1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So Long B.B.

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by blountforcetrauma, May 15, 2015.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
  2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I loved his music, I always wanted to see him in concert, but he just nvr came to Okla enough, when he was tour.. Rip, Mr. King...( Now he is walking with the King)

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I had the pleasure of seeing BB a couple times. The man embodied the blues. Has anyone influenced so many guitarists the way he has?

The thrill is gone. :(

4. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    He is flat out one of the most influential players in ANY kind of music and has inspired players of EVERY kind of music. He is the greatest "less is more" player of all time and it's not even close. When you hear a blues player go to the highest octave and ring out the root note you are hearing pure theft. That was all B.B. and EVERY blues player has stolen that technique.

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Man, you have a LOT of heroes. lol. Sad day for the music world. R.I.P.
    When I saw the title of this thread, I was hoping you were referring to Bellichick!

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I really do. LOL. I have them in different areas though. Like in guitar I have SRV, Hendrix, Guy, B.B., and others. In pop culture I have Walt Disney, Andy Griffith, Don Knotts, Larry Hagman, and Andy Kaufman. In American history I have Abraham Lincoln, Calvin Coolidge, Ronald Reagan, and so on and so forth. I just break them down in to sub groups. LOL. B.B. King was highly influential in the style of guitar playing that I love to do the most though.

7. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    bb king photo.jpg bb king.jpg

Thank you Mr.King for all the good times. R.I.P. :bye:

8. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    When I first saw the post title I was browsing "new posts" so I didn't realize this was in The Watercooler and about had a heart attack thinking it was Big Ben.

But that aside, this is really sad news, although not really unexpected at his age. He was an amazing player and has more influence than most of us probably will ever realize.

9. grannieBurgh

grannieBurgh Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Over time, it might be family, friend or favorite, but more and more...

"... I just turned around and he's gone." Thanks, BB.

10. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Really hard pill to swallow. My dad was a member of his bad (drums) for a period way back in the 70's.

11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Dude that is SUPER sweet!!!!!! I'm supposing your dad has also got to share the stage with Buddy Guy as well? Albert King? Freddie? All the legends? Man you've got me geeking out dude! LOL! You GOTTA drop some knowledge on me!

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelerEmpire

Aug 30, 2015
    Oh yea he was up there with a lot of them. He started out at 17 with Bobby Blue Bland. James Brown even came by the house once when I was a kid. Before he got sick, my uncle (dad's bro) last played with a band called "Doc Blues Review" here out of okc. Doc Blues (a professional dentist) was the original Blues Brother and his band wore the exact same dark suit, sun glasses and hat. The guys that created the Blues Brothers movies actually stole that entire style from him, he never got a dime for it. His club called "The Biting Sow" is still here in downtown okc. Last I checked, Doc Blues still performs there every Friday night. Stop threw and have a drink with him sometime.

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Dude Bobby Bland is the MAN! That is so cool man! I loved his and B.B.'s version of Let The Good Times Roll. Of course Bobby also nailed Stormy Monday as well. I'm a nerd for stuff like that. LOL. A guy that I used to play blues with when we were teens got to share the stage with Buddy Guy. I'm happy for him that he did. Buddy is my ultimate blues hero probably. SRV and B.B. are right there though. It kind of just depends on what day it is and what time you ask me. LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Wow, that's awesome!

15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I LOVE Albert Collins! When I got my scholarship to play guitar in college the music director told me I could pick a song for our jazz band to play and I picked Don't Lose Your Cool. I love that song so much.

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I didn't really think too deeply on this, but is your dad Jabo Starks?

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, Albert Collins was the man. I think he's pretty underrated in terms of Blues guitarists, but maybe that's just my perception.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    It's the quintessential version. When I think of SMB, that's the only version I ever think of.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gothamroguefan

gothamroguefan Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Ha! Too funny, wishful thinking!

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    He had phenomenal phrasing and killer tone.

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree. I think T-Bone's is awesome but blues is the kind of music where one guy creates a song that's sort of a template that then other people pick up and take to another level. There's lots of blues songs that fall under that category.

23. SteelerEmpire

Aug 30, 2015
    Oh heck no, lol. He didn't stay around long enough to reach no where near that level of fame. Unfortunately, he died of a drug overdose (heroin) in the 70's before he could really make a name for himself. One of his stage names he used back then was Red "Live Wire" Nelson tho.
    Drugs were a 'big' part of the music industry back then from what I understand. This in turn led to my late uncle, John Nelson, and his bands strict practices against "any" type of drug use. Like they would play overtime and after hrs until everyone was dead tired and couldn't go out partying, and thus not use. His son, Prince, adopted the same practices and has been drug free til this day. That part of the fam did fairly well imo lol.

24. SteelerEmpire

Aug 30, 2015
    Wow kool ! As I sit here thinking about it, didn't know there were this many blues enthusiasts around here ! What are some of the other things you've experienced on the circuit ?

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I've seen some sweet blues shows. I've got to see Buddy Guy a couple of times and got to talk with his keyboard player for a long time after a show one night when I was like 18 or so. He told me he could tell that I knew my stuff and said that if I could get to Chicago he would get me on stage with Buddy. But I was too young and too poor. LOL. I also got to meet Kenny Wayne Shepherd and have him sign my Strat. He was a nice guy too. I also have my Strat signed by Scott Holt who was Buddy's rhythm player for a long time. I actually sorta snuck backstage when I was probably about 17 or so to meet him at this outdoor show. He had just got done and I ran around the stage really quick and there as no one around and I just opened up my case and he seemed sorta shocked that I was there but he signed it anyway! LOL! I've been fortunate enough to meet a lot of people that have influenced me musically. I've met Dickey Betts from the Allman Brothers. Have signatures from Warren Haynes and picks from him and Dickey both. and I've been backstage with Skynyrd and A Perfect Circle as well. Still the pick I got from B.B. is my best rock memorabilia.

• Like Like x 1