1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell says playing on knee won't hurt it further.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan Member

Dec 30, 2014
    One small problem with that idea. Tate really isn't a very good blocker in pass protection.

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah he is hence why he was third down back his first three years in the league.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not a Dr, but I did stay at the Holiday Inn
    Be cautious with this superstar.we will need him
    immensely out in Denver.

4. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011

Boom!

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And common sense states he has a hyper extension of the knee of some sort . I am not acting like a genius just simply stating I have never seen a RB come back from that in 6 days , that's a fact .

So even if the doctor clears him Coach T stated he must be able to protect him self on the field . So for me to draw the conclusion he wont be able to prove that to the coach is not a far stretch .Again I have never seen any RB do that in 6 days and until I do , there is no way I believe he will or he should play .

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Good to hear you have a good sports back ground and if I need some baseball advice you sound like a very solid source . Sorry if you feel I come off as a super genius want to be . I don't really care if you like my view or not that is the beauty of life . You have a view on this situation and I respect your opinion that you think Bell has a chance to play.

My opinion is Bell has almost a zero chance to be ready on such short notice . Guess who else has opinions on this situation Bell his Doctor and Coach Tomlin. None of those opinions will prove correct until game time . At that point a smart Coach will have little to no choice but to sit his star player if he has not proven he can be the RB he was before he hyper extended his knee . Always a light day or walk thru the Day before the game so there is really no time left for Bell to show he can plant ,cut, or explode off that leg..

As Coach T said the tour D France is great ,but there will be no Bikes on the field . Even you have to admit that Protect yourself on a Football field , would mean taking hits and making Football moves . This is the last day of the week he will have to show that .

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I would be more surprised if there weren't mixed messages from Bell, the team and the doctors all week. Remember Pouncey in our last superbowl?

8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    This discussion is interesting, but misses the point of Bell's statement entirely.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    You're entitled to your opinion. I'd be surprised if he plays, too.

I have no earthly idea why anyone would get bent out of shape about someone giving their opinion about a player's injury. What purpose does it serve to state that they don't have access to their medical records? I think it's safe to assume that no one here has access to his medical records. :roflmao:

10. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I watched six of his games yesterday. 2 from 2013, 2 from 2012, and 2 from 2010. I didn't see any pass protection issues, though my sample size was fairly small. I'll keep looking today. He did a solid job picking up a couple blitzes, but I wouldn't expect him to just walk on to a new team and do the same.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That's good to hear. However, whether or not he has the skill to pass protect, I think it may be tough for him to absorb all of the various protection calls in a few days. Let's hope he can, because I think he will be seeing some meaningful snaps Saturday.

12. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'll be surprised if he plays. If he does play how effective will he be coming off a shorter week? He definitely won't be at 100% if he plays. Can he be the same player?

The psychological aspect of the injury will be probably be present for Bell until next season. At this point, there is no amount of medical science that can determine if Bell will be ready. Everyone heals at different rates. There is a chance that Bell can make the injury worse if hit in the same knee or injure a different part of his body attempting to compensate for the injury he has. Make no mistake, players will target his knee if they have the opportunity.

13. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Of course but isn't the issue that some are objecting to passing off opinion as fact?

I don't think anyone really expects him to play but equally nobody can be certain he won't.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm not sure why that would be. Everyone knows it's their opinion.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not really . Some are using facts to pass off their opinion .lol Just trying to keep people from having false hope . No ones opinion is a fact that is the beauty of an opinion , but as a friend to this board and as a good and decent person in general it would be wrong of me not to share my experience in this situation .

My last reply on this thread , but if you guys are betting Men do yourselves a favor and don't bet on Bell playing . Heck I am as huge a Steelers fan as the next guy and of course I would love for him to be able to play , just my experience paints a different picture that's all I am saying.

16. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That surprises me because he is a pretty dang big guy. Also I'm sure he is absolutely a better blocker than Dri just by default. Dri looks like a Smurf compared to most of the guys on the rats front 7.

17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree, some people just get too offensive for my taste. Please, please, respect everybody's opinion and not be stupid.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm feeling a lot of pressure here.

19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I saw this thing once that said "With all the things you can be on the internet it is amazing that so many people choose to be stupid." LOL!

20. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    amazingly stupid :huh:

:smiley1:

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There are no stupid questions. But there are stupid people who are very inquisitive.

22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sounds like Bell may actually give it a go.

"I didn't expect to be feeling this well this early," Bell said after the Steelers' first practice of the week. "When [the injury] happened, so many thoughts went through my head. It was scary. It was more scary than anything. I feel great. If I can do more [Thursday] I'm going to try."
    http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?stor...gO7565VBedfWRelFO8dL5ueYEkqA7j9vyoVKAXg&s=1"}

23. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah that's the last paragraph from my original post in this thread. We should be hearing something from today pretty soon.

25. Ryan

Ryan Member

Dec 30, 2014
    I've heard mixed things, at best, about Tate in pass protection and I doubt he would understand the system well enough to play a huge role. I still think their best option is to use Johnson on passing downs. Sure, he's not much of a threat to run, but he can block and he is a converted receiver, so he can be useful as a receiver.

I'm sure Tate is better in protection than Archer, but that is faint praise indeed.