1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we really need to use Tight ends more?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by silverbackforpres, Jan 22, 2012.

1. silverbackforpres

silverbackforpres Member

Nov 13, 2011
    A lot of Steeler fans are saying we need to use Heath more and more double tight ends. I believe Heath is right were he needs to be. I would not take touches away from the the other wr. This year for example was his second highest production in rec and yards. We need to utilize our rb s better , more screens less empty backfields etc. And we need the correct backs in the game. More Redman!!! Thoughts?

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree, that with the weapons we have now, 50-60 catches for Heath isn't bad. But when it was only Ward and Randel El and he still was only getting 50, that was very frustrating. You're also right that we need to get the RBs into the passing game more.

But I think part of the problem is that we don't look for him enough. A looooot of times you see Ben throw a 10 yard incompletion when Heath was wide open for a 5 yard gain + YAC. Maybe that's getting picky. That's more of a philosophy thing. For example, during last year's failed Super Bowl comeback on the final drive, he had Heath open twice and likely would have given us a first down, but he tried to cram it into a receiver a little farther downfield.

So in a sense, it's not about "who do you take the touches away from?" like you're bringing down other receivers' numbers. You're taking the touches out of Ben's incompletion column, which could lead to longer drives and more production from everyone.

3. silverbackforpres

silverbackforpres Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Good point , for Ben moving forward he has got too hit the open man, which has been Heath. To often this year and years past Ben didn't go through his progressions and missed open men. I know some will say "that's just Ben"' well that's we're we need improvement.

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I dont know if we do but them Pats sure use there TEs alot....and they did ok this season

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think saunders may take some catches away from heath next year. he's got those WR roots. he could become an effective weapon. overall though it should give ben more open marks. he should help in the run game too. he's a big boy. :cool:

6. Forged Steel

Forged Steel Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Heath is a great athlete and should be in the game plan more. The game is evolving and TE's are huge weapons when used right. Just look at Jimmy Graham, Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkoski, and Vernon Davis. The tight end usually gets covered by a linebacker which is a mismatch in favor of the offense. Instead of looking for the 40 yard bomb we should look at Heath more who is ofte wide open underneath.

7. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    we could use a faster athlete at TE at times. Not instead of Miller but to add to another package. Plus would be a help in red zone. Bigger guy

8. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    As long as his production doesn't drop...and he's used when he should be and in the right ways. I have no problem with it. TE's are having big games/seasons recently and i think Heath COULD do the same if used in similar ways though.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The difference is in most of those cases that they are faster than you're average LB (especialy Davis). Heath isn't. What makes Heath great is his catching and his blocking, but not necesssarily his running.

I have high hopes for Saunders to be the kind of guy that Greg the man Lloyd is talking about, though.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Unfortunatley, we have to use are TE alot for pass blocking
    because of our OL. Millers touches should stay about the same,
    If we get an OC that understands the importance of the run game
    in the overall offensive scheme, his touches will come down.

11. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:

12. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He's not in that kind of league in a straight sprint, but don't forget he's also a great route runner. Hines Ward has been slow his whole career, but always been able to get open. Heath is still faster than what was considered a traditional TE 10 years ago, and still a good matchup against a LB in my book.

As far as Saunders goes, I have hopes for him too, but is he faster than Heath? I haven't seen him run much.

13. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    You young money receivers were just dominating opponents in the end of the season and playoffs. They scored so many points for us and winning us games. Why would we throw to Heath Miller and Hines Ward when we are already elite on offense?

Oh wait...