1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sick of Holier Than Thou "Steelers Way" BS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Woodley's Woodies, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I guess I'm too old to understand all this internets thingy but I'm guessing when you mention something in a public forum it becomes the business of anyone that might be interested. Like now I know you smoke pot. Didn't ask but there it is in black and white. Wouldn't have even crossed my mind to wonder if you were a pot smoker or not but you have left no doubt about it. When I logged onto this message board tonight I never dreamed that someone so young would be explaining to me what my morals or that of the Steelers should be. I learned me something new today! (I guess you really can teach an old dog new tricks...oops, my last hair and tooth just fell out)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm actually on my way to camp Lejuene right now, then over to camp Geiger .......

Go steelers

Cajun

3. Dreamman0

Dreamman0 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    A little late to the thread but the glimpse into 'a day in the life of TTF' was worth the price of admission!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Dreamman0

Dreamman0 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    So stating you've been a fan for 27 years is supposed to establish your credibility but 'older generations' sharing their views make you sick and tired. So at what age does credibility become 'holier than thou moralistic'? Can I get as ruling on this? Hoping I have a few good years left...

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

MB failed 4 drug tests. I hate to see all that potential go up in smoke.
    To each his own. The Rooney's run their team a little different, which I like. I will stay with them, I still consider them a classy organization,they will figure things out.This 27 year old has
    a lot figured out already WOW. I am a local person been watching the Steelers for 45 years
    thru good and bad times.

6. Vis

Vis Member

Sep 3, 2015
    Pot is rampant in the NFL but so is pain. I have no doubt it helps and is safer than so many legal options but while it's against the rules getting popped 4 times before your second year is darwinism weeding (see what I did there?) out the stupid.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Aren't we fans? :thumbs__down:

8. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    But! But wouldn't that be cheatin'?:lolol:

9. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    :lolol:Yeah! I could use a little of that youth right now!

10. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    I dunno, to each his own, but taking advantage of females isn't really something that me personally could justify. if that helps you than more power to you sir. I'm sure dog fighting wasn't illegal at one point.

11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

sarcasam? green font dude :clapping:

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Thank you. Yes, Vick is a Steeler, we have to deal with it. But, Ben goes down they are DONE. Don't give me this crap that there is a comfort now. Vick is done and really never lived up to the expectations. A hype machine.

As far as being Holier then Thou, I want to see the league just remove Marijuana from the ban list. Unless your caught with blunts and a cloud from Fast Times at Ridgemont High coming out of the car...

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Judging from the last time he played us, he would look awesome in practice at least.

14. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012

oooooo baby baby it's a wild world

15. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    good times
    bad times
    you know i've had my share.

16. Woodley's Woodies

Woodley's Woodies Active Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Okay so I got some people fired up clearly. There was a lot of great points brought up here so let me see if I can address a few:

-The frustration about the older fans stems from a broader phenomenon of older generations complaining about how the new have "a bad work ethic" or "don't appreciate things". It happens in daily life and happens a lot when I hear people on this forum talk about the current Steelers issues. This isn't new to 2015 or new to millenials or whatever you want to call it. My broader point here was that Steelers players have been making mistakes, sometimes criminal, since the franchise started. It's how they respond to their actions that should matter, not the kneejerk opinions of some high and mighty "Steel Curtain" era Steelers fans. Sorry of that offends you, but it goes both ways.

-I guess I shouldn't have said my age? The point was not about credibility at all, the point was there are more perspectives than that of those that immediately appeal to the "golden years" like the Steelers all used to be angels

-My point about pot is that regardless if Bryant was an idiot for failing tests (which he was), it's ridiculous that this is still even a thing at this day and age. Like I said before, what you do during you off the clock time is your business. 10 years from now it won't even be illegal.

-You are clueless if you think putting that information out on an anonymous forum is an issue. Sure, a bunch of people get caught daily for saying stupid stuff on Facebook. That's because it is public and it is your real name.

-The whole "be a Steelers fan how you want to be a Steelers fan" is a copout. What is the point of having a forum where we share/debate opinions if we just have to sit on our hands when people aren't making sense?

-My overarching point is that I love the Steelers and I love watching football, but I don't have false pretenses about what these athletes are and what the goal of professional football teams are. Most of these players come from incredibly challenging backgrounds and have been put in the rare position of given tons of money and responsibility at a very young age. There are unforgivable crimes and there are actions that are deplorable, but we also live in a world where there is a process for discipline and retribution to society.

Nobody really knows what happened with Big Ben- but I do know that Ben has since made a pretty significant behavioral turnaround. More recently, Michael Vick has done the same.

The notion that the Steelers are "too good" for Michael Vick, Big Ben, Bryant, Bell, etc. is what drives me nuts. If that were truly the case, we would be watching a garbage, bottom-dwelling team because the reality is that every NFL team is going to have players that do dumb stuff. Period.

Anyways, bring on the criticism and commentary. I appreciate all of the responses!

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    It's a strange strange world we live in, Master Jack. :thumbs_up: :lolol:

scruffy

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I will say the second post was much better written and thought through than the first. Maybe this came with a little more maturity or age?

Yes, all teams have troubled players. If they are good people otherwise, sure you try to help them. I do not believe in deliberately recruiting bad individuals. Regardless of having served his time, Vick is a vile individual.

I fit in the old fart category I suppose.

19. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Oh, you need timin' :drinks:

scruffy

20. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012

21. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014

22. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014

23. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    There was so much being holier than thou about others being holier than thou a week and a half ago that it doesn't need rehashing. Sorry if anyone missed out on that.

24. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    You're simply either too young or wasn't taught to understand the steelers way. There is a special connection with the team and the fans. The identity of the fan base is part of the make up of the steelers franchise. So if the fans say there is a steelers way, then there is in fact a steelers way. Although I do admitt that mentality is eroding away because of fans like you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.