1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Run defense, who is to blame?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    as good as our 3 d linemen are how do we get gashed like that?

2. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    This is a great topic that gets a lot of discussion, but there isn't much to discuss. Our interior linemen are greatly overrated (including McClendon). McCullers didn't play so he gets a pass tonight, but Cam Thomas AND McClendon aren't good enough.

I know some people here think that McClendon is good, but he is not. Name a time he made a play?

Tuitt and Heyward are great but we need to retool our interior defensive linemen next season.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    No true nose tackle that demands a double team, guys over pursuing and breaking contain and the real killer is guessing wrong and flowing to the wrong spot. That one that Forsett had that he almost took to the house(30+ yards) one of the inside guys possibly TImmons but Im betting Vince Williams flowed to where he thought the play was going before Forsett cut and once he did his gap was open, Forsett cuts back and accelerates no one to stop him. I think having to use Cam Thomas as a backup nose and not having The Mountain ready to go hurt alot. I don't want to misspeak but I don't think Tuitt's as good a run stopper as he is getting after the QB so I hope he improves in that area as well, could be wrong though

4. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think if and when Ryan Shazier gets back you will see a difference in stopping the run.

5. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Shazier being out really hurts. Heyward and Tuitt are getting it done but we're lacking a solid DT and solid OLB play. The Ravens just always seem to be able to run the ball well against us.

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Casey Hampton for retiring.

7. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Not so sure? Seems like it doesn't matter who is in there? shazier is good in pursuit, but not when it is comin right at him...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I was surprised that the Raven's O-line was able to man handle our D-line. I did not expect that. I think they just wrote the blue print on how to beat us up front. BUT I'm not going to say our defense played poorly either. I think our Offense and coaching staff did their best to put our defense in the worst possible position to succeed. They definitely did enough to win that game.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Cam Thomas for playing so much tonight and looking like 2014 Can't Thomas. Shazier for being on the sideline scowling at Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Has there EVER been so much blame to go around???

11. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Cam Thomas anytime he was in they ran right at him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Cutbacks have killed us for years.

13. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    This is the secord or third time tonight I've read this although I did not see it. It actually makes me wonder if games like this actually turn players against their coach, lose respect for them as their leader, tune them out, ect..? And not just one of those games where the outcome has the potential to deflate an entire season (and maybe their confidence).

14. Steelmac5

Steelmac5 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    no we don't we need to draft a stud nose tackle like we had in Casey Hampton. That will stop the run, especially if we have Shazier flying around behind him.

Mike

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    There were a lot of posts before the game about what we needed to do: shut down Smith, pressure Flacco, etc.

We did pressure Flacco into two turnovers. Our pass defense was looking good, I thought. That was meant to be our weakness, and Forsett has not been playing well so far this season; so gameplan-wise, I'd have expected us to look for the pass more than the run.

I guess doing that while also keeping the run in check was going to be a lot to ask for with some key players out.

I'll add this: I didn't feel like Forsett was running over us at will. He had some breakout plays, and looked more dangerous than Bell, but it was the consistency with which we were able to stop him that ultimately let us down.

16. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    Do you think he some weight on since he retired?:lolol:

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    There were several factors involved. Our 3 solid D linemen had little to do with it really. We were seldom in our base, and the Ravens were trying to prevent substitutions, so we were getting gashed from shotgun formation runs in sub-package defense. You either had Cam Thomas getting pushed around at will, or just Heyward and Tuitt on the line. Linebacker play also had a big role in the big runs. On one play, Timmons failed to diagnose the play and covered the slot instead of keying on the run, while Harrison couldn't get off a block. That's from memory. I'm sure I can see some more egregious errors when I re-watch it.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Casey Hampton would have been cursing on the sideline while the nickel and dime D gave up big plays.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    agreed. cam thomas is back in last years form. williams and spence at times looked clueless. the whole defense would make a play and then look like they never played before. our safeties still stink. our team can't tackle. very inconsistent group. :cool:

20. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Or injured from a cut block that the Ravens always seemed to give him...

21. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Last night when ever I saw a LB finally bring Forsett down it was VInce Williams, why he is not playing on running downs... I have no idea.

Also why did we not sell out on stopping the run and bring a safety in the box. After Smith got hurt Flacco had nobody to throw too.

Ravens offense is a bunch of nobody's, and we let them beat us. Its embarrassing, and cause for concern.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  22. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You are correct. I saw Vince Williams way out of position on one of those big runs, and earlier in the game I was wondering who #93 was due to noticing how bad he was - then I saw it was Cam Thomas and started shaking my head. He was getting totally manhandled to the point one man could move him to take out one of our other guys as well.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Tomlin, isn't that how it works whenever the team loses it's his fault.

24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Casey Hampton, as great as he was for years was done. A turnstile. Getting eaten up by one blocker. Let it go.

I have been critical of McClendon, really thought he was more suited for the DE position. He is the best option at this time.

Tomato Can Thomas should NOT even be on this roster.

McCullers being injured doesn't help. Hope he gets back in the line up soon.

I to believe if they are going to stick with the 3-4 the nose needs an upgrade.

Shazier worries me. He is a special player, but, the injuries are already piling up.

I'm sure with this new Defense, Butler will address this gashing issue before the UnChargers game.

25. Supersteeler

Supersteeler Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    The one huge run up the middle, the ILB on that side (either Spence or Williams) must have been completely out of position because Forsett ran right through the empty spot where they should have been. Once he got through the D Line there was nobody at all there. Somebody missed their assignment there or it would have been a 3 yard gain instead of 40 or whatever it was. The closest guy to him was Timmons who was pursuing from the opposite side.