1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft Do-Over -- What Would You Have Done?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HugeSnack, May 5, 2015.

1. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Rules

• List your ideal draft, based on the way the actual draft played out.
      • That means either keep the player the Steelers selected, or a player that came after him.
    • No trading. We can't assume what kind of deal we could have gotten. Use the same picks the Steelers used.
    • Explain, or don't.

Mine:

1. Alvin "Bud" Dupree, OLB

I do see some risk with him, but I don't see who would have been a better pick. If I didn't like Bud, trading back would have been the next step.

I almost picked: N/A

2. Senquez Golson, CB

I shocked myself with this one. Still? Even with all the options?? I fully admit when I saw the pick I thought, "REACH!" ...But looking at who was selected after, there isn't anyone I want more. As the draft unfolded live, Quinten Rollins was my pick, but there was something uneasy about him in the back of my mind. The same feeling I had about Rowe and Alex Carter - all of them are either corner/safety hybrids or corners whose value largely comes from having safety as a fallback position. So, high levels of play at multiple positions like Rod Woodson? Or Jack of all trades and master of none, like Trai Essex? I don't want to draft a CB that has to morph into a FS. I want an awesome CB. It's still a very close call, and if Rowe was on the board he'd probably be the pick, but I'll go with the guy who has the best chance of getting turnovers, Golson.

I almost picked: CB Quinten Rollins

3. T.J. Clemmings, OT

A foot injury dropped him, but I don't think it's that serious. I see real potential for him to be the next Mike Adams (that's bad), but I think that's his floor. He could also be better. He gives us a real backup at two positions, and an emergency plan if we lose Beachum to FA. I like Coates, but I feel like this is equal or greater value at a position we need more. I also like Carl Davis, but feel like Michael Bennett gives us a better pass rush, and two rounds later.

I almost picked: DL Carl Davis, WR Sammie Coates, DL Henry Anderson

4. Doran Grant, CB

Perfect.

I almost picked: N/A

5. Michael Bennett, DL

Really hard to get rid of Jesse James here, who I liked a lot more after we drafted him and looked at him more closely. But I feel like Bennett is a better player than the guys we got in the 6th in the real draft. I think he could be a nickel pass rusher to start with, and learn another position as time goes by. That's the Brett Keisel path, isn't it?

I almost picked: TE Jesse James, FS Derron Smith

6a. La'el Collins, OL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NFL said he can't re-enter the draft next year. What are his options? Play for us or don't play. This team is a great situation for him. Block for an elite quarterback and running back. Play for a winner. No pressure early. Learn from the best coach in the game. He could backup both guard positions and compete with Clemmings for RT, and become our starting LG next year. Then we re-sign him to a reasonable contract a year after that. Hopefully the fact that he's our first 6th round pick soothes his ego.

I almost picked: WR Tre McBride, WR Darren Waller

6b. Gerod Holliman, FS

This one was a hard call. I initially scrapped him for red zone threat Waller, but I'm running with the theme of my late round picks: go big or go home. Probably he either turns into the playmaker for us after a couple years, or he fizzles out as a rookie.

I almost picked: TE Ben Koyak

7. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB

Redshirt 2015. Sean Spence with more potential, at a position we desperately need high talent. 3 CBs in one draft is a lot, but there will be space for Ifo in 2016. All we need is his health.

I almost picked: Gerod Holliman here, with Darren Waller at 6a and La'el Collins at 6b.

Those three final picks are extremely boom/bust, but most 6th/7th rounders are more like bust/bust, or maybe special teamer/bust. If just one of the last three pans out, it's a win. What do you think? What would you have done?

2. steelerdavidismyname

steelerdavidismyname Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Bennett had some serious Injury Issues that dropped him, and, he makes zero sense for us cause he is strictly a 3-technique D-Linemen. Best for a Tampa-cover 2 system. And there is maybe 3 or 4 total NFL teams that. Also Collins....maybe in the 7th round just to secure his draft rights. But any sooner would be Nuts. Not knowing his situation.

3. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm bringing in Bennett for a pass rush. We're in nickel half the time. There's no rush for him to learn another position, but I think he can do it. He has a year or two. If he pans out in base defense that's great, but if not, it's no big loss.

I've had the Collins debate before so I don't want to get into likelihoods of his playing, but I think it's weird you are totally fine with drafting him in the 7th, but think the 6th is "nuts."

4. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The steelers will never ever be the team that gets collins, too busy taking the high road and acquiring fine young men

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    at the end i'm satisfied of what they have done ..hope they coach them up well if yes we can have something .. again this draft is difficult to grade because every players were not sure things .. hope we choose the right ones . btw we will need time to be contender for a superbowl .. unless allen shazier jarvis shamarko will take a big step up

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good, they can play football just as well and not worry about being suspended or cut for whatever it is that stupid, selfish people will end up doing.

7. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    1- Bud Dupree OLB Kentucky

No brainer for me but I guess you could throw Shane Ray OLB Mizzou into the discussion.

2- Senquez Golson CB Ole Miss

Could be a strong argument for Alex Carter CB Stanford or PJ Williams CB FSU

3- Sammie Coates WR Auburn

Wouldn't change this pick

4- Doran Grant CB Ohio St

Wouldn't change this pick

5- Robert Myers G Tenn St

Jesse James TE Penn St or Cameron Artis-Payne RB Auburn

6a- Anthony Chickillo OLB Miami U

Josh Robinson RB Miss St

6b- Gerod Holliman

Ben Koyack TE ND

7- Ifo Ekpre Olomu CB Oregon

8. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    why ? if is cleared he is like all the others .. innocent and while i don't think they will win the bid war , would be nice to add collins . a first round talent at lower price .. we have need at guard at ot ....would be the ice on the cake

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, thats not what I was saying good too, I was saying good that they go after high character guys.

No one is going to touch Collins right now, too hot.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    ah ok .. but if is cleared we should have at least make a try

11. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    of course the foot master has already had dinner with Collins though...

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Landing him would be a steal for sure.

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    1. Dupree - no change
    2. Golson - no change
    3. Henry Anderson - Coates has huge upside, but I would have taken a prototypical 3-4 DE to bolster the depth and rotation. He seems to be the type of player that would be solid for a long time. Second choice - Xavier Cooper
    4. Grant - no change
    5. Kenny Bell - Prospect for the 4/5 WR. High character, great work ethic, willing blocker. I would have preferred defense all four rounds to start it off.
    6. Walton - no change, love this pick
    6. Tre McBride - another WR with KR experience. Him and Bell fight it out. I think Chickillo would have been an UDFA and doubt he would have signed with us after his comments from the article I posted in the draft thread. Said he didn't like the 3-4 and would prefer the 4-3.
    7. Holliman - no change

I'll still root for Coates, James, and Chickillo obviously, and thought the actual draft overall was good.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    OK, I'll play:

1. Dupree - I was pacing the room hoping that he'd fall to us. When he did, I told my wife "get ready to call 911 if we take Landon Collins and leave Dupree on the board." He will need some coaching, but I think he's going to be a top pass rusher in 2016. He'll see some good playing time in 2015, but I wouldn't worry if 2015 ends up being largely a redshirt year for him. Be patient, and he'll get there.

2. PJ Williams - I'm basing this on his tape. To me he has top 20 talent, and would be a great fit on the outside in our scheme. He is a really good player, and looks to be a well-liked team leader on the field. I know that he had some off field issues. They didn't sound significant enough to me to drop him too much, but I didn't get to interview him. I don't hate the Golson pick, and am pretty good with where things ended up because we also landed Grant in the 4th.

3. TJ Clemmings - for the reasons that Snack gave. No need to elaborate further. If Golson were still available here, he might be the pick, but I can't make that assumption. I will also say that Grant was right behind Clemmings on my wish list. I had him that high.

4. Grant. Great. Moving on...

5. Kenny Bell, WR, Nebraska - A good blend of height, weight, speed and production. Pretty good WR overall. Honestly, I haven't watched film of him, so I'm going on what I remember from watching games on Saturdays and from what I've read about him. Since in my 1st 4 picks we wouldn't have gotten a WR, I take the best one left on the board out of a really deep WR class.

6a. Walton - I didn't know much about him when we drafted him, but from all that I've read since then it sounds like a good pick. I haven't been able to find any full games of his online yet.

6b. Tyler Varga, RB, Yale - I'm going with my local guy from Connecticut. He is a do-it-all kind of back who is pretty underrated. He'll never be a starter, but could be a reliable, versatile backup. Played great in the Sr Bowl (2 TDs rushing plus a few receptions).

7. Holliman - I was pretty down on him as a higher round prospect, but at this point he's well worth the risk. Those ball skills are great.

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Some of the Pittsburgh sports writers who have the inside scoop says Clemmings' medical condition is he could have a shortened career. He says he doesn't feel pain now, but then 4 to 5 years he could just be done as a player.

16. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    That's one hell of a prediction.

17. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well before I do this I want to say I am happy with our draft and I trust the front office with what they are thinking. Hell they know a hell of a lot more then me but that is why I am here posting and they are not, lol. With that said here are my chenges.....

Round 1 - I would keep the same, I think the pick like it or not was the pick the Steelers had to make. I am just hoping we get the next JH and not another JJ!

Round 2 - I would have went Alex Carter and the reason is cause he plays more of a zone system, so that is what the experts say. I am coming around to the Golson pick but I would have went Carter here.

Round 3 & 4 same

Round 5 - Max Valles OLB Virgina, I liked the James pick but there were still TE's out there I liked and our 2 biggest needs(OLB & CB) would have been addresses without any reach. Valles looked good with what I watched on him.

Round 6A - Same

Round 6B - Koyack TE, I feel just as good as James.

Round 7 - Same, however I would have liked Iko here but as everyone knows Holliman was the one guy in this draft I wanted.