1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brandon Boykin???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Oct 14, 2015.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Why is he not playing? We gave a 5th rd draft pick for him, at the end of the season he's a free agent and he's not playing. He's proven he can play in this league. We are getting beat up on passing defense.

To those who liked the trade how do you feel now? Was it a good trade or a wasted one?

Cajun

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think it comes down to Boykin struggles on the outside and is not better than Gay is in the slot when we go nickel.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I still think Tomlin is trying to preserve a 4th round draft pick. :huh:

4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I was happy when they traded for him. Unfortunately it hasn't panned out. Still early in the season.

5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It got to be because of the snap count thing with the difference being a 4th or 5th rounder.
    Either that or he isn't good enough to crack the line up.

7. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    What was the % of snaps set at? I think he should be good to go now if indeed they were trying to preserve a 4th round pick (stupid call imo)

8. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    We have the 20th ranked pass defense !!!!! He was ranked by PFF as the NFL's 2nd best slot CB. We traded a conditional 4th rd pick for him.

In his limited snaps in Game 2 he had a PDef in the endzone....

I refuse to believe he isnt good enough

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    60%

Cajun

10. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    He also gave up a TD I believe the next play.

11. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    So has Every DB in our secondary

Cajun

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah I know but he has yet to show he can play outside. He didn't do it in Philly and hasn't here and gay is good in the slot. There's no way if he could help this defense would they keep him off the field due to a draft pick. He hasn't logged a defensive snap in 2 of the 5 games and 4 in another one. I'm actually interested in seeing what happens when Allen comes back. That will say a lot. If Boykim doesn't get a helmet then he is really struggling with something. Phillies system is really different then ours and who knows maybe he isn't good in zone coverage

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We have no idea what's happening in practice. Maybe he's like Shamarko and just not "getting" the scheme. Maybe they like what they're seeing in Gay, Blake and Cockrell better. What I refuse to believe is that we would trade for the guy and then intentionally not use him to preserve a 4th vs. 5th round pick, or really any other trivial reason like that. The reason has to do with how the coaches are evaluating him as a player. No other reason makes sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Supersteeler

Supersteeler Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    I would guess they haven't liked what they've seen so far. If they thought he was good, he's be playing. The speed with which Cockrill leapfrogged him on the depth chart as soon as he got here was very telling.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think he might have got on the bad side of one of the Coaches. Maybe late for a meeting ? Something.

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It would need to be more than just being late for a meeting. The coaches want to win, and they're going to put the best players on the field unless there's a big issue.

17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    You can refuse to believe it, but maybe that's the way it is. Cockrell has apparently passed him on the depth chart, and can play outside. I'm assuming Boykin's role as a nickel only type of player makes it even tougher for him to see the field.

I was a huge fan of the trade at the time, but right now it doesn't look like a good trade for us.

18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Making a Coach mad is a big issue . Late once probably wouldn't get you benched , but a few times probably would. Or one I am smarter than you type thing can get a player benched unless he is a Star ..

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They like Cockrell better, if Cortez can't get healthy then Boykin will get some playing time.

20. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    The problem in this situation (and one that needs to be addressed, imo) is with our talent evaluation and braintrust responsible for putting pen to paper. I believe Boykin's playing time is a result of his performance in practice rather than as some higher calculus of snap counts geared to circumvent having to yield a 4th round pick to Philly. But if that's the case, who was on the scout team that lobbied for the trade that got him? With a young, strong leg in Jacksonville pushing a veteran Scobee who had been having accuracy issues the past couple of seasos, who decided it was a good idea to give up a pick for the latter? With a former 4th round QB selection still sitting on the roster three years into learning the system (alongside a S the team had to trade a pick to hop back and draft later that same round) who decided we had to sign a 35 year old a couple of weeks before the season began to man the ship in case Ben went down?

No one bats 1.000 in these decisions, but for a team that builds the greater bulk of its teams through the draft this FO has become alarmingly inefficient.

21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I get that the Scobee move was a total flop. The Boykin trade looked good at first but isn't quite what it seemed at the time. Could easily end up a flop too. Giving Cortez Allen 5mil a year doesn't look good either... But I think our FO has proven to be very efficient, and incredibly good at what they do.

We have a good team, and every starter but 3 on the team was drafted by the Steelers. We have multiple impact players that were drafted in the 4th round or later, including an all pro WR and a quality starting LT. We have 3 UDFA's that start for us, one of which was a former DPoY. All during that span we have had very few first or second round busts (maybe Hood, Adams, Sweed to name a few). That's tells a good tale of how we draft does it not?

Starters by round:
    UFA - 3 (Allen, Mitchell, Blake)
    UDFA - 3 (counting Deebo)
    R1 - 7 (not counting JJ)
    R2 - 3
    R3 - 0 (Wheaton)
    R4 - 1
    R5 - 1
    R6 - 1
    R7 - 1

I'm not saying the Scobee or Boykin deals were good (because they weren't), but this FO really doesn't screw up a whole lot.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers have no players left on the team from 08 or 09
    draft?

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    it was 6 and 7 years ago, thats not so surprising.

To put it in perspective, the Ravens, the gold Standards to some around here, have 2 players left, one from each draft. Flacco and Ladarrius Webb.

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    and they are in the basement of the division.

not playing boykin is a concern. he shows up in games, i don't care how he practices. there are guys like that out there. the trouble is we don't have a spot for him and our best field leader in the secondary can't come out of the game for him. forcing boykin on the outside may just not be a good fit. i think the same can be said about forcing blake or cockrell inside to the slot, just not a smart thing to change up. :cool:

25. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't see the problem as long as the Steelers defense continues to perform well.