1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin butchered clock management

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by numbah58, Nov 1, 2015.

1. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah Will Johnson is a little used receiver.... a starting WR would have known to come back for the ball. WJ didn't fight for the ball but should have come back for it and prevented the CB from having that chance. But that's a part time player mistake.... we shouldn't have been relying on WJ to make a game saving play. Game should have been taken care of well before that point.

Outside of 38 seconds.... I thought the team could have managed time better between the opening drive.... and the end of the game.... those 50+ minutes seemed a bit more critical to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    THe only highlighted statement above that is true is Ben having a bad game. And go watch the Will J play again, he sees the pass coming and begins to lean away from it, all he had to do was lean into it, there is no fighting with the DB needed, the DB wouldnt have been able to jump in front of him at that point. Its pretty obvious. I like Will and hes not a receiver so Im not going to kill him for it but it was his fault. I mean I guess Ben should never throw the ball if there is a defender within 25 yards.

Yes, because I am sure you have never agree with an analyst before but I guess in those instances they know what they are talking about. Analysts are people with opinions just like you and I, I happen to agree with the assertion that Haley tries to be too smart and ends up doing dumb things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Sure I agree with their opinions from time to time, but they are exactly that....opinions. I would not go so far as to type it out trying to prove my point, but to each his own.

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not prove, support an opinion. Its a little silly to suggest someone never cite an analyst for something.

5. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Definitely see your point. It was a day that numerous things went wrong. It happens. But singling out the possible loss of a few seconds was being played up because it just might have turned the bad day around.

Well anyhow for me it's time to move on. Get ready for what has set up to be a very important game which very likely will have a large sayso in the wild card mix. Right now at 4-3 both the Raiders and Jets have a slight edge on the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    2006 after motorcycle accident:

18 TD 23 INT 75.4 Rating

Whisenhunt quote: "I just saw some things where physically you could tell he wasn't as confident as the year before. A lot of that I think was just recovering from the injuries and not being sure whether he was 100 percent or not."

Ben's former OC seems to think he played differently from a mental standpoint due to injury.

2012 Back from ankle injury vs Chargers:

22/42 285 3 TD 1 INT 2 Fumbles 34-24 Chargers.

2011 Back from injury vs 49ers:

25/44 330 0 TD 3 INT 2 Fumbles 20-3 Niners

7. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Tomlin did play a role in the loss, obviously. He always talks about "3 phases" being offense, defense and special teams. No mention of a "clock management" or "playcalling" phase haha.

Tomlin keeps Tomlin out of Tomlin's doghouse week after week.

Botched field goals consecutive weeks? Gone! Botched playcalling/clock mgmt consecutive weeks in consecutive seasons? Playing for championships, boys!

Haha.

8. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    I can't take anyone seriously that doesn't put this one on Ben. Ben is the #3 QB in the NFL but yesterday he was plain bad.

Tomlin's biggest mistake was not taking pressure off Ben by focusing on the run. Deangelo can get it done.

Hopefully Ben is healthy for next week and puts this one behind him.

Hey Tomlin... maybe establish the run next week? Run some slants with AB and ins with Heath to get Ben in a rhythm early?

9. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    LOL AB running slants

10. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    70% of AB's catches were on slants, screens or other short routes last year.

40% of his yards were gained after the catch.

But you're right they started the game trying to get Ben in a rhythm: all short passes from the shotgun.

11. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know how this thread turned into a debate about Ben's crucial INT on the pass to Will Johnson, but I'll weigh in.

Johnson didn't make the effort he should have, but he did make the effort you'd expect. The man is not a receiver. He's a seldom-used FB/TE guy, who touches the ball a handful of times per year, and certainly isn't used to running around downfield like AB.

Ben made a risky throw to a covered player - that's the kind of throw you only make to a guy you trust to out-wrestle the ball from the defense, or the kind of throw you make on 4th down. I think he made it on 1st down, in his own territory, in a low scoring game we were leading with 5 minutes left. Knowing the situation makes it even worse. He shouldn't have made that pass even if it was AB. Given the time and space he had, he could have thrown it away, run out of bounds for a 2 yard gain, taken a knee and surrendered...

Blame assignments:

15% - Will Johnson
    50% - Ben Roethlisberger
    35% - Fantastic play by the Bengals

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I havent seen a single person who has said Ben didnt play bad.

I cant take anyone seriously who can't levy any blame towards Haley. Tomlin doest call the games, everyone knows he allows his coordinators to operate freely.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  13. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I have nvr liked Tomlin, and it seems his coaching and game/clock management is just getting worse

14. aregeejay

aregeejay Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2014
    Maybe it's time that the Rooneys hire an "Official Clock Manager" to "strongly advise" Herr Tomlin on his seemingly inability to manage a game clock. Get a bigger clock. Make it digital. Put alarms on it. Connect it to the Air Force Atomic timekeepers in Colorado. Heck, put it in BRAILLE.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Certainly wouldnt call a 3 TD 285 yard performance a bad game. Trouble with ball security, yes but Id have to watch to see how much of that was on him.

Blaming a season on the motorcycle accident is a huge reach. Whiz and Ben werent exactly chummy.

16. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben also had his appendix removed to start that year too. It was just like a perfect storm of a lot of things that year.

17. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Here's what Ben said about that INT and it actually made me even MORE mad and speaks to how I've questioned their IQ and we've ALL questioned their clock "management". Ben seriously said in his presser that he didn't want to throw it away because he wanted to keep the clock running. Dude you can't make this stuff up! That's what he said. I almost flipped my lid when I heard him say that! I'm like "YEAH! LET'S RISK A GAME TURNING INT INSTEAD OF JUST STOPPING THE CLOCK FOR A FEW SECONDS AND AT WORST PUNTING THE BALL AWAY AND REVERSING FIELD POSITION!" I mean WOW!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    THAT 285 yard 3 TD performance was a bad game. You must be looking past the 7 3 and outs, Ben's fumble returned for a TD and the interception on his own 17. Didn't win the field position that day to be sure.

I would say that Whisenhunt and Ben would have been on good terms immediately after winning a Super bowl together. One would think.

Maybe the motorcycle had no effect. Whisenhunt was only his OC for three seasons (Arians knows him better). Don't shoot the messenger. I just remembered a quote I saw from an NFL head coach that I assumed would know Ben really well.

Ben's 75 passer rating didn't look good on Whisenhunt's resume that's for sure and may have hindered him becoming HC. He could have been bitter about Ben's performances making him look bad.

19. steelraynm

steelraynm Member

Sep 15, 2015
    same ole Big Ben, chokes everytime there's a big game. Very shaky, not getting rid of the ball fast enough.... but what else is new??? as for Dumb-lin, I've seen his clock management movie time and time again. Too bad cause D played their hearts out. Nice to see Cam Thomas not participating much, probably why D played much better.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Clock management has been poor for years. Who's fault is it? For starters it begins with the guy on the field, Ben. If he claims to be able to call his own plays, that includes clock management. If he is not qualified etc. then who is coaching him, Haley. If he's not doing his job, Tomlin.

All of the above.

Ben's forte never has been thought based. He plays well when he does so athletically. He plays poorly when he does not. Don't ask him to think. He has played well since Haley came on board because of better coaching and play calling. Someone other than Ben apparently needs to do time management.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    All this arm chair QB talk about clock management, there were many in the Pittsburgh media didn't have a problem with not using a timeout. Bottom line is Ben played like a rookie and was garbage he lost the game, throwing ints on consecutive series :facepalm:.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not disagreeing with you, but are you basing your judgement on"Pittsburgh media"?

23. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought my statement was pretty vanilla.. Clock-management was butchered and I'll stand behind it.

• Like Like x 1
  24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Plenty of blame to go around but ultimately it all lies at the feet of the HC. Just because he allows his coordinators free reign doesn't absolve him from blame ,which I know you weren't directly implying. Since he does allow what I consider too much unsupervised decision making ,I'm often times wondering what it is exactly he does. He definitely doesn't check the boxes listed situational football and clock management. There are just getting to be too many bonehead game plans and decision making coming from our entire staff and players. I agree wholeheartedly with BFT......we are dumb.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    :butcher::cool: