1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm taking a vacation from this board for a while

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steeldefense08, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Too much whining and end of the world thoughts. You got :

- trade Ben
    - BA is gone and people are worried about bens reactions and no OC hired
    - butler is most likely gone and people are saying there is no replacement for DC next yr

2. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    people are afraid of the unknown.We will be fine.

3. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It's just talk. But have a good vacation. :good:

4. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    I also heard Troy taking next year off for family time. ;)

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought the more disturbing ones are
    - Art Rooney II is turning into Jerry Jones
    - The Owner has no right to decide how his team is run and what system they use.
    - With out Ben this team will never go to another super bowl

6. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    Good one. Co-sign.

7. Ronak

Ronak Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just take it all with a grain of salt. It's really only 1 or 2% of the posters who are being negative nancy and trying to stir everything into a panic. Of course people have the right to critique things. But, less doom and gloom guys, come on.

Having been a Steelers fan since the mid 70's, I can tell you that even though this is an awesome franchise, no team anywhere can win the superbowl for 37 consecutive seasons. Be happy with our amazing success, and our 6 titles. There is more to come.

8. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    Agreed.

9. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    a year removed from a super bowl, we decide to retain lebeau (who might have maybe a year left in him?) and let his heir-apparent (butler) walk, while forcing out our OC. further, by all accounts, one man in a leadership position that plays little role in personnel decisions and day-to-day schematics, is making all of these decisions. this same man is, apparently, forcing HIS offensive philosophy onto the coaching staff. i think your (and others') laissez-faire attitude towards this developing situation is more disturbing than your being disturbed that others are disturbed.

this franchise has run effectively for about four decades straight (primarily under the direction of the chief and dan). even our so-called 'down year's (the 80s) saw us in an afc championship game and several post-season trips. it has been the result of consistency. only two head coaching changes in that entire four decades. and a seemingly hands-off approach from the leadership within this organization. great leaders . . . LEAD! they choose the right people to perform in the areas that they excel at and let them do their work.

i train business professionals and leaders all over the country. this is the stuff i teach. the greatest thing a leader can do upon leaving his position is to have an heir-apparent ready to succeed him. it's how coca-cola thrived after their CEO retired. great leaders delegate, they don't dictate. henry ford was once mocked by the press at the time as being rather unintelligent. at a press conference, they quizzed him on a variety of topics of which he confessed ignorance. as the laughter grew at the idea that the press had proven him to be an incompetent fool, he pressed one button, a dozen men entered the room, and ford proclaimed, "i don't need to know the answers to these questions. i have, at my employ, a dozen men specialized in each of these areas. i'm leaving now. they can answer your questions."

i'm not certain art rooney is inserting himself too much into the day-to-day operations of this team, but in a very short time, he has made more interesting decisions than dan rooney made in the past two decades - or, at the very least, he's been more vocal about it. praise the quiet leader. beware the vocal one (dan snyder, jerry jones, al davis, etc . . . ).

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh no, we definitley can, it just may take another 25 years ;)

11. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    GREAT post :thumbs_up: Co Sign

12. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    thats what most people around here cant seem to grasp. they can hate Ben all they want for his off the field issues and for some of his on the field decisions, but the bottom line is hes a proven winner and so was Bradshaw. both took a beating from the fans, but both never gave up and last time i checked, between the both of them they have more rings than any other team in history.

13. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't hate Ben and to the OP see ya buddy you gonna miss some good draft talk

14. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Don't let the door hit ya.

15. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

There is no way you can say that in the past the Rooney's have been "hands off". Stories are blown way out of proportion these days due to the relentless pursuit of the media. They will blow up any story to get hits, it happens every offseason. Art coming out and saying we are going to get back to Steeler football is hardly anything like what Jerry Jones ruins in Dallas. Dan Rooney may have done similar things in the past, however the stories didn't get blown out of proportion as they do now days. I have complete confidence in the Rooney's and the entire Steeler's organization...those 6 trophies weren't just handed to us.

16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    SD08, do me a favor. Grab your local newspaper and look at the front page. See any good news on there? Anything rosy and optimistic? What about an article about somebody doing a good deed? In all likelihood what you see is what's on the front page of most newspapers, gloom, despair and agony on me! Bad news and negativity sells. Sorry, guy, but it just does. Most of us come to this message board to catch up on all things Steelers and I think it's just human nature to be negative and second guess the decisions being made in the off-season. The thing for you to do is to stick around and defend your position. I will on occasion post something negative but I usually try to articulate the reason why I'm posting what I am. Sleep on it and if you still feel the same way in the morning then I guess it's goodbye.

17. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    If we all shared the same opinion internet message boards would become very boring and possibly extinct. The occasional eye-popping post/thread keeps things interesting and entertaining.

18. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

no, the six trophies weren't just handed to us. they were ALL earned under an organization piloted by the chief and dan rooney as the face of the franchise. it's apparent that this is a time of transition as dan has stepped aside and allowed art to take on a greater role in the organization.

please don't suggest art has merely tweeted something like, "time to get back to steelers football! smiley face, lol, bff, etc" he, in essence, FIRED the offensive coordinator and made it clear a new philosophy would be implemented.

enough about the 'media is blowing this story up' drivel. dan would have never gone public with a comment like that. art has. this has always been a very private team. everything has always been handled internally. i'm certainly not condemning art for ANYTHING at this point. but his actions HAVE put a blip on the radar and it IS intriguing, and important, to take note of how he's handling his bigger leadership role. he has quietly assumed the reigns of this organization. let's hope he maintains the status quo.

19. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    :amen: :amen: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

20. Steeltradition83

Oct 21, 2011

I wouldn't say they were all won under the Chief and Dan, I'll give you the first 4 but the last two you cannot tell me Art didn't have a greater hand in how things have been run and including the last appearance. Dan has been the Ambassador to Ireland since 2009, Art has been in control for more than the last 2 months.

Yes he fired the OC, our offense has been sub par for some time now. And I am not trying to start the BA war, I understand player also have an impact on that. But a 21st ranked offense with all the weapons we have is totally unacceptable. Last year Art said we need to be better situational running team, which did not happen this year. 5 wide on 3rd and 1 is not acceptable. BA called a couple great games this year but he also has called more horrific games. In the end he had to be held accountable.

What do you mean enough about the Media blowing this stuff up? Are you living under a rock? James Harrison can't J walk without someone writing a 2 page article about him. You cannot tell me that the media does not go way overboard with at least 50% of the stories the report during the off season, there isn't anything going on like i said all they are worried about is getting hits on their stories. How can you say your not condemning Art for anything, in your previous post you pegged him as a "vocal owner" and grouped him with others like dan snyder, jerry jones, al davis. He put a blip on the radar by firing a sub par OC and basically restated his point from last year that they need to be a better situational offense? I see nothing wrong with that, if anything I am glad he isn't afraid to hold people accountable and let everyone know what is expected. It's not like he is calling out his player and coaches on national tv.

21. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    These types of threads are par for the course this time of year on any fan board, even any Steelers board.

Even after winning a SB, you'll see threads like this. There aren't games to rehash, it's not FA season. The draft is still a long way away. People need to talk about something. ;)

I don't post much during the long off-season because I don't watch much college football, so I can't really talk about the draft with a lot of conviction, and I'm not a salary cap guru. But I enjoy reading posts from people who make them about those things. I'll insert my $0.02 every now and then, but if I have nothing to really say, I don't say it. ;) If there's a thread that doesn't interest me, I ignore it (well, I used to. I have to at least scan them now).

We also have sub-forums to bide our time. Our members should use them. It's a long off-season, so talking about other sports, or other off-topic things lets us stay active on the board, get to know each other a little better, and pass the time waiting for the next big Steeler events to discuss. (Yes, I'll pimp those sub-forums every chance I get :cool: )

Take a break if it's too much for you. Or just "mark thread read" the threads that don't interest you or annoy you. :)

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree with Ray. It's the off-season. Plus, every so often in the ludicrous threads you get a gem of wisdom. Not very often, admittedly, but still.

23. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    :this!:

24. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    this same man is, apparently, forcing HIS offensive philosophy onto the coaching staff. i think your (and others') laissez-faire attitude towards this developing situation is more disturbing than your being disturbed that others are disturbed

I am deeply disturbed at you being disturbed with others that aren't disturbed enough to satisfy your appetite for disturbedum. That being said, I am disturbed at the lack of being disturbed about how disturbed people should be over this very disturbing situation. :shrug:

25. Steeltradition83

Oct 21, 2011
    How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? :hehehe: