1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What About Todd Haley as a new OC ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jim90, Jan 19, 2012.

1. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Totally agree with this sentiment. While he may be some offensive genius, it appears that his chemistry is way off and I don't want any kind of negative energy around the facility.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This stuff cracks me up. I would say that I can't wait until Ben retires so you guys can see what it means not to have a elite QB but that would mean I would have to suffer through it too. And yes, Ben is elite, I don't give a crap what anyone says. It's been said a million times but people seem to ignore it so I'll keep saying it so maybe it will sink in, how many QB's did we have to sift through after TB until a QB of Bens caliber was found? 7 of them and 21 years of waiting. But no, Ben has an attitude, Ben doesn't check down, Ben runs around too much, Ben pump fakes too much. Remember all that when we have to go through the Bubby Bristers, Cliff Stouts, Mark Malones, Mike Tomczaks, Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewarts and Neil O'Donnels of the world before getting another stud QB.

Also, Haley is a nut job and had what, 1 good season with Arizona? Yeah lets throw him the job. If BA goes I certainly hope they bring in someone much better them Haley. The idea is to improve on offense, not just get someone who will yell at Ben so you guys and get your jollies from it.

3. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    :thumbsup:
    And that was with quite possibly the most down-to-earth, coachable and cerebral QB to play the game: Kurt Warner. I sense ugly clashes between Todd Haley and the players he coaches for the rest of his career. Kurt Warner had a tendency to make OC's look a lot better than they really are/were (Mike Martz).

4. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    I like Haley, and if he is hired he would do fine. A guy that is that passionate about his job is always a good hire. I thought he got the raw deal in KC, that team had many injuries early in the season and they played hard when the chips were way down.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    interesting that healey turned down offers from the jets and cards

6. jsteelers077

jsteelers077 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Maybe he has some insite we dont have? and just waiting on the phone call.

7. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Haley and his dad are my cuz's. I never met either of them but, Haley did ok in Super Bowl XL against us. Besides The Haley's are from Midway, just down the road maybe 20 miles from the field. Don't think I'd have a problem with him. And him being my Cuz, I still don't think I'd get free tickets because he don't know me either on sight Haha! The cuz never met part is true btw. Also his dad Dick, was a DB for the Steelers way back before the front office gig.

8. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Haley has run ins with guys because he expects perfection. Yes, I think he can be a jerk, but maybe a little fire on the sidelines would help us, I don't know.

I would consider him, but I would look at others as well.

9. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    "a little fire on the sidelines" is okay if it's the right situation. most successful nfl coaches over the years have been composed leaders (noll, walsh, landry, belichik amongst the most successful coaches in nfl history).

when i think of over-the-top emotional coaches i think of special teams coaches like bobby april whose 'displays' look embarrassing.

some might think it's cool, but there's nothing cool about one of your star wr's (boldin) screaming at your oc on the sideline of a playoff game.

i question whether ben's personality and haley's personality would gel. ben doesn't seem like the kind of dude who would appreciate a young coach screaming at him. i know i wouldn't.

10. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Haley does have fire, but you really thing a prima donna WR (Boldin in AZ) isn't difficult to deal with?

Haley had an okay season in AZ and had a decent season as a HC in 2010. 2011 could easily be attributed to the many offensive injuries they endured as well.

I think Haley is probably an a$$ too, but I'd like to see something going on the sidelines. Between Tomlin, Arians, Lebeau, I don't know if I've seen any of them showing any emotion during a game in recent history. Bring in some passion and fresh blood.

11. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Like a Cowher spitting moment. lol did Cowher ever rip into Ben after a bonehead play?

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Much better choices out there that I have heard so far. If they choose Haley I will pick up the mantle of firing the OC - F.T.H.I. !!!

13. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    he had an "okay season in az?" you mean, the year they went to the super bowl? i guess i'd call that 'okay.' yeah, that'd qualify.

still, the cardinals were horrible until kurt warner showed up. instantly, they were better. great job, haley!

he also got into it with matt cassel. cassel, by all standards, doesn't come across as a primadona at all.

by all accounts, the players in kc didn't care for him and the mangement liked him even less (which is to say they didn't like him at all).

14. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    No. Absolutely, no.

15. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    They need someone who can coach and teach Ben, someone who will get in his face when he does something stupid on the field like what happened to Brady when he through that INT against the Redskins in the end zone. The OC went off on him.

I really don't care who it is, as long as we score TD's and win games. A few things that I hope the neww oc does is have more emphasis on the run, and focus on A lot of short passes and screen passes to the running backs out of the back field, that will slow down that pass rush and keep Ben up right.