1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

"Life doesn't revolve around the Steelers"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Oct 22, 2015.

1. blackNgold

blackNgold Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2014
    I'm not married but every girl I've been with seems to become a fan of a Rival or the Steelers. Sneaky little devils!

It's a way of life. Just like their favorite drama TV series that they make you watch, and for some reason we end up liking it too even though we pretend we don't.

Most know that as long as we get our cherished 3-4 hours of Steeler football on a Sunday before the work week that we tend to be quite happy. (Unless they lose to the Ravens of course)

Here we go Steelers here we go!

2. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Wait... What???

You mean it`s NOT normal for your family to plan their events around the times the Steelers are playing???

When they live in Northeast Ohio, and the ones that are into football, are Clown`s fan`s???:th jawdrop2:

Wow, I guess I really am a spoiled "only child"...

My current GF didn`t believe me, when I told her that if my family wanted me to come to a birthday party/ family event, they would check with me first, to make sure the Steelers weren`t playing at the same time/day, that they wanted to get together...

Until she saw it happen... Tried to tell her, "I wasn`t kidding"...

She said, "you really are a spoiled brat"...

She might be right, but, I prefer to think of it as,

I have a very loving, and understanding family!!!:lolol::applaud::yeehaw:..

True story... When I first moved in with her, I still owned my own house, that I rented out to a friend of mine...

After the first Steeler game she saw me watch at her house, she told me I wasn`t allowed to watch the games, there, anymore...

I Guess I got too "emotional", yelling at the tv, etc...

No biggie... I just watched the rest of the games at my old house with my buddy...

The next season, he culdn`t afford to rent the house anymore..

House was sold...

I basically split time watching the games at my girl`s house, or at the bar, when they weren`t on tv...

She HATED it, when she was off work, when The Steelers played, and I was home, watching them...Apparentley, I got a little loud, for her taste...

Got the NFL Ticket, the next season, so, I NEVER had to go to the bar, to watch a game...

She was NOT happy, when it was gameday, and her schedule had her home, when the game was on...

It kind of came to a head the week that we turned the ball over EIGHT times to the Clowns!

I had never damaged her house before that(can`t say the same about my own house...Burned a broken coffee table in the fireplace, after the SB loss to GB...)...

Anyhow, I went out and punched her shed, that we had spent the previous summer restoring, and,
    knocked a fist-sized hole, in the door...

Since then, I have learned to control my emotions, while watching the games,

But, I can understand, where yinz are comin from, about the world not revolving around the game... LOL :herewego!:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. steelgirl84

steelgirl84 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I get emotional watching the games- especially when we're playing anyone in the division or the Patriots. It's frustrating when they play like crap & you know they can play a lot better. There are times I lost my voice yelling at the TV. Relatives have bought me those foam Bad Call Bricks, anything soft I can throw.
    It's nice reading everyone's stories- I have one that's the opposite though. My ex didn't watch sports- never did. But he was in the Marines. I was visiting him on the base & we went to the store before the game started. We were staying in this little beach house & I sat there with his friends- drinking beer & yelling at the TV while he was in the kitchen cooking for us. It was like we'd switch roles when the game was on.
    I know the world doesn't revolve around the Steelers. There are a FEW things that are more important. Just a few.

4. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

When me and my wife wife first started dating she said " before this goes any further I have a question, Who's you NFL team" LOL she was serious, and it would have been a deal breaker for her!

• Like Like x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Man I used to be devastated after a loss, not so much anymore. Guess it comes with age...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    ^^^This! age does tend to mellow you out. angry-old-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Those of us who got their brides mail order couldn't be as picky :)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    What's wrong with geeks and nerds???!!!:shrug: LOL!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Shared interests are great because it means early on in dating you have things that you can do together that are fun. IF you marry the person it also allows for you to spend time with that spouse in the first years of marriage but believe me that as time goes by you need to have differing interests as well so that there is time spent apart as well. This makes sure you don't grow resentful of each other and wish you could just get five minutes to yourself. As you have kids finding time together and time to yourselves becomes harder and can put stress on a relationship. I had to step away from being as active on the board last season for awhile because my wife was battling some depression issues and other things. The time I was spending on football and here was small but seemed more pronounced to her. I was able to do what I needed to help her while still having my own interests and now it is back to what is normal for us and she respects my time to be a fan which is really my only vice. Although she would like me to spend more time writing so we can live the J.K. Rowling dream which I don't think is happening because I'm not that good lol.

10. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    I was married on a Friday night. However we couldnt leave for our honeymoon until Sunday morning. We had a six hour drive to our honeymoon destination. I told my new wife we had to leave by 5am at the latest Sunday. She asked why. I told her so we had time to check in (I arranged a 11am check in before hand unbeknownst to her.) than get to a sports bar by 1 to watch the STEELERS. She wasnt happy about it. But she knew thats how it is when you marry a STEELER fan. :dfense:

11. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wow!!! Some great stories here. I've been a fan since the seventies. what first drew me was the uniforms I thought they were the best looking ones then they were wining super bowls I was hooked and everyone loves a winner. When I first met my wife she really did not care for Football and I was a diehard Steeler fan so to keep the peace I watched when I could. As time went on my wife accepted the fact that I was a lifer... and I was in it for the long haul so she tolerated my obsession with Steelers football. She even took on a team of her own, one season we played the Miami Dolphins and since she loves Dolphins and Whales she bet against me good thing we won that game or I would have never heard the last of it. During our life together we had some ups and downs when it came time for Football every season and as a diehard Steelers fan I wanted to watch each and every game regardless what was going on at the time. Yes a lot of times I felt guilty because I should have devoted all my time to my wife but on the same token I needed my Steelers Football fix. One of my wife's famous quotes was "you love the Steelers more than you love me" and I would reply with "no I don't im just a diehard fan of the best team in American football" and 'im your my life long partner and best friend till death do we part' and that would make everything all better and I lived to watch another Steelers game. Her fanfare with the Dolphins has since fizzled away and im proud to say she is my partner in crime as diehard Steelers fans and watches all the Steelers games with me and has surprised me with game tickets to include round trip air fare and accommodation's. Im a lucky man im 4 years retired from serving 20 plus years for the greatest country in the world "God Bless America, Home of the free" and my wife and I just celebrated our 30 year wedding Anniversary "it really is always a work in progress " got to have respect and trust for one another that's the key. Even though my wife gave me flack about being a diehard Steelers fan all these years, but come Christmas, Father's day my birthday etc. She always fueled my support for the Black and Gold with the latest Steelers gifts and memorabilia today she's my co-pilot as we sail this journey in support of the greatest organization in all of professional sports "GO STEELERS"

• Like Like x 3
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

Nice jammie bottoms you got on there. [​IMG]

13. Guest

Guest Guest

And the two of you shall live happily ever after. :) :towel:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank you for your service, and Happy Anniversary! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I though perhaps you were Jimmy Two Times from Goodfellas. I like to say I don't require the aid of auto correct or other technological snafus to look foolish. ;)

16. Supersteeler

Supersteeler Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Same here. 10 years ago I was a mess before, during and after the games if they went badly. As the years pass I don't get too animated and I definitely don't yell and jump up and down like I used to. I guess that's about the time my first kid was born, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but I'm certainly not as emotionally invested in it any more. I still want them to win but it somehow doesn't seem like life and death the way it used to. Like you said, maybe I'm just getting too old.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Those are his work pants. Remenber, geek/nerd. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    obviously
    checking out his a ss
    standards

19. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah my love of Ninja Turtles and Ghostbusters was what made me irresistible to my wife. LOL!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    My joints creak as arthritis sets in. I have little to no hair left on the top of my head, and lots of hair where I'd rather it not be. :facepalm: My instant recall memory has begun failing me at times. All of my kids are adults now.

But I'm not THAT old yet. ;)

21. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    SHUTUP

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I timed everything perfectly and was walking through the front door, flipped the TV on as KC was kicking the ball off. Just to watch that hot mess.:huh:

23. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    "Ya don`t quit playin, `cause ya get old... Ya get old, `cause ya quit playin"...

Or, at least, that`s what I always believed in my youth, before my body forced me to stop playin...

`Cause I got OLD... LOL!!! :lolol:...

Ya can still keep that youthful attitude, tho...:thumbs up:

Mind over matter... attitude matters more than anything!!!

GO STEELERS!!!:yeehaw:

• Like Like x 1
  24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Vacationing in Florida right now and on Saturday there wasn't a second thought when everyone wanted to watch the Huskers game. So we found a nice tiki bar and watched that train wreck. Then on Sunday the wife asked where I was going to watch the Steelers, as they were going to the beach. Kinda funny because she didn't even think twice about it. Found a Philly bar but the bartender was a Steelers fan! And half the patrons were Steelers fans!! Funny because they were rumbling the same complaints we,'ve all discussed here.

After I watched train wreck 2, I should have went to the beach, lol!

25. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

LOL. I think I will stop referring to them as potential Trap Games and start calling them potential Train Wrecks.