1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Ben Elite?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jeh1856, Nov 1, 2015.

1. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Problem is the D likely played its best game of the year today, yet the offense scored enough to beat only 2 other lowly teams this week - the 49ers and the Titans. All other teams in the league scored more.

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Watch Rodgers under duress tonight and see if he looks elite with guys in his face. He has honestly looked pretty pedestrian early on.

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah. Hannah Montana! Thanks to G..D...ed DirectTv, I had to watch the game on my laptop. Despite the small screen size, I'm sure I saw Dalton get picked off, sacked, pressured into bad throws, etc.
    Montana indeed!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Good post.

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    As far as "elite" status goes, do you suppose the Ravens fans would give back the first Lombardi because Dilfer wasn' an "elite" quarterback?

6. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    The funny thing with Ben is he is more accomplished QB today than he was 5 years ago, but for some reason he has lost his mojo. Guy used to be someone who would find a way to win in crunch time, just doesn't seem to be there anymore.

7. Supersteeler

Supersteeler Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    And yet he has had the best 2 years of his career statistically by FAR. Most QB's would kill to "lose" that mojo.

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Ben is a great QB and I think everyone in the back of their minds knew that Ben would be rusty and we'd have a tough time pulling out a win in this one. Some of the play calling seemed a little strange (A lot of deep passes) considering he didn't seem like he was able to fully step into his passes. Tomlin wasn't having a great day either.

9. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    But in all fairness is that really the intent of posting this thread. I think the point of the thread is that certain QBs (Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Manning or least the Manning just a year removed) just consistently go out each week and either play very good to outright sensational and thus for long periods of a season can pretty much put the team on their back. Can Ben really do that? We saw the two games last year where he played out of his mind against Indy and the Ravens and then he followed that up with a complete clunker against the Jets. It is like with Ben we see 2-3 good to great games, then we get a clunker.

Also - I would vote Ben into the HOF, but I do not think it is foregone conclusion he gets in. I still think he needs another 3 years minimum and maybe 4-5 good years to solidify his status. In an age where stats are pored over, the days of Bob Griese type guys getting in is going to be pretty tough (and yes I think Ben is >>>>> better than Bob Griese).

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Dude it's pointless to even try.

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've gone back and forth with this question. I've always said he's almost elite and more like top tier franchise. After last season and the start of this season I was warming up to him maybe actually being an elite quarterback. Then he goes out and lays an egg in what was basically a must win game. I've read a lot of comments about him being rusty and he probably was, but I've seen him play games like this while perfectly healthy too, throwing deep balls up for grabs and floating passs over his receivers' heads.

Elite? I'm not sure. I just think guys named Brady, Rodgers, Brees and Manning would have figured out a way to score at least 17 today. What a wasted effort by the defense!

12. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think he is elite. He makes everyone on offense look and play better. He led the league in passing last year and without the injury may have been MVP this season.

Having said that, he stunk today so I see why this kind of thread gets started.

I think of today's performance as an outlier because the rest of his career is pretty amazing.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Unfortunately, I think there's something to that. It all started with failing to even get a 1st down in the 2 minute drill in the SB against Green Bay.

14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yes he is elite. He had a bad game. I didn't expect him to be this poor, but coming off an injury that took over a month recovery I wasn't thinking he was going to be as sharp as usual.

15. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I've always felt Sanders getting injured in that game cost us more than we think. Like he was a major part of the gameplan going in. I remember Ben trying to force it to Wallace a lot in the second half and especially that last drive.

16. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    And, man, Rogers was sooooo good that day. Almost impossibly accurate.

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    In Ben's defense it was wild how our receivers were not open I this game. AB and Martavis usually run free in secondaries and they really taken out of this game.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The Packers have generated hardly no offense tonight. Sometimes even the best just have rough days at the office. Manning hasn't been all that great this year either.

19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I know but, he might read it tomorrow when he's sober.

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think sobriety is his problem.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Rodgers not Elite tonight.
    His oline got him beat up early.

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    That's what I've been saying too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I was just about to say this. I don't feel he's invincible anymore in the final minutes like old days

24. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben is elite. The issue is our oline is down two starters for the long term. We faced a very good dline and with Ben having zero mobility that is tough to overcome. Problem is we face some pretty tough defenses coming up the next 8 games.

25. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Ralph Macchio did alright in that regard on one leg as I recall.