1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with the Defense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steeler 4 Life, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Steeler 4 Life

Steeler 4 Life Member

Aug 29, 2015
    This by far is the worse showing in the preseason of any Steeler defense if seen in years. We can't stop the run or the pass. Is it the new cover 2 scheme, change in D coordinators, injuries or just poor talent. Any thoughts?

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    All of the above plus vanilla schemes and not really game planning.

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It's all Dick LeBeau's fault! Fire him now!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Tomlin is more involved with the Defense, than he has been in the past.........:cool:

5. philgood95

philgood95 New Member

Aug 29, 2015
    What I don't understand is when it was third and 3 or third and short, our corner backs are 15 yards off of the receivers. They just turn around and it's an automatic first down.

6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The "fight" is gone.

7. JakeTN1

JakeTN1 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Did the Steelers play today or was it a high school team from Westmoreland County? I know it's preseason, but does the sucking sound I hear a vacuum or a 4 - 12 season?? I said earlier, Tomlin and his minions would be out of work on the flight back from Denver against Tebow, I stick by my guns!! If we win SB 50, I will back off from this statement!! I still say he is NOT the coach needed, he is as we said in the "old days" a dipsh#t!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    The secondary sucks. The LBs aren't nearly as good without Timmons. And a whole host of other things already mentioned.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think part of the problems with the defense is there is no consistency due to injuries.

Kind of concerned about Timmons, he had the toe issue last season too.

10. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That is what we affectionately refer to around here as "the cushion". We all love it like a whole lot. LOL.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Did you really think it was going to be a smooth transition? We lost Worilds,Kiesel,Taylor, Troy and DL. In addition to that they're trying to install some new wrinkles.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    The D has been deteriorating for several years. And there was a plethora of reasons for its decline.

It's not going to be fixed overnight either.

I'm concerned. But I also know Rome wasn't built in a day. We're going to have growing pains. Today was really painful.

Let's hope they begin to gel soon. I'm not expecting a 2008 level of performance. I just want to see improvement over last year. They've shown flashes at least with the pass rush. But the secondary really needs work.

13. tarheelsteel

tarheelsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Serious question cause I honestly don't know the answer, are there any teams that still successfully utilize the cover 2 defense? I haven't been able to watch as much football outside the Steelers as I used to the last year or so, but I just don't seem to remember seeing or hearing about that mean teams that play the cover 2 anymore. Where I'm going with this is, if my inclination is correct and most teams are moving away from it why are we moving toward it besides Tomlin? Any strategic reason?

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :this!:

15. Steeler 4 Life

Steeler 4 Life Member

Aug 29, 2015
    We will all be holding out hope that we see a different defense against the patriots. If we don't, Garopolo and Gronkowski will be mentioned as pro bowl candidates. As mediocre Tight ends are sh!ting on our D thus far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Well for one, our safeties are clueless. I really hope they don't look like this during the season. 29 is playing like he could easily be responsible for giving up 100 points this year all by himself. Also, we will be experiencing some growing pains in terms of a new scheme and coordinator. Hate to break it to everyone who was trying to run DL out of town, but a change of coordinators doesn't magically turn a defense into a different unit. It will take time. It hurts to not have Timmons... He's the best player on our D (lone exception to Heyward?). No offense to V Williams, but he's just not in the same league.

Realistically at the beginning of the year there will be weeks we look awful, and weeks we look strong... We should see more consistent better play as the season wears on.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I think everyone is forgetting the defense is experimenting.. who is going to play and who is not? It's up in the air at this point. Lets see who the starters are and what we have to work with before we jump ship.

18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Thank you. You guys give up too easily lol. Our offense will need to go through epic proportions. Forget defense for now. Mid season we will know what we have. Got to win a lot of shoot outs

19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Green font dude

20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Is that for sarcasm?

21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    yes

22. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Lol but I wasn't being ☺️

23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Seems vaguely familiar only it was the offense and BA was leaving town lol

24. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I remember the 2002 season when the secondary was horrendous (Rich Gannon 43-of-64 for 403 yards was one example) but the team was able to shore it up as the season went on and finished 10-5-1.

The Cover 2 defense is still used quite a bit on obvious passing downs and it actually has its origins in Pittsburgh with Chuck Noll and Bud Carson. Tony Dungy took what he learned to Tampa with him. For it to be successful there has to be a good rush from the front line and that alone makes it a problem for the current Steelers team. There are no John Lynch's on the team either.

For a more satirical answer to the defenses woes, the posts from a Twitter spoofer may do the trick.

https://twitter.com/Tomlin_Sense

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    most may not agree and it won't suprise me but, will allen isn't the answer.

i seriously would rather darby get better with time. he gave up a score but he was at least in coverage on that guy. that can improve. he is at least in the right spot.

ventrone can and does at least come up and make tackles and hits.

safety is our weak link.

i'd almost rather see these guys play or put 4 corners on the field. tez, gay, boykin and grant.

boykin and gay at corner and tez and grant in the deeper half. :cool: