1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lebeau calling it quits!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelerzfannforever, Jan 10, 2015.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I wasn't speculating when I sad Tomlin PREFERS the 4-3. It IS speculation to say that we are SWITCHING to a 4-3. I just thought everyone had seen that special on Tomlin from NFL Network when he was hired. That's where that info comes from.

2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    3-4 or 4-3 it doesn't matter. in todays nfl teams are never in a base anyway. its all nickel. we need to just have someone who is creative with the people we have in place. add some guys and become a hybrid , aggressive defense

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    :this!:

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Very true. The grass is always greener etc, but people are too hung up on base alignments in today's NFL.

5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  6. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Well, many got their wish. He is fairly out and another fairly in, let us see who is the better for it.

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

At face value your example would seem to have merit; however, there's more to the story. The Cowboys ran a 4-3 tried switching to a 3-4, failed miserably, and went back to a 4-3.

8. tarheelsteel

tarheelsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not saying he definitely prefers a 4-3 or a 3-4 but all that proves is that 8 years ago he preferred a 4-3. He likely hasn't changed that opinion but you never know, maybe after a couple of runs to the Super Bowl and being around the 3-4 for 8 years he's had a change of heart and is now a 3-4 convert.

Having said that, today feels like a day that I knew was coming some day but I was never going to be ready for it. It doesn't mean I think it was necessarily a bad decision, but it's always weird to turn the page like that. If Troy, Ike, Harrison, and Keisel all decide to hang it up this off season too then come next fall it will really feel like we're stepping into a new defensive era. We've definitely been transitioning the last few years but this will be the final change over. Hopefully it will be as kind to us as the the Lebeau era was!

9. aregeejay

aregeejay Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2014
    I just wish they'd play 11 on 11.

10. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I certainly don't know the exact personnel changes that would be needed, but if Tomlin was going to do it, now would be the time. Why would you get rid of the best 3-4 DC of all-time unless you wanted to go to a 4-3?

11. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Now it's time for the youth movement.

Heyward, McClendon, Tuitt
    Jones, Shazier, Timmons, Rookie
    Gay, Allen (maybe a rookie), Sharmarko, Mitchell:facepalm:

12. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    :hijacked: New it would happen sooner or later!:lolol:

13. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I think people are losing sight of the big picture here. its not a scheme thing. its a performance thing. it doesn't matter what you run you have to have results. the only thing tomlin could do unless he wanted to risk his job. a change had to be made

14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Because Rooney told him to? :shrug: Or possibly because he felt he had a suitable replacement already on staff who is more likely to be open to direction (just spitballing here), with a defense that was already in "transition" or "rebuild" or however you want to label it.

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Do you think Rooney makes decisions based on what Tomlin suggests or his mind was made up already?

16. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    I think Rooney "suggest" to Tomlin!

17. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    We don't have any pass rushing DEs. We would be stout against the run but Tuitt, Mc Cullers, McClendon, and Heyward aren't going to get much of a rush and Jones is no way a DE.

18. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    THANK YOU Coach LeBeau!!! A true gentleman and great human being.

You can coach my D anytime sir. Sorry to see you go. Huge mistake!!!!

19. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I am just asking you, but why do you think it was a mistake? I am asking because you are one of the few on here I love to hear the opinion of

20. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    we don't have the pass rushing DEs it requires to get a consistent pass rush in the 4-3. Tuitt, McCullers, McClendon, and Heyward would be great against the rush. Not so much the pass and Jones is no DE.

21. argile2000

argile2000 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    I think about a week or so, I saw/heard/read an interview with Tomlin, to were he says that he now prefers the 3/4 due to the evolution of running quarterbacks, such as Russel Wilson.

22. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This would have to be from Rooney. I don't think Tomlin is allowed to make decisions like that. Not sure how this improves things on D if as many are saying it was more about not having good enough players.

23. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well that actually makes me feel pretty good. But was he actually saying that he did prefer the 4-3 when he got here?

24. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    While I think EVERYONE here is sad to see DL go...some wanted him gone before now others wanted him to stay. He will go down as one of the greatest of all time. And I'd hate to see him with another team, but if it happens not much can be done.

My biggest thing was i think there needed to be some adjusting to his schemes/etc. The constant 10 yard DB cushions, predictable play calling at times, having such a complex system and so on. Yes the current talent on the D isn't what it was 5-6 years ago and yes it is up to the players to perform and so on, but still. And I think those adjustments could have been made with him still being here.

I hope if it is Butler who steps in that he adds something new, gets rid of the crap, simplifies things, and puts HIS stamp on the D. Or do they go the route of bringing someone outside the team in (and potentially some positional coaching shake ups too)? We shall see sooner rather than later!

Thanks again DL/"Coach Dad" (as some called him) for everything...and we'll all miss your "Night Before Christmas" readings, haha!

25. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Thats one thing I've always said...especially with todays passing NFL. Be a hybrid, mix both formations in depending on the situation. I think NE does that at times. Don't lock yourself into just 1 thing all the time. Yes I know you have to have certain players for certain positions in each formation. However a lot of players out there are crossover types that can handle it.