1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Officiating

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_d_curtain, Jan 4, 2015.

1. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    cost us this game. I mean darn it Archi td pass called back cause of a cheap hold? Pig after 14 penalties to 2 and so many non-calls on Baltimore. I guess home field advantage didn't apply in this game I mean I don't know how the rabbit got out but then the horse went after the cow right it's like darkness after all when that happens

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It was bad but DID NOT cost us the game. Our ineptitude did.

3. steel_d_curtain

Dec 20, 2011
    yeah the refs cost us momentum can't hit anymore in this girly leaguer I watched the game two times and the referee kicked us there very hard. Baltimore got a lot of cheap breaks and got away with a lot of not callers

4. Ryan

Ryan Member

Dec 30, 2014
    I didn't care for the officiating, either, but the Steelers were badly outplayed. Blaming the officials takes the focus away from the huge breakdowns on the offensive line and the terrible performance by the defense.

5. steel_d_curtain

Dec 20, 2011
    Sorry I don't care what you all think 130 yards in penalties to 10 when u are at home doesn't cut it. The no calls against Baltimore add another 80 yards of field ok

6. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    The no PI was huge. Yeah, that was a head-scratcher.

7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's actually coached. He was beat so he runs across the guys legs acting like he playing the ball and just happens to trip him up....official has to call that. If he does that let's them know he's watching.

I will bet it happens against Gronk next week as well.

8. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Yeah, the ref actually put his hand on the flag then decided not to throw it. Strange.

9. steel_d_curtain

Dec 20, 2011
    Steelers score a td with over 4 min called back on a cheap hold they would've had 3 timeouts left. The brown td overturned why????????? Stupid call even though they scored still , Harrison being dragged down on flaccid scrambling td pass I could go on and on home teams get these calls nut tonite obviously

10. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    When the Ravens are able to mug our receivers, and know they won't get a call, it hurts us.

When we get called for breathing on their receivers, it hurts us.

When the Ravens can hold with impunity, it hurts us.

But it's not the sum of bad/close calls and non-calls that really hurt. It's that it affects the entire damned game! I don't fault the Ravens for how they play. You would too if you knew you could get away with it. Meanwhile, our D gets further and further on their heels for fear of getting flagged. We can't get to the QB, so we stop even trying.

True, you can still overcome it. But let's not act like it wasn't a factor. (And certain calls that kill momentum or give new life are huge killers)

11. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    the DB grabbed the back of his shoulder pads with his right hand. I thought it was a clear PI. There were also two facemasks I saw from the rats that the refs did not apparently.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Anyone watch the replay on Brown's TD called back? I didn't see the contact that made him down by contact.

13. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    There was no contact That should have been a TD

14. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I didn't see any.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think the key no call in the entire game was the PI on Heath. He clearly had his arm grabbed as he went for the ball - replays cut away just as it happened - and it's rare to see Heath appeal to the refs for anything. That was worse than the non-call on Bryant, and it forced us to punt when a strong drive then would have kept us in the game.

16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yup, and the narrative was how can the Ravens be doing this with all the secondary problems. Next week it will be how they shut down the Steelers pass attack, but Gronk is greater than AB, Bryant, Heath....as Brady rips threw them and Suggs looks like a tired walrus on the sidelines....

17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The zebras had they're marching orders from the Liar to keep us down. Not the only reason they lost this game by any stretch but was a part.

18. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Come on guys
    Foster did hold. It looked like a mugging
    AB landed out of bounds
    Worilds and Mitchell BOTH HAD STUPID DUMB 15 YARDERS CALLED AGAINST THEM
    Make the play and get back in the huddle all players.
    Tomlin needs to put a stop to all that chippy BS
    Bottom line, Baltimore beat us like rented mules point blank.

19. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    The ones I had problems with were the obvious hold on Harrison on the Flacco TD pass (freaking announcers talking about a great recovery when it's clear he grabbed his arm to prevent Flacco getting sacked) and then having a TD called back on exactly the same play, with the announcers calling it an obvious hold. We didn't lose because of the officiating, but thats 11 points right there.

20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The officiating was horrible. Watch the PI call against us. Their receiver grabbed our DB and pulled him into him. The Steelers had some dumb penalties but several others I couldn't believe were being called.

Here's my head scratcher though. Why was Jim Harbough allowed on their sideline?

21. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Why wouldn't he be?

He's no longer an NFL coach. Teams are allowed to have guests.

22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Oh I don't know. I guess it's ok to have 2 SB winning coaches discussing what they see during the game and making halftime adjustments together. Maybe the Steelers should have invited Bill Cowher and Hines Ward to their halftime discussions. Have a couple extra set of eyes to help out.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The officiating was terrible and was unevenly called but you have to play through that, we couldn't because we sucked so bad last night and missing a huge weapon didn't help either.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I saw holding on us multiple times that wasn't called. It may have been horrible, but it was horrible both ways.

25. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I assume you're referring to the one at the goal line where he dove in, and not the one where he was pushed out.

His knee was down prior to the ball breaking the plane of the goal line. Has nothing to do with contact. The other he didn't get his second foot down inbounds.

Both correct calls, unfortunately for us.