1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

To all of those that live out of PGH. area...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by snipit73, Jan 15, 2012.

1. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I was also born in Erie!! I live in a small town called Girard (about 10 miles west of Erie) and have since 1977. My dad is a Steelers fans and his three daughters have all gone on to be HUGE Steeler fans (as well as their spouses and kids) :)

2. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Grew up a US Navy Brat. My parents were from Western PA. I lived in south FL when the Dolphins had their perfect season and got caught up in Dolphin mania. However, my dad quickly set me straight and helped me to understand that being a citizen of Steeler Nation is something special. I quickly realized that. A couple years later, we moved back to Western PA and I had the privilege of experiencing all 4 Super Bowls from there. I now live near Cleveland Ohio and the last 10 years or so have been tremendous, being a Steelers fans amidst the worst football fans in the history of the NFL.

3. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It was a blast! GO STEELERS!!

4. silverbackforpres

silverbackforpres Member

Nov 13, 2011
    All my extended family Is from da burgh. My older brother was born there . Then my folks moved a few months before I was born. Born in new jersey. All major holidays and a lot of vacations have been spent there.We are fans of all the Pittsburgh teams. Yes even the Pirates. I am a 3rd generation fan. I currently live in Atlanta ga . Let me tell you the Steeler nation reigns supreme everywhere. I will drive down the street and people see my Steelers stuff and they wave their terriable towels. It's great , it really unnerves the locals.

5. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I was raised just outside of Philadelphia but been in the Army for the last 21 years. I've been all over the world but one thing i never forget is at least one TERRIBLE TOWEL!!!!

Live in El Paso, Tx now. Seen alot of steelers fan over here...STEELERS FOR LIFE!!!

6. steelfan70

steelfan70 Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I forgot to say where I'm from. Live in Oklahoma all my life and still see Pittsburgh Steeler fans in the Oklahoma-Texas area with Steeler gear all the time. Steeler Nation really is world-wide. Don't get to see them on TV as much as some of you do but still follow any way I can! Can't imagine not being a Steelers fan!

7. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    12 to 88, love those pics.

I am originally from New Jersey, town of Wyckoff. I became aware of football in 1972, when I was in first grade, right at the time of the Immaculate Reception. I can't remember if I saw the play live or on television, but I definitely remember it. The local NJ papers made a huge deal of it in part because Franco, lest we forget, is a native of New Jersey. So, he became my sports hero and the Steelers became my football team. There was not really an issue of following the Jets or the Giants, as both teams were lousy and lacking interest, in spite of the Giants building a new stadium 10 miles from my house, and the Jets still having Joe Namath at Qb. In fact few of my friends followed them either- I remember my close friend Greg being a big Redskins fan, for example. (Nowadays Greg, Greg Schiano that is- is the head football coach at Rutgers...)

I now live in Vermont, where there are plenty of Steelers fans- particularly in southern Vermont, where I lived during the 1990's. The Rooneys owned a dog racing track there for a time, and when they were there, they spread plenty of money into the local economy, including donating a lot of equipment to the youth football leagues.

8. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I wish I could be like you guys from Pittsburgh and therefore "real steeler fans"

9. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I was watching TV when I was 6 and saw the Steelers... thought their colors were badass... the rest as they say is history.

10. IggySteel

IggySteel Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Grew up in Ohio in the 70s and jumped on the bandwagon then. Never got off. Now I live in FL and have converted my wife (from Chicago) and raised my kids to be Steelers fans.

11. NDsteelerfan

NDsteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I also live in Grand Forks! Been a steeler fan since I was about 12 when my aunt bought me a steelers jersey for Christmas sometime in the late 70s. Never lived anywhere else but here, tho!

12. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Born in Sharon PA, moved to Cali like everyone seemed to do in the early 80's after the mills closed. Some of my earliest memories are sitting in Three Rivers with my dad cheering on the Steel Curtian!

13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Wow! Both of the people in ND are Steelers fans! Who knew?

14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    And all these years I thought you all came out here from AZ. I guess that's just in the summer. :-D

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yep and we wave to each other as we pass on the tractors too. Called rush hour on the prairie. I still tell call PA home when I talk about going home. I am sure NDsteelerfan was with us when we took over the Metrodome in 05 as the first game the Steelers had to win in order to get into the playoffs.

16. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Unfortunately, my parents didn't do the thing that would have allowed me to see the 70's Steelers play until 1981. I was born in 1982. My dad always loved the Cowgirls but my uncle was a HUGE Steelers fan. I've lived in the country outside Knoxville Tn my whole life on the same 40 acre farm. When I was about 13 and we had Kordell Stewart I thought that he was the coolest player ever. I was like "DUDE! HE CAN PLAY QB AND WR!!!" That is when I became a Steelers fan. I've been to Pittsburgh numerous times to watch us. My son is named Ben. When he was born I had a terrible towel nearby to get one of his first pictures on this earth. I hope with all that is in me that he decides to follow in my footsteps. We didn't have a pro team in TN and I think that Pittsburgh just represents the spirit of every blue collar town in America and that is why so many people latch on to them. BTW my dad did get to see the 70s team play in a scrimmage at Neyland stadium. Who cares where you are from. You can tell a true fan because they will never say they "like" the Steelers. They will only say they "love" the Steelers! Period. We are some devoted and loyal folks!

17. NDsteelerfan

Oct 26, 2011
    So thats who is on that John Deere I pass all the time. By the way, I was at the dome on 05 and it was incredible! So great to walk around with the black and gold on and not have one single comment by a Viking fan! :herewego:

18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Took my Dad to his first NFL game that day. Was my best day. I loved that the Vikings fans were drunk and still happy after the loss. They are funny that way. We lost where we parked the car though and wandered around downtown for 20 minutes looking for it. Damn cold.

19. NDsteelerfan

Oct 26, 2011
    Vikings fans are usually drunk. Helps dull the pain of being a Viking fan.

20. NickSteel

NickSteel Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    I live in Syracuse, NY now, but lived in Wilkes-Barre, PA for most of my life. My wife went to school at Pitt and I lived with her there for a few Summers. I never really followed football before 2003, when I started watching the Steelers games when I visited my then girlfriend at Pitt every other weekend. So my first year as a Steelers fan was a 6 and 10 season led by Tommy Maddox. I don't think you can call me a bandwagon fan.

21. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    From Ohio... Long story short, because of Lambert and the baddest defense to ever play the game!!!