1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Seriously, would you...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bleedsteel, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Start Troy, or Taylor, if they are healthy???

If I was Coach T, I wouldn`t mess with what has worked.

I love Troy with all my heart, but he hasn`t been the same this year, and Ike hasn`t either.

If you look at the games, we are doing better without them.

Who thinks we should put either of them back in Saturday, if they are healthy, and why?

GO STEELERS!!!

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I know I'm in the minority here, but if Troy's 100% healthy, I want him in the game. He hasn't been nearly as bad this season as some would make it seem. I would not mess with the cornerback line up right now.

3. Ryan

Ryan Member

Dec 30, 2014
    I have to disagree on Polamalu. Ed Bouchette has said the Steelers are a much better defense when Polamalu is out and I think he is absolutely right about that. Polamalu used to get away with his freelancing because he had the speed to make it work. Now he does not, but he still takes too many chances. Allen is the better player now. He makes plays and he is in position far more often.

I don't see any reason to trust Polamalu or Taylor any more.

4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    He seems out of place far too often lately for my tastes. Slow to the spot, and taking bad gambles trying to overcompensate.

Now, the question is, why? Is it because he's too old and slow? I mean, he is, but no necessarily enough to make him a bad player. Or was it the rest of the secondary? If it's the latter, then he should be OK now.

But I'd keep a short hook...

5. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:

6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree with Ed and agree with you!

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm with you Chief. Even in spot duty I think Troy makes a big play, as I said on Sunday night I think it was. Troy is a Raven Killer he makes big plays during the big games against them. I don't care if you deactivate some ST and make someone cover kickoffs and punts but if Troy is 100% get him in the game somehow. He has one last miracle to show us and then we nominate him for Sainthood.

8. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    A good question. I'm not 100% convinced Troy is "done", so if he's ready to go - suit him up. He still gives the opp QB's something to plan for. As for Ike, he gives them something to plan for as well - throw it his way whenever possible.

Troy - yes.
    Ike - ugh. Never again please.

9. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd play Troy, but not as a traditional Safety. I think putting him in for an ILB not named Timmons on suspected passing downs could help. He has lost a step, but he still has great instincts.

10. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    :this!: I still think Taz has plenty to offer, "Hands of stone" not so much!!!!

11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I would sit both Taylor and Troy. No need for either of them to be in the game. Blake and McCain and Mitchell should be able to get the job done. I am actually very surprised the defense has improved since Troy has been out on the field.. Ike is done.

12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm hoping that Troy is treating his injuries with some deer antler spray....come in (situationally) for this playoff run and go out with a superbowl victory.

13. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As much as I love both Troy and Ike I would say go with what has been working. If Troy were to play I would almost move him to a LB type position in passing downs to cover the TE and take a LB off the field like Shazier. I would stick with the secondary right now. Not unstoppable by any means but definitely playing above the line right now...

14. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Last i heard Troy is getting paid to play...if healthy he should be given the hat. Think we all can agree he's no longer a Argentina Apollo but he can and still makes sporadic plays. He's always played the Rats hard, thinking he'd make a desent contribution.

15. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I will be that minority with you. Troy is still a play maker and we certainly have an advantage when he plays.

Really??!! You don't trust them? Did they steal something at your house?

I get it... You don't trust their abilities... I never did with Ike. But as far as Troy is concerned. He is enough of a professional to bring everything he can, meaning he plays all out. Even if his body is a bit slower, he is still a smart enough player to make up for it.

If--and I am saying IF--he doesn't have to watch the deep field (and can trust who is back there..Please don't let it be Ike) I believe we will see Troy play at a level that we haven't seen in a long time.

And if he's healthy- we win the SB. and he will retire; which will make all you haters (or mildly dislikers) happy.

16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Nobody hates Troy, so those who are saying such things need to get off their high horse. The Steelers come before any individual player. I want to win the SB, I don't want to reward a washed up player with one more game because he gave his all to the team in past years. The goal is to win games, not be loyal to individual players who don't help us win games.

Troy hasn't been a playmaker all year long. He has a total of 0 sacks, 0 INT's, 1 forced fumble and 1 pass defence. How exactly is he still a playmaker if he has hardly made a single play all year long other than a relatively small number of tackles? His numbers nor his play support him still being called a playmaker.

Troy is one of my favourite players of all time, but when your time is up your time is up. Mario Lemieux is my favourite player ever, of any sport, yet I don't want to see him suit up for the Penguins again.

Ike shouldn't even be a part of the conversation. The guy is beyond finished. He is a huge liability when out there. That was obvious the last time he played

17. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Look, I love Troy as much as anybody, but have you been watching him play this season (and last)? He is a major reason why the Steelers have been prone to give up huge plays over the last couple of seasons. The fact is that Troy's mind still leads him to believe that he can do super human things like he used to. He doesn't have it in him to sit back, take care of his assignment and cover his zone. He wants to do something spectacular EVERY SINGLE PLAY! That's the Troy we've all come to know and love but, sadly, that Troy is gone forever. This doesn't make me happy, but our defense is a better defense right now with Will Allen at safety. He's a smart, fundamentally sound safety who won't do anything spectacular, but also won't compromise his zone or assignment and give up the big play.

Sorry, but that's just reality and the results the last few games are bearing that out. :-(

18. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    respectfully agree to disagree.

I have watched him and I agree that he hasn't been his old self, but the guys around him haven't been the defensive players that he used to not need to cover up for.

If Troy plays- we will see him be great these last games. And he will retire.

19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    While I HOPE you're right, I THINK you're wrong. Appreciate that we can disagree without being disagreeable. :)

20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I think that Troy was a victim of the struggling defense around him, which caused much of his perceived bad play this year.

21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    He was a major part of that struggling defense. Geez, it's almost like its sacreligious to say anything negative about Troy on this board. Troy was a victim? Really TTF? It could also be said that the rest of the secondary was victimized by Troy's freelancing. I know that's not a popular opinion, but I think it's true. I've seen an improvement in Mike Mitchell's play since Troy has been out.

At any rate, it doesn't sound like Tomlin is committed to putting him back on the field. The secondary has been playing well and, hopefully, Tomlin won't rock the boat.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-o...ers-sit-a-healthy-troy-polamalu-vs-the-ravens

22. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011

:this!: Some "old" guys ain't ready for the pasture yet!

23. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Seriously? You make it sound like someone attacked you personally for your opinion, Jack. I believe it is the popular opinion that Troy is no good, washed up, etc.

24. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If they are 100% healthy I still wouldn't start either of them but would have them suited up for situational playcalling and they both would see the field at some point during the game. They still can be effective in having the Rats try and game plan around them. I think both are more of an asset rather than a liability to this team.

How many people thought that Harrison was too old and too slow to help us this season and yet he has made an impact.

25. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't think anybody attacked anybody personally, I'm just basing my comment on what I've read. There are those, like you apparently, that believe Troy is the real victim here. For whatever reason, it's not acknowledged that his skills are diminishing and he may be compromising the defensive scheme by doing what Troy has always been allowed to do, freelance. It's also been stated by others on this board that it's somehow disrespectful to say something negative about Troy and Ike. That's where my "sacreligious" comment above came from.

I've said it before, Troy is a warrior and warriors don't know when to say when. They are always fighting even when they don't have the strength they once did. Warriors don't retire, they die in the midst of a heated battle because they refuse to give up. Troy cannot, I repeat, cannot play safety the way an ordinary, run of the mill safety plays safety. He just can't, TTF. When he's on the field he will be trying to achieve the spectacular. THAT is the Troy we all know and love. But that is also the Troy that's put the defense in compromising positions over the last two seasons allowing big play after big play. I really think Troy will retire after this year because he can't be Troy any longer. He's not Will Allen, solid yet unspectacular. Will Allen is what the defense needs right now. Disciplined, smart, dependable. It's obviously paying off on the field.

I feel bad for even saying these things about Troy but I absolutely believe they're true. Troy is not a "victim". Troy is a warrior and that is part of the problem.