1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Sign Michael Vick

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Aug 25, 2015.

1. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Isn't Charlie Whitehurst sorta needed by the Titans?

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    So because they weren't charged you are good with them. Also I don't care if he is on the roster or not. It doesn't change my life in one way or the other.

3. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Welp, he's likely moved to #3 since they drafted Marcus Mariota and still have Zach Mettenberger, dontcha think? ;)

But hey, Tomlin said they did their "due diligence". :facepalm:

acruffy

4. Supersteeler

Supersteeler Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    It probably says a great deal about a person's character if they are willing to go to the wall in an emotional way and try in every way possible to not only minimize some really horrifying actions but to almost excuse them completely. Pretty disturbing actually.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tom Lewis

Tom Lewis New Member

Aug 26, 2015
    I'm a 47 year old that has been a Steelers fan since I was 7. My number one loved team even after my home town got a team but I don't know if I can swallow this. He's not a good quarterback and according to my daughter's last count we have 49 animals, so not a Vick fan. Yes, I like animals but not Vick!!!

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Nice post. Pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I'm only up to page 6 of this post,but I'm glad the board is still here. Just got home from work and was expecting a hostile takeover.

7. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Welcome aboard... sure hope some of those animals are fish and/or farm animals. If not I wouldn't want your pet bill!!!!

Cajun-

8. Tom Lewis

Tom Lewis New Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Yes, most all of them except a couple of dogs and cats. We have a small farm. Thanks for the welcome!

9. Tom Lewis

Tom Lewis New Member

Aug 26, 2015
    And a stocked pond.

10. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Dobs, I don't know you, but have read your posts here and on other boards (ass-u-ming it's the same person of course), and this post really disappoints me. Not your willingness to accept Vick on the team, but your logic in getting there. Quoting a FTARH line en route to a gigantic strawman point? I can tell you right now: I'm no saint, but I'm not capable of anything close to what Vick has done.

But all of that belittles the point at hand. I'm not suggesting anyone grab stones and form a line. I just reject the notion of selling out on ethics in favor of a frantic grab for a backup QB whose skills have been on the decline for awhile now.

Say what you will; we're all entitled our opinions. But if this were my company there are much better character options available for minimally elevated risk. JMO.

• Like Like x 1
  11. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    You are so full of crap. I really have a hard time restraining myself. Dogs don't forget what it means to be domesticated. They may be forced to hunt and scavenge for food when it is abandoned. They are pack animals which is why they do well in a family, they become part of that pack. Did you watch snacks video, and see how these most violent of the most violent breed quickly becomes a loving pet and family member. There are bad dogs just like there are bad people.............

Cajun

12. steelerdavidismyname

steelerdavidismyname Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015

Oh right. And did James Harrison's son provoke his Pittbull dog into mauling him
    beyond belief ? And James Harrison didn't even get rid of that dog...even though his son
    has been terrorized by it since his attack. James loves that dog more then his own son. So
    Michael Vick is way behind Harrison for the Steeler " Scumbag " award.

13. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Since today is National Dog Day I just want to say...... I love dogs more than some people I know!!!

Cajun

• Like Like x 2
  14. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011

The absolute stupidest and idiotic thing I have read today and there has been many!!!

Cajun-

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...etroits-epidemic-of-50-000-wild-dogs-20120320
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-dogs-roam-detroit-in-packs-as-humans-dwindle

And now they are making actual feral dogs which are more dangerous

16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
  17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Saw the protesters were already out at the practice sight.

18. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If anyone is giving away there tickets because of Vick
    Let me know I'll take them

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah @dobbler-33, there were 7 women and 3 children.

[​IMG]

20. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I bet not a dam one could NAme the steelers starting qb

21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I know, that's why I didn't refer to the herd the way the headlines read. All of its just dumb. Don't like the signing, but seriously there are bigger problems in the world.

22. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    He needs be booed heavily when he enters the game on September 3rd. The Rooneys need to be embarrassed by this.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The attempts to compare crimes to what Vick did is mind numbing and so completely off the mark.

24. Steel Blitz

Steel Blitz Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Going to take a moment to make my post on this one... have really enjoyed reading everyone's responses, whether personal, emotional, football or other.

Hopefully I can get my point across well here. I remember all the highly emotional responses to Ben's incident on the "other" site, and I think this is the first time I've seen something compare to that on TTF's watch. I don't necessarily want to make any sweeping claim in regards to this issue, but just to identify the dilemma we all live with every day.... and in doing so, hopefully bring a little awareness, if not clarity, around these reactions and the signing of Vick. For the record... I'm not sure what I think yet.

Here's my dilemma. I lived in Hawaii, and while there, taught in a high school, college and also worked as a therapist in a behavioral hospital -- for many years. Why is this relevant? Chicken fighting (which accompanied many other unsavory behaviors) were quite common if you know the locals and are trusted in the scene --HUGE money changes hands regularly at these events. If anyone here is from Hawaii or lived there as a local, please feel free to comment on the accuracy of my statements. I have been asked to be part of the "chicken fights" many times and always declined... however, you can drive by farms where this is the obvious breeding purpose... I have discussed in depth the ways in which they train these birds, purchase and attach lethal knives to their feet, etc. etc. I have watched the police do the parking at these events. I have also seen a culture, where for the most part, physical violence (both men and women) was much more culturally acceptable than what I've ever experienced in the mainland. My point is that when working with my students or patients, they often had little insight in that what they were doing was innately wrong... and it many times extended beyond chickens. I've sat through many family therapy sessions, where parents, guardians, protectors, relatives, friends, etc. saw nothing wrong with a good healthy beating as punishment for a child, teenager or adult making the smallest of mistakes -- like failing an exam at school.

So, what is my dilemma? I don't know how to draw the moral/ethical line to say that I can confidently give up on someone learning to grow beyond these beliefs and behaviors. I don't know how to say that I should forgive a 16 year old, but not a 21 year old. I don't know why it is that I personally have much less forgiveness for sexual misconduct than I do drug abuse, physical violence, or even animal cruelty. At the end of the day, I just think these things are deeply personal, and it's completely our choice to accept or reject someone - forgive or condemn someone forever - based on those beliefs. That's why this will always be a dilemma and we are sure to find very little common ground on issues that are this polarizing.

I will say this. If you think you can't continue to support the Steelers, as a team and organization, because of their choice to take on this risk, then I would advise you to take a very serious look at the companies that employ you and the communities you live in. BECAUSE, many, if not all, of these social issues exist in them as well. They just might not be public knowledge. But, if you're so hard-lined that you would give up 40 years of supporting the Steelers for this, then you would certainly move out of your community or quit your job tomorrow.

I will always be a Steelers fan, I will pray for Vick, and I will continue to read and hope to learn from all of your inputs when it comes to things like this. And, if you actually took the time to read all this, thank you.

GO STEELERS!

-- Blitz

• Like Like x 3
  25. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    1. This is not the Steeler way, as it were. But times they are a changing.
    2. He did his time according to the U.S. Government. He served his sentence.
    3. I think everyone basically knows right from wrong, but again, he did his time, and after what he lost and went through, I doubt he ever does it again.
    4. If we would have waited until after pre-season week 3, I think we could have had a better QB.
    5. This is America, he served his time, I don't own the Steelers, and I don't have to root for them. But I have one last thing to say; GO STEELERS