1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Sign Michael Vick

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    The reason I see the Ben/Bell/Harrison arugments as incongruent here is becaue they were brought up with this team. Technically Harrison is a bit of an outlier since he wasn't drafted by us and was brought in after being released a few times, but for all intents and purposes he started his career a Steeler. You treat your children a little differently.

Personally, I hate this signing. There is simply no reason for it; there's no dire need the Steelers have for reaching out to someone with Vick's past to simply fill the role of backup QB, and that, to me, makes it worse. Perhaps if he had just been released from jail and the organization wanted to offer him the chance to turn himself around, but that isn't the case.

And it's not about wishing ill on Vick. He paid his debt to society, and I hope he really has turned himself around. But that doesn't mean I'd want him on my football team, either. There are plenty of younger players that will be available over the next couple of weeks that would offer similar ability with the added bonus of potential upside. There will also be some veteran options available if experience is a concern. There was simply no need to bring in a Michael Vick.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Steelsax

Steelsax Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    A lot of you people need to heed Ron Cook's advice and "GET OVER IT." The man paid his debt to society and it really is time to move on. BTW, any of you morally upright citizens upset about what Planned Parenthood has been doing? Just a little perspective for you.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  3. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I absolutely love this signing....and I am a HUGE DOG LOVER...and I hope Vick only steps on the field a few times for a trick play or in garbage time.

I love this signing for 3 reasons

1) Even a washed up Vick is better than a healthy Landry....this team has serious Super Bowl talent.....the season rides on Ben....but Vick gives this team a better chance to win on Sundays than Landry Jones...and even a win or two could be the difference between home field...and going to New England, Balt, Denver, San Diego

2) I often have been upset by the perceived "Steelers Way" This shows me the Colbert, Tomlin, Rooney....they are making moves they think will get the Steelers in position for #7.....by any means necessary....How many people will care or remember a backup QB got a Super Bowl Ring vs the Steelers got #7 ...FYI...the answer is virtually zero....Bubby Brister has a ring...Jim McMahon has 2...and hint hint...only one was in Chicago.

3) and this is the big one....I hope the band wagon clears....I love some of the posters that said they will leave if Vick signs....but I hope they not only stay true to their word...but also don't just create a new screen name to keep peaking in....Everytime I mentioned a player that has had any off field problems....I get the high and mighty to come down from their high horse and explain why the Steelers would never do such a thing. The Steelers may or may not have made it to the Super Bowl with L Blount starting....but I know they would not with Josh Harris...and I bet NE does not go to the Super Bowl without him. Yeah but Hack...the Steelers have 6 rings...more than any other team! To me that just means that 43 other times they dropped the ball...43 other times they were not good enough...and moves needed to be made..the roster needed to be upgraded....and many of those 43 times it was not the top of the roster that needed work....it was the back up long snapper, the 3rd string QB, the special teams gunners....its #53 on the roster....if you are not getting better...you probably are getting worse.

I do not condone what Vick did...I would not sit down to have dinner with him...or ask for an autograph...but if he throws a TD to win a game...I will be as happy as I am any other time the Steelers win. He paid his debt to society as was deemed by the courts. The NFL has said he is allowed to continue to play football now that he has done so, had they NFL said he can not play and is banned for life.....I would have been ok with that as well....but they didn't....and to think that only "other" teams should or would sign questionable players...while the moral high ground Steelers pass....well....hopefully that rose colored glasses message board propaganda has finally died with this signing....or at least that heard might actually shrink if their convictions are as solid as they say.....and I will have respect for them for saying...my convictions are worth more than this game...I'm leaving

The United States Govt says he can play, The NFL, says he can play...but JOE MESSAGE BOARD IS SAD....STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

The Steelers have had their share of non choir boys play for them....the list is long.....just another name on the pile.

GO STEELERS!

and for those of you that might be leaving us. Sad to see you go, but I would love to watch you actually leave.

HACK

• Like Like x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
  4. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    You are totally going to get flamed Hack, but this was the best post I have read on this topic.

5. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Welp, it's welcome aboard "Ron Mexico" I guess. :shrug:

scruffy

6. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    ... or Mike Vick. :facepalm:

scruffy

7. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Hack, I don't "love" this signing. But I agree with the thought process behind it, even if it gives me indigestion.

Don't want Vick? Neither do I. But what other VIABLE option do we have? Go with LOLandry as our #2? Seriously?

Sure, we could wait until next week and try to pick up a QB some other team drops. (I'd take any Eagles castoff over Vick - even Tebow, and he's not an NFL QB! But he is even better than ROFLandry). But here's the thing: whoever that would be would have to clear waivers. We'd be getting him without even enough time to learn 2 pages of the playbook before the last preseason game. And suppose such a cut isn't made, or we lose out on a waiver claim, what then?

We just can't take that chance.

Are you going to give up a draft pick for Sanchez or Tebow???

Maybe next week we find a castoff and are able to bring him in. Maybe he shows himself to be the superior option to Vick, and we say adios to Ron Mexico. Wouldn't that be great? But in the meantime, or in the case that doesn't happen, we MUST fill that need.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not even going to touch the dog topic, stated my feelings on that but from a football perspective the signing sucks. I have no idea what Hack is looking at but Vick has been terrible since 2011, negative passer rating every year and he's only gotten older. He couldn't even unseat Geno.

I'd rather have Landry, he's been learning Haleys system for 2 years now, has shown improvement and hopefully with time will continue to improve. Theres no way a washed up 35 year old QB was the best option.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Oh C'mon get off your high saintly horses. All of us as human beings are quite capable of horrendous acts.
    Read it, know it, live it > ALL OF US! Yes, even the taking of another's life (gasp). ALL OF US!
    Science, past experience, and the real world tells us this is so. The only real answer is education of which Vick has received and is still undergoing today. He will be paying for what he did for the rest of his life. He is now the talk of this city and is a polarizing figure where ever he goes. His debt continues.

The man did his time, NOT "measly" time but the real deal. 2 years of living like an animal in a cage. Perhaps, that IS some justice for what he did. Regardless, that's our system of justice.

We have to be willing to forgive and educate or all is lost as nothing will ever change.

I don't have a problem with the Steelers signing Michael Vick. He's paid a heavy price, let it be.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    iWell im tired of seeing post like that,, someone doesnt like somthing the team does and its like, well since they did this im done with this, REally?? wth man thats prty childesh if u ask me.. thats all i meant...... i have nvr liked MV long b4 the dog thing happend,, and im still a fan of the Steelers and always will be

11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    In the scriptures it says, thou shalt not hold hate in your heart towards another lest they be a Raven, Patriot, or Cowboy. So, as you see, being okay with Mike Vick throwing touchdowns when LOLandry would throw a pick isn't being a saint, it's just following the bible.

12. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This. Haven't read the rest of the pages in this thread yet, but this sums it all up for me.

It's a shame on many levels. Not least because o the vitriol its brought about on here already.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Jason Campbell would have been a better option as a backup QB IMO, he's younger and less controversial than Vick.

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So, from a non-football perspective I'm disgusted and will remain disgusted. However from a football perspective I disagree with those who are suggesting that either 1. Jones should be our #2 and would be better than Vick, and 2. There was someone else out there right now who is better. With respect to LJ, I finally had a chance to watch the 2nd half of Sunday's game last night, and while he is showing improvement, he's still a long way from being able to win a regular season game. With respect to other QBs available, there's only Jason Campbell and Tyler Thigpen who have any real NFL experience. Campbell may have been an ok option, but I think Vick is significantly better. Thigpen is so.... 2008. He showed promise, but it was a long time ago. I do hope that someone who wants to carry 2 QBs cuts a more viable guy, and we make a move. But until then I think Vick is our best option from a purely football perspective.

I'll never root for Vick, but if he plays I will root for the Steelers to succeed with him in the game. I will have to hold my nose from the stink, but I'm not going to become a Fan of some other team because of this

17. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Ladies and Gentleman, I give you: irony.

• Like Like x 1
  18. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    The one good thing about this signing is that it gives everyone a chance to reveal their character. When someone defends a piece of trash like Vick or sneers at the so called "Steeler way", it's not hard to guess what type of person they are or the type of things they've done or deem acceptable.

It makes it real clear how they were raised.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    But hey, apparently how anyone behaves or thinks is all cultural, so it's ok!

• Like Like x 1
  20. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Isn't Ben also a huge dog fan?

I seem to recall that he also donated (still donates?) a bunch of money for K9 units

21. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wow, I've never been more disappointed in steelers fans then today.
    This is the same qb that beat us just last season or did we allow our personal feelings cloud our judgment.
    I mean, 5000 signing petitions and hate exbited by so called steelernation.We root and welcome back Ben with open arms but crucify Vick...wow! Didn't know that my fellow fans was that prejudice.
    After releasing Boyd and changing the other qb competition to receivers...and the golden boy landy jones not be able to step up,gradkowski on IR...this is the position that the steelers are left in.

22. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    RE. JH and BR and the other dog-lovers in the team, I imagine they'll all play on the practice field as per normal. And I hope they do, for two reasons:

1. A player going out of his way to injure a team-mate isn't a great vibe to have in any team.
    2. Vick getting hit hard on the field, even to the extent of breaking something, doesn't exactly balance things out.

I think we'll see a lot of happy expressions coming from the team towards the media. If the players have an issue with the signing - and maybe some of them will - then I'd fully expect them to take that up with Tomlin and Colbert inside the team facilities, and away from what we can see.

In the meantime, I wouldn't read anything into any comments players are making to the press.

23. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    I don't know if you realize how this whole fan/team relationship works, so I'll break it down for you ... the people shelling out their hard earned money don't owe **** to the people collecting it ... least of all "loyalty".

The Steelers just to a **** on everyone who loves dogs, and fans who don't want sadistic psychopaths associated with their team or their community. We've basically been told to go #&%$! ourselves.

Expressions of displeasure are to be expected.

• Like Like x 1
  24. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

How so?? lol

25. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    Yes, we're prejudiced against sadists.