1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

They need to keep Ward - it is the right thing to do

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  2. silverbackforpres

silverbackforpres Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Got to love Hines most athletes arent willing to take the paycut. I expect the front office to play ball. And hopefully with a new OC we can utilize him better. Rather than trying to hit Wallace deep 5 times a game.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hines Ward needs to rededicate himself to working harder.
    He has become to soft and slow. If he does this, then with the right coordinator
    he can still help out the Steelers. Hines always talks about Donald Driver, well look at him he doesn't look as slow as Hines. Get yourself in shape and play with some desire and emotion and you will be fine.

4. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I agree that he has another year in him. I've been touting him as the "Bettis of 2012". I really think this can happen and he can contribute (in a limited way on the field) to a successful season next year. I want to see that smile return and I would LOVE to see him get a third ring and go out a champion.

5. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Arians has been with Ward most of his hugely successful career. Arians knows how to use Ward.

6. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Rut-roh..... here it comes! DUCK!!!!

7. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

Thats Laughable. In 2012 his touches decreased significantly and the majority of the times it was for the bubble screen play call only. After every team recognized it they shut it down for the most part. Ward still can be a great slot receiver. After he broke Keith Rivers jaw on a legal (at the time) blind side hit he saw his role there diminish greatly.

Bruce Arians probably wouldn't know how to use a pencil if it weren't already sharpened for him.

8. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Ward can be used multiple ways still in this offense, but for the most part, his success will be against teams playing zone. He knows how to find those soft spots still in a zone. In addition, he could be in on EVERY run play as he is still a better blocker than any of the other guys. I know that makes him a glorified FB/TE, but it is a role that he can fill if he wants to come back. Ward is no longer going to be one of the 4 receivers when we are 4 wide and need 15 yards...he just isn't.

9. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Unfortunately, our major offensive strategy is geared around going for 15 yards or more on most plays, even is short yardage situations. The short passes are not part of the plan, so Ward's utility has diminished. It is a matter of philosophy, one I think is flawed and shortsighted (or would it be long-sighted?).

10. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I miss the days where we cut players at their peak and we start anew with our draft picks. Hated to see Lake and Woodsen go, but that's the way it goes. Holding on to vets to long, slows the development of the young guys. Love you Hines, but time to join ESPN as a pregame talking head.

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ward could easily be the 4th receiver...Cotchery is gone, he wants to play and will be paid good money. If Ward wants to stay he will renegotiate.

I agree. Ward is king of finding the open spot in a zone and catching that 5 to 10 yard pass... lord knows they should do this more often to move the chains in the redzone.

That said...if the FO thinks he is done he will be let go. This is still a business.

12. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I love hines. when you watch him and this goes back to last year he is not running as crisp of routes as he used to. he has major trouble getting any seperation and about the only thing he still does at a high level is block. he fumbles more than he used to and does not come up with the catches he used to. I still think he is a good 4th option. I hate to see him in any other uniform, but I am afraid he wont take the kind of pay cut we need him to.

13. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :amen:

14. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    No i love hines but hes done. I seen him drop more balls this year then the last 5 combined. Hell je catches that pass with 5 seconds left at the marker for suisham there is no over time. Its a business and keeping him would be a personal thing. Sorry but he brings this team down. Give his mone to cotch

15. NM Steelers Fan

NM Steelers Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Why can't we just make him a WR coach? That way he can stay and still get more rings.

16. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

why do people think that just because you play the game you can coach? has hines ever said anything about coaching?

17. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  18. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    No but all the young bucks say ward has taught them so much so it soinds like he is coaching already

19. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Agree!! That's why Keisel sat so long on the bench and we only get a few years out of him. Deshea Townsend sat behind two of the worst corners in the league and we only got a few years out of him before his time was up.

BA won't use Hines the way he should be used, so I hope Hines comes to his senses and retires. It would definitely make it easier. Even a significant pay cut would not be enough. I'll wait until training camp, but if a rookie or Tyler Grisham and Wes Lylons show promise, he's gone.

20. NM Steelers Fan

NM Steelers Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Exactly my point.

21. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I love Hines like the rest of you,But It's time to hang it up.We need our young guys to be on the field as much as possible.
    Hopefully,Hines could still be with the team,Helping our WR'S somehow.It's a business,Nothing Personal.