1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL says Bryant`s tumbling TD catch was no good

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    none of it matters because the call they just made for the Cardinals throws it out the window.

2. nofieldfive

nofieldfive Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2015
    i thought it was similar to Brown's catch against the Raven's - ball was moving against the body but always had control. I thought both were catches.

3. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Ya know Lady Steel, I spent 30 years in the Marine Corps and whenever someone was telling me this Marine Corps order says it SHOULD be done this way. I usually put my foot in their azz. That clown blandino said I don't think it was a catch and the officials did right by staying with the call. No wonder no one knows what a catch is. But thanks for the link. BTW none of that rant was directed at you

edit. Is blandino a Steeler Hater?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    First off I hate when they do this kind of crap. Why go back and say that they made a mistake? They did it to Brown in that Raven's game too. All it does it make a loss hurt and piss you off that the refs can't get it right. Which leads to my 2nd point here, they reviewed it!! How can they review in NY during the game, call it a TD or no TD only to realize "oops we messed up". What changed? Were there suddenly more angles?

Going back and doing this really serves no purpose IMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    These NFL rules of what is a touchdown catch and what's not is ridiculous. Now when a touchdown catch is made they have to check with NY to confirm. They really need to simplify this and go back to how it was.

This is causing so much confusing and seems every game there is a controversial catch. Why would they want this ! :facepalm::facepalm:

6. CanadianSteelerFanatic

CanadianSteelerFanatic New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    He did have two feet in.

7. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    The NFL rulings are getting more redicules than the Supreme Courts!! Lawyers should be banned from all deciscion making in all matters.

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I wondered the same thing. It's the play offs, ffs, there must be other things to talk **** about.

9. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    It was clear to me that wasn't a catch but screw Cincy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Reading the actual quotes, it's an awful lot of double speak (attorney talk) that doesn't ever really come to an actual conclusion. Misleading headline too, as it's not the NFL that said anything.... just some blowhard TV talking head.

11. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Last night I saw 3 catches from Larry Fitzgerald that I would have called incomplete. Took 2 steps foot hit out he threw the ball
    Caught it going down the ball moved then he dropped it kinda threw it so hoping for no challenge
    Last one he caught it, he never was touched but ball moved when he hit as he went out he pushed the ball again.
    BUT I was ok with them cause Fitz is a great guy and I didn't want to see Rogers later in Feb.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Too late to second guess calls made in a game a week ago, that catch Janis made for the packers in the endzone to go into overtime was quite a juggling act, is the NFL going to call it a no catch later this week????

13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This. It's literally a catch, but it just doesn't fit within the NFL's ridiculous catch rules.

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Thats just it, what catch rules, every ref has a different interpretation of whats a catch, even the league is going to have the rules committee remake what defines a catch in the off season..........

15. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I wish they would just give the refs discretion to determine what is and isn't a catch. Have the ref determine whether he felt the ball was being controlled. Just because a ball is moving or is even being bobbled a tiny bit, that doesnt' mean there's not control. Have the refs look at a replay and determine whether he had control of the ball or not, regardless of how much it moves or when it moves. Guys are scared to even tuck the ball away these days when going out of bounds because they are trying so hard to make sure the damn thing doesn't move an inch.

Same with going to the ground. If you hit the ground hard, the ball is going to move, sometimes a lot. The question is, was it still being controlled, yes or no? Let the refs use their discretion. Like that Dez catch last year in the playoffs, he clearly reached, which is why the ball came out when he hit the ground.

16. QuasidodoJr

QuasidodoJr Active Member

Jan 10, 2016
    In that same article he confirms that the Shazier hit on Bernard was legal, much to the dismay of Bungles fans. If that was the case, why did his TD not count?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Same thing with that tu*d who went to the seahags camp in the following year to apologize for a holding call he called. One that was posted here with the three hands in it. 2 belonged to the Steeler Dlineman and the 3rd was on his shoulder pointing down

18. PitJax

PitJax Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No one knows what a catch is anymore. To me, if a player catches the ball, it is a catch.

19. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Cause the whistle blew

20. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I can't figure out how that hit is legal. The NFL rules clearly state you can't lead with the crown of your helmet outside the tackle box. It was a new/modified rule put in last year. I can't figure it out

21. QuasidodoJr

Jan 10, 2016
    He said it had to do with the angle Shazier took, Bernard being a runner and that he did not deliberately spear with the crown of his helmet.

And I'm aware the whistle blew. Just not sure why he didn't say the TD should have counted since there should not have been a stoppage on the play.

22. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Bernard being a runner is not mentioned anywhere in the rule. Listen, I'm glad it wasn't called and I'm glad Shazier wasn't fined, I'm just trying to understand the rules. Here is what I see in the rules

ARTICLE 8. INITIATING CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF THE HELMET. It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

23. QuasidodoJr

Jan 10, 2016
    I would guess they deem the contact to be incidental, since they determined he was not intentionally leading with the crown of his helmet.

24. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Bernard was within 3 yards of the line.

25. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Bernard was very clearly outside the tackle box and it wasn't close. But I guess they determined Shazier didn't "line him up" which is why it was a legal hit. Just very confusing. As the rule is written, it's illegal, but they apparently have all kinds of unwritten criteria that need to also be met depending on the weather that day. The rules are out of control in the NFL.