1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Tomlin Before Ben Gets Back!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Blitz, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Steel Blitz

Steel Blitz Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    So, as I was driving in to work this morning, I heard one of the announcers on Sirius NFL talking about how he's sick and tired of Steelers fans calling in to the radio show after a win to complain about their head coach.

Essentially, he said:

"You have all these Steelers fans who always call in trying to fire their head coach. So you have a defense that was supposed to be weak and rebuilding with a new DC, and that same defense has managed to shut down one of NFL's elite offenses -- on top of that, they've progressed very quickly as a unit and are performing better and better, week in and week out. On the other side of the ball, you have lost your probowl center, you are now playing with your back-up's back-up at QB, and you lost your LT -- and this was supposed to be the unit that carried them through the first half of the season. And, still you come away with another win. I don't know many NFL coaches I could honestly say could pull that off. So, to all the Steelers callers who are going to call in this morning and tell us how bad your HC is, just leave the phone alone and shut it, because I don't want to hear it."

This forum is great because everyone gets to play Airmchair HC (including me), and I get just as frustrated when I see a decision that I (the armchair HC) would make differently. And, I get that we're spoiled and expect greatness every year, blah, blah blah... so do other teams. My wife's family is all from NE, so I thought about how last year, when the Pats started very poorly (WITH BRADY), none of them were calling for the HC's job. They just toughed it out and stood behind their franchise - no matter how much I razzed them. I thought that's what Steelers fans did? When did that dynamic change? We're not the same team as the 70's, and reading all these posts, I'm also guessing we're not the same fanbase either. Of course, many were saying the same thing about Cowher on this board too... until after he left. He had some rough years too... so did Noll... Why would I expect for that to change. No one will appreciate Tomlin until he's gone... which might be a long time folks.

So, for all you Armchair HC's/Owners out there, let's say we fire Tomlin now, or at the end of the season. Who would you bring in? Who is going to come in here and save this fanchise that you would be willing to support over the long haul? Or, maybe you think it's better to just pick some new-flash-in-the-pan guy every 2-3 years like some other teams? Because that model works so much better....

We let Arian's go, and he's been a great HC at Arizona. But, I don't see any SB rings on their fingers.

So, in an effort to balance out the opinions on this board, and just for the pure fun of it. I want to tell all of you who want to fire Tomlin after going 4-2 with the way this season has started (and yesterday's awesome upset) to simply do as the commentator suggested this morning, and for one day, SHUT IT! Learn to enjoy a huge upset victory for even a single day -- you're life will be much better for it.

Can't wait to see what kind of plan we have this week and who shows up to make us 5-2 before Tomlin gets fired.

GO STEELERS!

2. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Just so I'm clear, this is a thread to rag on fellow boarders who have expressed discontent with Tomlin, correct?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Jeff Fisher, power run and defensive coach. Rams fold in St. Louis I'd take Fisher

4. Steel Blitz

Oct 25, 2011

You got it DSteelerCT, just having some fun this morning. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for criticism here and there. I jumped on the board this morning expecting to read some "fun pumped-up fan trash-talking", and for the most part, all I saw was a bunch of negative comments, so in light of what I heard this morning, I figured I'd poke at the bear a little. I'm sure there will be some fired up responses to my post. This board doesn't take criticism nearly as well as Coach T, HAHA.

5. Steel Blitz

Oct 25, 2011
    I have to admit thorn, in anwering my own question, I would have to agree that he would be on a very, very short list of people I would consider as well.

6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Tomlin makes a few bone headed choices at times. That being said.
    He hasn't had a losing record team since he has been here.
    That is realistic.
    As Steelers fans, the only realistic thing to do every season is win the Super Bowl.
    If you don't do that year in and year out. It's failure and we want the coaches head(s).
    I could remember how everybody wanted Cowher fired in the late 90's and early 2000's.
    It worked out he got a Super Bowl win, and every Steeler fan thinks he is great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yeah I think steeler fans are like Kentucky basketball fans

Our team went 38-1 last year but our coach sucks and can't win the big one

People are insane. But I think that's what's cool about being a fan of a team like that

It's the love and passion that makes us say insane things like that

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I would fire Mike Tomlin for the coach that is currently the second youngest head coach in the league.

9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    So how do we know that MT hasn't been fired already and and is just pulling a Duce "Stanley" while BB is in fact running the whole show? :shrug:

10. Supersteeler

Supersteeler Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Just imagine what it would be like among Steeler fans if he actually had a losing season as head coach. You think it's bad now, it would be Armageddon.

11. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have to agree with the thread and I will go one more step. The Pats fans, Pack fans and a lot of the other AFC/NFC fans are always cheering or a lot of noise when the opposing team has the ball. I was really surprised that is not happening on a regular basis in Heinz Field with all these so call Steeler fans. Six SB rings and yesterday did not sound like we had those rings. Let's pep it up a little fans and get behind our team in a positive way.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Tomlin should be thanking his lucky stars they are 4-2 right now. Im usually in his corner but he has been making some really questionable decisions lately.

I've still yet to hear anyone on any sports show be able to explain that 2 point conversion.

But hey, 4-2 without Ben, luck or not, Ill take it.

13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    It can't be explained it was a stupid call at that point in the game. Not mathematically sound at all. Glad they won.

14. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Exactly. If Tomlin were gonna get me to singing his praises he would have been starting Landry instead of Vick after Vick proved he had literally about 30 seconds of good football left in him. Yeah we beat an "elite offense" yesterday but we really did it in SPITE of Tomlin. It's great though to have people, ESPECIALLY sirius radio hosts, lecture us on how we should react to certain things. Yeah let's all sing the praises of Tomlin after we lost to a rats team that has LITERALLY LOST TO EVERY OTHER TEAM THEY HAVE PLAYED THIS YEAR INCLUDING THE 49ERS WHO WE DOMINATED. Let's all just rejoice at the greatness that made the call to let a qb who LITERALLY was averaging less than 5 yards per throw for THE WHOLE GAME against the rats throw the ball instead of giving it to THE RB THAT HAD MORE YARDS WITH THIS FEET THAN THE QB DID WITH HIS ARM WHEN ALL YOU NEEDED WAS 2 YARDS. Steeler fans are perfectly justified in their criticisms of Tomlin AND Colbert. We are justified in criticizing the existence of Cam Thomas on this team. We are justified in our criticism of picking a guy like Dri as early as they did. We are justified in criticizing our clock mgmt issues. We are justified in criticizing the fact that we've lost a majority of our games to really crappy teams under Tomlin. We are justified in saying that safety play has been an issue for a while but hasn't really been addressed with a high draft pick. Get over it. Do I wanna fire Mike Tomlin? NO! Do I think there are some areas where he seriously needs to get it in gear? YES! Does it make me more or less of a fan for either position? NO! That is all. Does anyone else need this soapbox? I only use it out of necessity anyway. LOL.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Wow how long you been holding that in bro? I have felt similarly during the last three weeks but the beta blockers I'm taking for high blood pressure have taken the edge off some of it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    The only possible explanation that fits the situation but not Tomlin's character is that even after the TD throw he wanted to give Landry Jones an additional confidence boost by going for two. It says we know you got this and we believe you can play at this level. The problem is that it just doesn't seem consistent with Tomlin's way of doing things.

17. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Preach on, BFT! I agree. I like Tomlin, always have. I just wish he'd improve his clock management. Maybe play some Madden in the off season to practice when to take TOs and when to clock it. :shrug:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! Sometimes man you just have to throw down on the media. I really don't mind when Steeler fans talk about the team negatively or overtly positively but it REALLY gets under my skin when non fans start lecturing us on things. It's like how if YOU wanna really throw down on a member of your family you can but if anyone ELSE does that you will then throw down on them. That's the way I feel about non Steeler fans trying to talk Steeler football. People are like "Oh I watched about 4 plays on the Sportscenter highlights so I'm clearly well versed in this team" and I'm like "No. No you're not." We're no better than anybody else but we are certainly a little more versed in the way things go around here on a day to day basis and we also know about some nagging issues this team has struggled with for years. Ya know... the plays that DON'T make it on to sportscenter or satellite radio or fantasy "expert's" statsheets...

• Like Like x 1
  19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Truth. If I had one more person tell me at work that Vick wasn't that bad I was going to pop my cork

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I know dude. My buddy that's a die hard Chargers fan was telling me that he would LOVE to have Vick as their backup. The other day an Eagles fan also told me that Charlie Batch was garbage his whole career and I was like "dude I'd take Batch 6 days a week and twice on Sunday over Vick because he won more games than he lost for us" and he was like "Whatever. He's garbage." I just shake my head sometimes. LOL.

21. Supersteeler

Supersteeler Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Yeah I would take Charlie any day of the week too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I would take him right this second over Vick. Vick never had a high football iq and that's really more of what Haley's playbook calls for. Knowing where your reads are and getting the ball out and making quick decisions. None of those are Vick's strong suits but Charlie seemed studious enough to catch on.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm: Fisher is one of the more overrated coaches in the league, he has something like 6 winning seasons after coaching for almost 20 years.

24. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I don't go to other team's forums, is there this much complaining about the coach other places? I'm not thrilled with Tomlin, and like many of you don't understand his decisions but he isn't one the hot seat yet IMO

25. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Kinda what I was thinking. He's done what exactly?