1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome To The Pittsburgh Steelers Bud Dupree!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Steel_Razorback

Steel_Razorback Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I give Tomlin & Co. a "C" for this pick.

The Dupree pick wasn't Landry Jones bad by any stretch of the imagination but it's nothing to get overly excited about either. We needed an impactful corner and seemingly got an inconsistent above-average DE (from the SEC.... but with far fewer accolades than stand-out JJ). Plus, a good combine in 2015 means the kid "runs/jumps" well, is willing to squeeze into ridiculous gear, and doesn't smoke pot for the event. Anyway, I'm glad to have him but we're loooong overdue for one of those guys who make a big splash year-one.

He has a clear upside, certainly. And steel1031 was correct in that there're negatives being said about all players in Scouting reports.... but this is what's being said about him:

"Said to be a nice situational pass-rusher... explosive off the snap, but disappears if lineman are able to engage him.

What makes him so intriguing is his immense talent and potential, which were evident in brief glimpses in college, but he never consistently dominated a game like a potential top pick should.

However, Dupree is like a fish out of water. He struggles to shed blockers and gets stoned when lineman are able to set their base against him. Dupree isn't technically sound either. His dip-and-rip move leaves a lot to be desired of a pass-rusher. He simply cannot get off blocks if he doesn't beat his lineman to the edge.

Often, Dupree struggles to come off blocks against smaller players in the run game, which is not a good sign. It looks like he tends to take plays off if his first or second move does not succeed. He will need to improve his motor at the next level."
    Dupree's inability to shed blocks translates into the run game as well. He once lineman get theirs mitts on him, Dupree is too often helpless to get free or even maintain his ground. Don't let his high tackle count deceive you. Many of those were hustle tackles, from tackling ball-carriers past the line of scrimmage."

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What does the "ED" mean, erectile dysfunction?

3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Jevon Kearse like I hope.

4. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

you happy ?

5. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Who would you have taken over Dupree?

6. Steel_Razorback

Steel_Razorback Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012

Dupree is a welcome addition to the Steelers and one heck of a player. He was hands down BPA for the team at 22... glad to have him! It's almost unanimous by the "experts" who are rating this an "A" to "A+" in round one. The more video watched... the more read on here / elsewhere... Bud's outstanding character reports / team captain etc... the BETTER this selection seems... period.

As to whom I would have picked? Well at this point "love the one you're with" but on day-one leading up to the draft... guess it was all too easy to get caught up in the 2015 Steel wave swelling for one of the best CBs. Blinded by nostalgic visions of what it was like with Rod Woodson on the field. Knowing it goes against team SoP, it seemed plausible they might actually move up enough to get Johnson (16) or Peters (18). Perhaps they could have offered a 4th, or two sixth round picks - one this year one next... who knows? We also wouldn't have been forced to spend two other picks (opportunities) on lower rated CBs (not intended as a slam on Steelers Golson/Grant).

Anyway... Dupree was great pick for Coach/Colbert. Can't wait to see him creating havoc on the field.

7. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Rod Woodson wasn't on the board and moving up to find someone who's Woodson like_no thanks.

It's all a gamble but Dupree was the obvious take.

8. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Perhaps you are the one who should read it again-I've even included an image of the directory for you Screen Shot 2015-05-04 at 5.37.55 PM.jpg

I'm not sure you're aware of how PFF works, but they base their analysis PRECISELY by watching every player on every snap.

Either way, this Manziel fantasy profile is from BEFORE their full rollout of College Football Focus, which is the most detailed and unbiased scouting source out there.

Even if you thought this Manziel article was legitimate, no one is claiming that college tape dictates 100% of NFL success, so bringing one example that was incorrect doesn't even discredit the entire site.

And the fact that you were looking for is right there- against power 4 teams he graded 23rd best in edge rushing- that means QB hits, hurries, sacks rates per pass rush attempt.

"The single most referenced Signature Stat for the defensive side of the ball is our ‘Pass Rushing Productivity’ that calculates a score to reflect the frequency of pressure generated by a defender. All sacks, hits, and hurries are added up and (with sacks weighted heavier and some multipliers in place to give us a workable PRP score) they’re broken down on a per-pass-rushing-snap basis."

Attached Files:

9. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They had Khalil Mack rated as the top defensive player in the NFL last year, if my memory serves me. If in fact I am correct, I highly scrutinize their scoring system.

10. SteelTerp

Oct 26, 2011
  11. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks. I can't argue with Mack being 2nd as DROY.. Just thought I had read a while back that he was ranked 2nd best defensive player last year.. Not 1st as I had said.. Anyway, their ranking system reminds me of Bill James "moneyball" system.

12. SteelTerp

Oct 26, 2011
    How so? bill James' advanced stats required no film whatsoever- it was completely statistics based.

PFF is completely film based- they watch each player on each play and grade what they do and what position they're in. Very little math required.

13. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I prefer playmakers, not the guys that do what the scheme intends all the time. I'm curious as to how Troy ranked with them on a yearly basis. Not implying anything because I have absolutely no idea how they ranked him. Just curious..

14. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Not true. They combine. And they aren't always right. :thumbs_up:

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Love this quote "his cerebral post-snap capabilities are comparable to those of Tom Brady"

16. SteelTerp

Oct 26, 2011
    I still don't think it's fair to compare them to Bill James

And no one is 100% right, it would be ludicrous to claim that-

but to completely discount their college scouting because of a single fantasy post that was inaccurate (not for ability, mind you, but because the player needed rehab) is silly

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :eek: :roflmao:

The irony is, Brady should have been a first rd pick while JM should have been a 6th rd pick. About the only reason those two should be mentioned in the same breath.