1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How will Vick be used?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Axl, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2015
    I'm thinking his legs for 2 pt. conversions and the occasional trick play. I was actually kinda' surprised AB tried to run a trick play Monday instead of Vick.

Your thoughts?

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    With the Defense that we have we should go for 2 every chance we get . We should never punt once we cross the 50. We should never attempt a FG unless we need more than 5 yards for the first.

So yes they should use Vic , but they probably will not .

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    As a back up QB. Leave the 35 year old on the bench. AB, Bell and Bryant are much better options.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Haley has already said he is nothing more then a back up and he will never take Ben off the field for Vick not even on two point conversions. So unless Ben goes down Vick will be used as a clipboard holder.

5. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    How exactly would vick under center be a trick play?

6. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    :this!:

7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I expect him to hold a clipboard and listen in on the calls. Perhaps talk things over with Ben while the defense is on the field. Other than that, it would be nice to see him during a mop up roll. Which of course, under Tomlin, almost never happens.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    holder for extra points and FG's and then maybe we could try something from time to time. :cool:

9. grayghost668

grayghost668 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    let him sit on the bench,that is where he belongs not on the field

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dreamman0

Dreamman0 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    sideline coach and 'break glass in case of emergency' (is that dated?)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Hopefully he is used never.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    He wouldn't even be in the NFL anymore if he wasn't Tomlin's Virginia buddy.

13. Dreamman0

Dreamman0 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    hey..I'm From Virginia...Virginia is for Lovers...

14. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    You thought Vick was going to line up a WR? It wouldn't be much of a surprise when he threw it, given he's a QB. Or you're surprised they used AB for a trick play instead of Vick? AB is one of the most dangerous players in the league, and Vick is not starting quality at any position. AB blew it by not throwing the ball away, but knowing this coaching staff, I bet it was never even mentioned as an option.

Get the ball to AB, not Vick.

15. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Strictly as scout team QB.

16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Despite our contradictory views on Vick, I totally agree. We have so many weapons out there that there isn't any need to bring him in for any trick plays. Who are we gonna take off the field? Vick will be used the way he should be. He will be the first QB in the game if Ben misses a snap for any reason at all.

I think we have a better chance at converting a 2 pt conversion with Ben on the field anyways.

17. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Meybe Vick would like to start a "new career" as a defensive back? :drinks:

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My thinking exactly, but just as most posters have said, will never see the field unless#7 gets hurt.

19. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2015
    I was surprised they used AB for a trick play instead of Vick. I guess I'm just hoping that this doesn't play out like when the Jets brought in Tebow and didn't even attempt to utilize him to their advantage. My thinking is that with opposing D coordinators already prepping for the possibility of Vick being used in some way that we might as well use him. But then again, maybe opposing coordinators wasting time prepping for him is a big enough benefit to us.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    as it should be. not with ben here. you don't take him off the field for any reason.:cool:

21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I strongly disagree . Ben is too valuable to get busted up on 2 point conversions . Football 101 says it's a lot harder to throw near the GL . Ben's stats prove that as well . A running QB is a bigger threat on the GL every DC in the NFL would agree with this statement .

Failure to have a 2 pt. package ready with a running QB is planning to fail. Let him run the spread, the zone read with him and Bell would be a killer at the GL and would force Teams to honor both guys as runners which puts all the Receiving options 1 on 1 .... Example exactly what Tebow did to our Defense all over the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't want to use Vick for nothing. You hit him good the ball comes out

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Plenty of teams have a good red zone offense that don't have a running QB. If they start taking Ben off the field for Vick in 2pt situations, every one involved with that decision should be fired.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    They brought him in for backup. Only use him then

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Plenty of Teams do have a good red zone offense the Steelers are not one of those . If they did install a package and it worked then why would anyone get fired ? The object of the Game is to win. If we have a problem scoring which we do and we have a potential solution which we do then it is prudent to at least take a look at it on 2 pt. conversions...

Doesn't matter whether you like Vick or not , he is on the Team and has > value than Ben as a runner and it's harder to stop that in short yardage situations. Those are the facts...