1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Select WR Sammie Coates In The 3rd Round

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, May 1, 2015.

1. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I agree with this. Brown/Bryant/Wheaton/Coates will be a very young and talented WR corp for many years to come.

2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Coates biggest knock is dropping in games! I don' care about DHB's stats as far as catches, because he wasn't targeted. He went out there and actually blocked =, which is something they said he wasn't good at, also he stil had that deep speed that demanded some help. Opened things for Brown and Wheaton.

3. Hi5Steeler

Hi5Steeler Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015

the only reason DHB is on the team is special teams and he knows this himself. You dont suit up a 3rd wr and run him on the field to be a decoy. That would be insanity. Plus he was targeted 5 times in 17 games counting playoffs. Thats not even decoy work. I do not believe he was on the field on offense to open things up. Not buying any of that. With all due respect to another steeler fan

4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    DHB was not the #3 last year and wasn't expected to be the #3 this year. He's the #4 (an experienced 4) and you do suit up a #4 to run on the field to spread the defense out. I originally said, "what does Coates give on Special teams?". DHB is a monster on ST. Coates will be the #5 until he shows the game isn't to fast for him.

5. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Are there any picks we made that get your stamp of approval?? Yeah, I thought not...

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    coates will replace weathon if solve his drops problems

7. Hi5Steeler

May 1, 2015

DUDE ... I know where DHB was on the depth chart, I wasnt talking depth chart I was talking on the field.... two totally different things. DHB was also actually WR #5 on the depth chart if you want to take that route so you are wrong there also.

btw NFL network showed pics of all steeler wrs including DHB and said Coates is instantly the #4 and will push Wheaton at #3 , so the experts on the network disagree with your assessment.

And to touch on calling DHB experienced well yea, he was experienced at always dropping the ball his entire career. I live a half hour drive from Oakland so trust me I know all about DHB. All raider fans say he is total garbage. And they have seen a lot of garbage players recently, they are pretty much experts on who sucks at this juncture.

8. Hi5Steeler

May 1, 2015

Richard Mann the Steelers WR coach said he watched all the tape on Coates. Said the team used him wrong. Had him subbing in and out and in and out and so when that happens a player loses focus. He said this is not an excuse just what he saw on tape and what he see watching a LOT of wrs in the nfl over a long coaching career. What mann didnt say as he was politically correct is that Coates had a converted DB throwing him the ball i.e. a very bad QB.

9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Why are you acting all mad and attacking me. What did I say wrong about Coates? Hell I love the potential he brings so I don't know why you think I'm knocking him. The knock on DHB is that he drops balls. The knock on Coates is he drops balls. They both were considered burners. Was DHB a 1st rounder that shouldn't have been picked that high by the Raiders? Yes.

Where he (Coates) shakes out on the roster is up to his performance and that includes what he might bring on Special Teams. We know that Brown, Wheaton and Bryant are not going to be taking significant snaps on ST. DHB does and I'd want to know if Coates will or can since he'll be either the 4 or 5.

Coates might replace Wheaton in a year or 2 if he solves his drop problems and learns the offense good enough. (read: can run the routes reliably) So for at least a year, Yes, he needs to contribute on Special Teams as well. No doubt they try to get him into the games as a WR, but that means at least 4 wide sets and one of the other guys coming out since they also, plan on using Bell and Archer lining up wide.

Say what you want and call me wrong, but DHB is more than likely staying on the team and if one of the top 3 goes down, he will more than likely be the guy that steps in to replace them. (At least through the first half of the season)

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not this season he won't, but maybe in 2016. The WRs look better than last year with the addition of Coates and the development of Bryant, a improvement over Justin Brown.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, they need depth, they were bringing in receivers before the whole AB thing ever surfaced. Doesn't hurt though, more leverage.

12. steelerdavidismyname

steelerdavidismyname Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    I love Antonio, we all do. And in this day in football, we all know that players who are underpaid often Hold out. I mean Hines did it a few times while he was under contract. So lets not hold that against him IF he decides to Hold out of Camp. It's just a leverage move. But I feel we will get something done with Antonio.

But even if he does get re-signed, we still were a below average team when inside the 15 yard line. We lacked size and heaight down there, and lets face facts, Antonio and Wheaton cannot perform Fade plays or jump balls to the back of the endzone. So now..Imagine the steelers inside say the 10 yard line...with Bell in the backfield either to get a quick hitter off the line, or to pass block for Ben while we have....Bryant-Sammie Coates...Jesse James, and Antonio out there, or maybe Bell is not in, and we have Heath in there ? I mean I can see Ben licking his Chops out there with a Big Ole smile on his face.

Yes with 5 WR/TE out there that means no other protection other then the O-Line. But remember we have the hardest NFL QB to try and tackle in the league, and with those Giants out there, along with the quick darting Antonio...how much time will Ben need to find one of them ? That is why we added Coates...and added a supremely Athletic and TALL guy like Jesse James out there. Yes Heath is a tall 6ft, 5...but he is not 6ft, 8 ( With shoes )...or anywhere close to as Athletic and with James leaping ability. I mean it just creates A LOT of OPTIONS for us....and creates a LOT of PROBLEMS for opposing defenses. I cannot speak for my fellow Steeler fans here but for me.....I am excited as HECK!!

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe Hines only did it once and I didn't like it. I would absolutely hold it against AB if he did, but he won't.

14. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
  15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Thank you.

Looks like the local media is saying possible replacement for Wheaton after he gets his route and hands down. As it stands now, he'd be doing the same thing Bryant did last year if he starts this year.

Terrible podcast brought up an interesting point about using him in the redzone....said all his touchdowns are more than 30 yards or something with the exception of one 9 yarder.

16. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    From the video's I've seen he basically runs 3 routes. Go's, crosses and bubble screens. He has the physical traits to be effective in the red zone in my opinion. Once he gets the full route tree down he'll be difficult to cover for opposing DB's

17. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm really not sold on this pick. I'm not so sure it was a position of need, at least not at that point in the draft. While Coates has some upside, I've read he has a tendency to be lazy. He also doesn't have the greatest hands. On top of that, he's quite raw still.

I just think we could have done better at a position of need

18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This. AB could be my favourite player of all time and I would still hold it against him if he held out. The team comes first. Hines was one of my favourite players of all time and I didn't like that stunt he pulled. Troy was also one of my favourites ever and I wanted him to retire at the end of last year because to me the team is more important than any individual player.

Hopefully AB does the right thing

19. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Do you remember where you read this?? I've read quite the contrary, that he's a hard worker and has all the intangibles..

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Some of the same things they said about Martavis Bryant from last years draft, and he turned out alright.

21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

If they put Coates on the practice squad will he last ?

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree that it would be a bit of a risk putting a 3rd rounder on the PS. Unless there were some horrible pre-season performances.

23. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

no

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They won't risk putting a 3rd rd pick on the PS.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they will put him on the end zone squad though.:smiley1::cool: