1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

could deflate gate affect our opener?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, May 6, 2015.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Just a question, as I don't know the answer.

Has MLB ever suspended a player for using a corked bat? Have they ever suspended a pitcher for doctoring balls?

Has the NHL ever suspended a player of using an illegal stick, say one with too much curve or oversize blade? Have they ever suspended a goalie for oversize pads?

to me, deflate gate is more/less the NFL version of the above. And as far as I know the other sports have not suspended guys for these kind of things. They've fined them, but I don't know of any suspensions, but I could be wrong.

along these lines, I'm not sure that I'm expecting anything more than a fine for Tom Terrific

2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Actually, I answered my own question. Gaylord Perry got 10 game suspension in 1982 for doctoring a baseball. 8 years after he wrote "Me and the Spitter" That's
    The equivalent of a 1/2 game NFL suspension and they got Perry dead to rights.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yes they are dob. they mentioned it during the draft and it had come out a while back about them possibly doing that.:cool:

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So football has to dole out punishments based on other sports?

It doesn't matter, NE has a history of cheating and the NFL has been taking a beating in the public relations department.

I think more than a fine is coming.

5. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Sammy Sosa got 8 games which was reduced to 7 for using a corked bat. I guessing juicing alone wasn't enough. Using an illegally curved stick carries an in-game penalty if you get called on it. I don't know that any player has ever been suspended for an equipment violation.

6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Just look at what MLB has done to Pete Rose!

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Pete Rose is his own worst enemy. Tom Brady is the complete opposite. Both are delusional deniers.

8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Ahh, ok. MY bad thought you were digging on me for the Specter thing...lol

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Rose admitted to betting and apologized for it years ago. Brady??????

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Not at all Liz we good! Hahaha

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Brady's dad says his son has integrity and would never cheat. I'm sorry Mr. Brady I don't recall your son standing up front and center to tell the league that your coach was using illegally obtained tapes of opposing teams to cheat. No Tom-Tom politely said thanks coach what else you got? He is such a man of integrity.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Heard some interesting things this morning on the radio. Haven't read the whole thread so if I'm repeating forgive me. The Patriots have lost the least number of fumbles for an outdoor team for a good many years. (Can't remember the year they stated). The deflated balls are more easily gripped by the RB (or WR) and could absorb harder impacts than a higher inflated ball. I found this very interesting.

Obviously not the major reason for the deflation, but a nice bonus.

Like many others, I don't think the deflation was the worst part, but the cover-up and un-willingness to cooperate with the investigation was very telling.

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  14. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    I have to disagree with you and others here fart. The deflation was the most egregious act of all. They took the balls AFTER they were approved by the officials and deflated them. Thats a HUGE F%#K YOU to the rules.

"We are the NE Patriots our QB is Tom Brady and he likes the footballs at 10.5 psi NOT the 12.5 psi that all other teams are required to play with. So we should be allowed to deflate them against ALL NFL rules. Did I mention our QB IS Tom Brady."

That is what Id expect from the Pats front office. IF they were honest.:roflmao:

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Very true, they did try to gain an advantage much like Offensive lineman smearing Vaseline on their arms and players using stick-um. Crowd noise, etc etc. I cannot argue your viewpoint.

I did like how Arthur Blank, owner of the Falcons, came out and said he was appalled by the use of crowd noise at Atlanta's stadium. Took a strong character to admit that, even if he wasn't responsible.

16. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    He WAS responsible. Its his team. He is responsible for EVERYTHING his team does. He is the owner. Yes it is great to see a owner say "The buck stops here." Just wish we had more owners who DIDNT pass the buck.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    guess I should have said, "directly responsible". It seemed he was circumvented imo. OTOH, I don't see Kraft ever fessing up to any wrong doings. He would not only pass the buck, he would only pass on 75cents.

18. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Several pitchers have been suspended multiple games for doctoring baseballs, the most recent being Michael Pineda. Joe Niekro once got ten days for having sandpaper in his glove.

19. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    If I owned a multi million dollar business and was "circumvented" on ANY decisions concerning my business.....HEADS WOULD ROLL!!!

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    You're right, I'm sure Home Depot is just coasting through its business and he has all the time in the world. Let alone the millions he pays Dmitrioff to be GM.

This is a dumb argument anyway so I'm done with it.

21. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Inderesting....very inderesting... :hmmm:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/deflat...-why-patriots-don-t-fumble-003107565-nfl.html

22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  24. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Let's assume that Brady will be out for the opener against the Steelers. If it's multiple games, do the Pats bring in a new QB, instead of starting backup Jimmy Garoppolo? Do they pick up Matt Flynn? Kyle Orton?

Another question: Does this make it more likely that Golspn and Dupree start the game.

25. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'll chime in on the second question: I don't think it makes a difference at all. I'd be shocked if either of those guys makes a start the first quarter of the season, and it could easily be a lot longer than that. They won't care too much, if at all, about the other teams.

Plus, we play down to inferior opponents all the time. We've lost to worse players than Garoppolo.