have to hear from all the bandwagon riding fans around here again is not too much to ask for what I have painfully endured for about the last 20 years. If you could understand the cult around here of people that never watch football except for when he's playing but then talk like they are Vince Lombardi level experts you would feel my pain.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. Like it or not, Manning will go down as one of the best QB's in NFL history. He's light years away from being the worst.

I'll be rooting for him to get his 2nd ring.

11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Are you kidding? I live in San Diego! I've been listening to the uneducated masses trying to convince people that the Chargers are the bestest ever but, the NFL hates them and that's why Fouts and Rivers have never won anything meaningful!

12. DSteelerCT

Nov 15, 2011
    I think that's a matter of perception on your part, and the other half feel the same way when it comes to Brady. Bottom line, the NFL pimps up those two players, as it brings them money. Therefore, the media buys in and so do the casual fans (which is who the NFL markets to, thus the numerous rule changes).

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well I'll put it this way. When he played for the colts there tons of "Colts fans" around here. Suddenly he goes to Denver and now there are tons of "Denver fans" around here. Is that perception or reality? LOL! I agree 100% that the LEAGUE wants him to win though. My goodness they've changed the rules because of his whining (playoff rule modification) and they even flat out cheated on national tv in 05 to try and help him against us. Joey Porter was literally even calling the refs out for cheating on the field in that game.

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    As of right now, I'm the biggest Cam Newton fan on planet earth, Hoth, Tattoine, Alderan, Mars, Venus, Uranus, Pluto, and all points in between. LOL! The enemy of my enemy is my friend and all that...

15. DSteelerCT

Nov 15, 2011
    Some people are fans of players more than teams. For that, I say to each his own. I tease my brother often, for example, as he's been a Cowboys, Denver, and GB fan over the last 40 years. He loved Favre and when he played for MN, he was really torn and I believe he rooted for MN when they played each other. That's not for me, but I'm not going to cast stones to those who go that route, as they're entitled.

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm totally gonna cast stones. LOL! I really think the true definition of a fan is someone that picks a team and sticks with them proudly even when they're horrible. It's one thing to "root" for someone but the real term "fan" is more of a sacred term for me. I just have more respect for people like that I guess more so than I do a bunch of frontrunners. I mean look at that Seattle fan base. I think they're a bandwagon base if I've ever seen one. Certainly they are entitled to do that but I just think it's weak.

17. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Blount - it really comes down to Manning vs. Brady and for many on this site they might not love Manning but they sure as heck like him more than Brady. I think there is more fawning for Brady because of the championships, but as I have pointed out, Manning actually has a slightly higher QB rating in the playoffs and I know that stat isn't necessarily the final story but it gives you some perspective.

For all your hatred of Manning back in his heyday with the Colts, they were a blast to watch with Manning routinely making exciting plays downfield as opposed to a QB in Brady who has made his career out of 5-10 yard slants and rub routes. Even in the days of Randy Moss, Brady still opted for his backs and Welker and Moss in the slot than an aerial circus. We can respect Brady for being the perfect QB for this era, but it doesn't mean we have to fawn over it.

18. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    They won those SBs because they got away from Ben being a game manager. Ben was a game manager his rookie season and during the 2nd season, but not during the playoffs. After that he has never really been a game manager. Even the 2008 season where they won the 2nd one with Ben, Ben was at times reckless that season, but they still turned over the keys to him on offense. Remember the Steelers actually did not have a great running game that season - they averaged a little over a 100 yards a game, nothing too impressive.

The formula for winning back then was having a great defense + a QB who could make plays.

I always thought the game manager label for Ben early in his career was off, he has always been closer to playing more like Brett Favre, a gunslinger. Tom Brady was actually more of a game manager (and a good one) the first 3-4 years of his career compared to Ben.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I picked Carolina to win it all last week but after watching Denvers performance today, I think their defense has a good shot at shutting down Cam and company.

No matter who wins though, It will be an enjoyable SB to watch, now that NE is out of it and crying in their chowder :lolol:

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I was gonna say the same thing about Ben early in his career. We won on his arm in the playoffs. The colts came ready in that game to stop the run and Ben came out slinging it and we won. In 08 Ben was DEFINITELY more than a game manager. A game manager doesn't win on a last minute drive with a beautiful pass like Ben threw to Santonio. I've always felt it was unfair too.

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I picked Carolina earlier this year and that's who I'm sticking with. Ironically I've always hated that team even since the Jake Delhomme and Steve Smith days and even didn't like D Will til he got here. However I suddenly feel a shift in the force and my hatred has became love...odd...

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Forehead is coming for you blount, he'll be in your dreams leading up to the SB and in your nightmares after he wins another ring.

You know defense wins these SB's.

*sung to the nationwide tune* Peyton Manning SB MVP :hehehe:

23. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    You're right that d wins it and that's why the Panthers are gonna win. Their d is very good and their offense is good enough to generate enough points to win. I don't think Denver will be able to go upfield and if Carolina pins them deep I think we will be looking at a replay of Super Bowl 48. Carolina is a lot like that Seattle team that pounded them. Stout d with a dangerous qb that can get out of the pocket and drive defenses crazy. Cam actually has 50 td's this year I think. Their offense can steamroll people. I think Denver has hit another buzzsaw.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Carolinas defense is not what Seattle was when they pounded Denver, come on man, you're just hoping now :lolol:

Denver's D is closer to Seattle's then Carolina is. They just shut down Brady, Gronk, Elderman, you better start sweating.

25. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011