1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

"Life doesn't revolve around the Steelers"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Oct 22, 2015.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This was a quote from my wife today when I told her I had to be back by 1 PM on Sunday. We are going to be away on Saturday night and I stated that the Steelers are playing the early game.

At least I gave her the obvious answer "Yes it does".

Anybody else ever get some kind of crazy talk such as this?

After 19 years I thought she knew better. LOL.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think the marriage can still be salvaged but it may take some intensive counseling. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    My wife used to frequently reference being a "Steelers Widow", but has learned to adapt. After 15 years, it seems she's finally come to terms with it. She's mindful of when the Steelers games are going to be on, and knows when honey do lists have a better chance of getting done.

It's going to take a lot of work, but if they put in the massive amount of time at counseling...it just might work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

That might be better than my initial reaction which was maybe I need to check the insurance to see if it covers for lobotomies.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I agree that life does not revolve around the Steelers, but I do make sure that I am in front of a TV at kick off. I don't think that constitutes life "revolving around the Steelers" though. Maybe Im wrong? To me life revolving around the Steelers is when you cannot function after a loss. When your mood on Monday is based on what happened on Sunday. Thats too far to me.

I never get grief from my wife. But then again I do have the coolest one. Short of pulling a Lamar Odom, she kinda lets me do what I want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    There is ONE game a year where there is a conflict though. And that's late in the season when our church has the audacity to schedule the children's XMas program on a Sunday at 6....which is ALMOST ALWAYS during a late season 4 o'clock game...and usually against the Ravens. It drives me banana's but I do what is right and go to the program and follow the live ESPN gamecast on my phone.

• Like Like x 3
  7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Mine has her moments but is amazingly tolerant of my fandom. I try to make sure I have a pile of laundry in front of me that needs folding that way I am accomplishing something besides football.

• Like Like x 1
  8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We're going to a Leafs/Penguins game on halloween. The game is in Toronto, which is almost 3 hours away from where I live. I'm going to the game with her dad and her and the wife and her mom are going to go do something else. I've already informed both her and her parents that either we get up by 8 am on Sunday morning and go for breakfast so that I'm on the road by 9 am at the latest, or we sleep in a bit and then grab a fast food breakfast. I'm not screwing around on a Sunday morning 3 hours from home. Everybody needs to get their asses moving so I am home for the CBS pre-game show at noon.

The wife is so used to my obsession with football, that she didn't even question it. She realizes that it's a battle she can't win.

• Like Like x 2
  9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I always prefer 1pm games because I get home from church, eat my beans and cornbread at my mamaw's, walk across the yard, get out of my Sunday best, sit in my recliner, log on to here, watch the game, chat with my buddies, go back to church, come home, get on here, chat with my buddies, and life is great. But with 4pm games I have to leave in the middle of the game because church starts at 6pm on Sunday nights. So then I have to come back home and finish the game before I can get on here and talk about what happened. My wife totally understands my Steelers obsession and she knows never to plan anything when we are playing. I honestly just flat out refuse to do things while the team is playing. I was telling someone the other day in the game thread that I think of it as there are 365 days in the year and at BEST I am gonna get to watch the Steelers on only 20 of those days. That gives me 345 days to do whatever other useless thing that needs to be done. LOL. Honestly my "life" revolves around my wife and kids and church more than anything but the Steelers are definitely a HUGE part of my free time. Nothing wrong with that as long as I keep it all in order and perspective.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    My wife and I met up with her brother and his gf in Miami the weekend of the St Louis game. Sunday morning we drove to South Beach for brunch and I picked a place where they had Sunday Ticket. We ate and finished around noon. Those 3 got up to leave and I said "have a good time, Im staying here." My brother in law said "you're in South Beach and you're going to sit in a bar and watch the Steelers?"

Um, yeah.

Wife seriously didn't care and I did feel slightly guilty, but that faded about 1/2 way thru my second beer. They walked around, window shopped, and went sightseeing while I posted up in front of the TV with the Steelers and watched the game. They came back and joined me in the 3rd quarter.

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, we heard you the first time. :lolol:

12. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Just so you know...the part about the Church's audacity was written in jest. ;) That is the only game of the year that I don't watch.

But I do prefer the 1 oclock games. Sunday is usually my wifes time to ride her horse and thats usually between 12 and 4. So I do get the most relaxation then. I let the kids do whatever as long as they don't hurt themselves, she's at farm, and I get sole possession of the TV without interruption and small talk.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    My wife gets it. She was a marginal football fan before we met. Now she watches the games with me, and sometimes gets louder and more animated than I do when something goes great or badly. Her becoming a Steeler fan was a condition of our nuptials.

• Like Like x 2
  14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Dang it man! My pc keeps having this thing called "DNS ERR TIMED OUT" and it's like kicking me offline. So I posted that and didn't realize that it actually did. Then I got back on and it posted it again without me knowing it had been posted the first time. It's EXTREMELY annoying and it has been going on for a couple of months. I'm sick of it making a fool of me. LOL!

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh yeah I knew you were joking around. My wife actually stays upstairs while I'm watching the Steelers and wouldn't dare try and talk to me. I'm like a cartoon character with the little vertigo hypnotized things in their eyes when I'm watching them. LOL! She always knows if we are winning though because she can tell by my yelling. HA! Do you not have dvr? That's how I finish the games after church on Sunday night.

16. Supersteeler

Supersteeler Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    My wife figured it out withing the first year we were together. At times I'm sure it wore thin and has annoyed her but she definitely isn't surprised by this point. Many a Sunday when we were across the state at her parents house (before we had kids) we got up at 7 AM to start driving back to PA so we could make it in time for kickoff. Particularly in those moments I think it became annoying to her but she was a trooper.

17. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    If I can't watch live, it isn't worth it. My brother in law will dvr games. I can't do that. I cant stay away from espn or the news or facebook before I watch and Ill know what is going on and ruin it.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh yeah I never watch any of those things so it's no different to me. I do tell people though to never mention what's going on in an evening game though. I've never had a game spoiled for me so far. I refuse to check my phone until after the game. As the wise old Sensei would say, with a little "dissiprun" you can pull it off. LOL. It's like NBC used to say about reruns. "If you haven't seen it it's new to you".

19. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    My wife no longer watches games with me. She doesn't even come downstairs to the TV room on Sundays. According to her, I'm not fit for public consumption during s Steelers game. :dontknow:

• Like Like x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    My wife was a Cowboys fan before she met me. I converted her and she is a huge steelers fan now. She loves Hines and thinks he's hot. She knows my obsession with Ben lol. I used to be angry after a loss but now I get butthurt for about 5 minutes then I'm ok. When we win its extra sexy time lol

• Like Like x 1
  21. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Do I have a wife?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    You are a better man than I. The conversation in our house would go like this:
    me: Hey, the Steelers are playing, woot woot!
    wife: We have a program at church for the kids.
    me: Kids, we have kids?
    wife: Yes, you know we do and you are going!
    me: Sure, what time is the program?
    wife: 6 pm.
    me: Can the church reschedule?
    wife: I doubt it.
    me: We are changing churches immediately! Can you find a church that has the program on a different day or a pastor that is a Steelers fan?
    wife: If you don't go I'm going to take the children and leaving you!
    me: Is that really a threat? I mean tell me your going to take the tv or cancel cable then I might be worried...
    (I'm going to miss her when she is gone. Oh look the Steelers are on...)

• Like Like x 2
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is very hard when your significant other is not a football fan like my GF.
    She is alright about the Steelers, but other football takes a back seat
    so I don't watch nearly what I use too. Thank God for DVR

24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

OMG.. How many times have I heard that. hehe..

My wife was talking to me this morning about the game times. She hates 1PM games because nothing gets done ( this time of year there are alot of leaves to get up)

I tell her the same thing every year. Do not worry.. The leaves will get cleaned up lol

25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

My wife use to watch the games with me but she told me just the other day she does not like the yelling haha..When we played the chargers I said I hope they break Rivers nose lol. She left. So now I know what it is I need to do to clear the room .