1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How many illegal pick plays do the Patriots get away with every game?

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Supersteeler, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Supersteeler

Supersteeler Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Because they have run 20 of them today and have gotten called for 2. It's no wonder they have so many guys running wide open. You go back and watch those plays. On 90% of them you will find a completely illegal pick that is not called. They turn my stomach.

Did you hear Phil Simms stumbling all over himself to tell the audience that Gronk didn't push off the guy when he caught the long pass in the first quarter. It was blatant as hell and he knew it, but he had to rush to their defense. Apparently it's so expected that they are gonna cheat their asses off, that the referees don't even bother calling any of this stuff. It's unreal.

This touchdown that Edleman just caught, he was open by 20 yards. I ran to get the remote to back it up and watch it. You guessed it, #80 completely knocked the DB off the route allowing Edleman to streak down the field. I might not despise those scumbags quite as much as I do if the refs and the commentators weren't in league with their brand of underhanded, cheating shenanigans, but they sure seem to be.

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    "I tell you - it wasn't a PICK - it was a scratch!!!!!!!"

Jerry Seinfeld

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They get away with as many as they want because the refs don't call it, Amendola ran into two guys on that Edelman TD then he throws his hands up like he didn't do anything.

4. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Nothing new here. The darlings of the NFL get all kinds of help like this in many areas.

5. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe they are determined to catch us in SB wins and they will do it with cheating, bad calls or no calls from the ref. and yes our team is not in gear yet and slowly running out of time.

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    What's really sad is ESPN essentially PRAISING them for running illegal picks and using it as an example of how "smart" the Patriots are. Yeah, sure, it's illegal, but you keep doing it knowing they won't call it every time. Ugh. :frustrated:

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Quick answer: All of them.

8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's brilliant actually and they deserve all the praise they are getting. If the refs aren't going to call it most of the time, then you weigh the downside of the calls that do against you vs the ones you get away with. It's no different than holding. There's holding on every play somewhere on the field. It's just usually not blatant, but there's constant jersey grabbing. Players do it because most of the time it's not called.

9. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Then we should just head hunt and dive at QBs knees every play too. Hey, they can't call them ALL, right? :rolleyes: Holding happens every play, but very often its incidental. We're talking about DESIGNED plays that knowingly and flagrantly are against the rules. There's a word for that. What is it again? Oh, yeah. Cheating.

But here we go again with the continued normalization of New England cheating, and apologists ready to defend them.

Here's a thought. How about all teams have to play by the same rule book?

10. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Pick plays are cheating? Give me a break with the whining. Pick plays happen all the time, both in football and in hockey. It's part of the game. I've done it in hockey thousands of times. The idea is to make it look incidental, and most of the time it gets uncalled. It's not cheating, it's gamesmanship. All teams do play by the same rule book. We're free to run pick plays as well. Every team in the league runs pick plays.

This is the exact reason I took a step back from this site the past 6 months or so and why I mostly stay out of the game day threads. The whining on here is pathetic. Bunch of grown men acting like babies. Cry me a river, the Patriots run pick plays, as does every team in the NFL, NBA and NHL.

I'm done with this thread

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes, we've long ago established that for you, there's never a bad call. No team ever cheats. A game is never lost on one sided officiating. And rules are just "guidelines."

Gamesmenship is skirting or exploiting the rules but not necessarily breaking them. Running routes across each other that forces defenders to adjust to keep from running into a receiver or each other is gamesmenship. Running your receiver INTO the defender is illegal (lol, even if you throw your hands up after doing it). Doing something intentionally illegal is cheating. Wouldn't be a problem if the rules were enforced, but, LOL, that's not going to happen.

It may be a question of degrees, but there is a distinction.

But it's good to know you don't draw lines. So you'll have no problem when we "fall" into Tom's knees every play next time we play them? I mean, people fall all the time. It's never called when done to us, so it's ok, right? It doesn't really matter that it's against the rules. It's just gamesmenship.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Oh brother. Hi, I'm every sports site on the internet. Nice to make your acquaintance.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm done with the debate, but yes, you're absolutely right. I quit going to a Maple Leafs forum I used to visit because it was nothing but whining about how the refs screw the Leafs and how the NHL is out to get the Leafs. It's not isolated to this forum, but it doesn't make me hate it any less.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
  15. Supersteeler

Supersteeler Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Shaner apparently has a healthy Belicheck-sized cheating streak and is offended when people hate cheaters. Sorry fella. Maybe stepping away originally was a good idea. You'd fit well on a Patriots board, they love cheaters too.

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    YAY!
    I'm starting to understand where "South Park" is coming from................abcgef ga hijklmno buddy................

17. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Umm what did everyone think the point of bunch formations was all these years?

Patriots innovate something and everyone copies it anyways.

Also, the Seahawks ran a pick play to beat the Patriots in the Superbowl last year... how did that work out?

Really NFL teams should teach defenders to switch assignments on pick plays the same as basketball.

18. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    I like the tone of the post. Not sure why anyone here wouldn't. Maybe they are the whiners in question?

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I think the majority of the people here know what bunch formations are supposed to do.

What NE is doing goes beyond that. they are intentionally initiating that contact with the offensive personnel running into the defender to create the space and leaving it up to the officials to call it. The problem is it's not getting called every time because they're doing it so much.

The same thing Seattle did with PI penalties. The bet is you won't call it every time and you can get some pretty good plays out of the times they don't.

I'm mixed on it. I say if that's the way it gets called for every team, then screw it Steelers need to jump on that bandwagon and ride it.

If it isn't getting called the same all around.....then you know what that leads to as far as favoritism accusations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    :this!:

I have a simple proposal.

Since they're going to do it anyway (The Patriots, but eventually a lot of teams when they see them getting away with it), just make it legal.

Yes. ALLOW picks.

But...

Then repeal the Mel Blount rule. If receivers want to preen about what BAMFs they are (lol, in an era when they're way overprotected. It's so much easier being a WR, or even a QB now), make them show us. Make them be physical. Defenses aren't allowed to punish a receiver any more. So let them impose some physical toll another way. Let's see who truly is "tough."

21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Not a bad idea.

Old School the DB's would just run right through (with a little extra on the contact) the receiver and leave them in the dirt. We're not talking about offenses with big receivers doing what NE is doing. Most of the time the big guys will get called, but the smaller guys get a little leeway.

22. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    I'm not even sure the Patriots run the most pick plays.

The Seahawks ran 2 in the Superbowl that stood out hugely: the pass to Baldwin that resulted in a TD Revis was completely taken out of the play by a pick, and the final play of the game.

Wes Welker's cheapshot on Talib two years ago was a nasty pick.

It is not something that only the Patriots are doing.

Teams need to adjust by having defenders sell interference penalties, switching assignments, giving a cushion, playing zone etc.

23. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    OK! So after Jesse James' pick on the Bryant screen last week and Heath Miller's pick on AB's 4 yard TD I am sick and tired of our Steelers getting away with illegal picks!!!

Call a clean game refs!!!

24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    WHaaaa?

25. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011