1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Game plan vs. the Rats

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Dec 29, 2014.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not sure we could have ran the ball on the Rats if Bell was in . As most have eluded to there is really no way he will be ready to go Saturday night. With that said we need to turn this game over to Ben and the WR'S .

Brown is playing great and drawing double coverage and Bryant and Wheaton have came a long way . We will need to get out of the protection sets and just go straight 5 WR sets . Spread them out insert Moore and DHB and roll with it .

Neither Harris or Archer are good enough to protect Ben . We will be better suited to spread the Rats out wide to give Ben more room while in the Gun. The set I would love to see is a Trips Wide stacked 2 WR set .Put Wheaton, DHB , and Moore in the trips wide .This would give us great screen options and a deep threat as well as a good zone reading WR on that side.

On the other side would be Brown and Bryant and I would stack them with Brown in the back if they play loose then throw quick hitters to Brown just like a run or punt return. If they play it tight then use the speed of Bryant to take the top of the Defense ,and use Brown running routes right behind it.

To give us a form of a running game from this set I would employ the Jet sweep to DHB going 1 way or Brown running to the trips side , also would have the fake jet sweep with swing passes to Brown as well as combo routes off the Fake Jet with a true overload to that side . Simply keep flipping the sets and keep the Rats dazed and confused while Ben throws quick darts to negate the Blitz .

This approach would force the Rats to go nickel or dime and I don't think they can possibly match up .

2. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think Haley is stuck with one game plan so I think he'll be able to come up with some creative ways make it work. Bill Walsh won his first Super Bowl with Ricky Patton at RB by using the short passing game and periodic draws and quick hitters.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Some 5 WR sets may be a good idea, but I wouldn't go there as a base scheme. I wouldn't want to take Heath out of the game al that much because he can help significantly as both a receiver and pass protector. I also think we need to have the threat of the running game regardless of whether Bell is the back. Early in the game on 1st down go 11 personnel with a run/pass check with me call based on whether they are loading the box or laying back in coverage. Adjust 1st down calls later in the game based on how those plays turn out. Also, run some power right at Dumerville. He's a heck of a pass rusher, but pretty beatable on the edge in run defense. Ultimately I see 40+ called pass plays being necessary, but if we just sell out with 5 wides all game it makes things too easy on the Rats to get into a comfortable personnel package that bends without breaking. I think we'd see a few failed drives in the red zone as a result.

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I see your point about Miller and I really like his play . Just watching the Ravens and the times they destroy Ben it is from there base set. Leaving Miller and our other TE'S in allows them to play in that base set and T off Ngnata and Suggs . The approach above will take Ngnata off the field and get Suggs out away from Ben.

IMO the more tight sets we run the more chance the Rats have to win . Don't give them those strip sack chances, play pitch and catch and make them run with our Speed. Our Team speed at WR is the best in the NFL , turn it loose .

5. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Still need the Ravens to respect the running game, otherwise Dumerville and Suggs will be in the backfield all day.

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly the point of the Jet sweep. They get caught looking in and boom a big play .They are not going to respect a running game if Bell is not on the field , they will blitz and blitz and blitz . Use the Jet game attack them wide force them to stay away from Ben...

7. BigSteel

BigSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Looks like we can defend the deep ball now... Can't wait to see what flacs try this time around

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    1. Control Suggs and the rest of the Ravens D. Keep Ben upright.
    2. Don't be afraid to run, we have one of the best Offensive lines in the NFL right now, let them make holes. Josh Harris should be able to do a little bit, even with bell out.
    3. Use 3-4 wide out packages spread the field. Let Brown have the short routes, let him do his thing. Others will get open.
    4. Heath Miller in the backfield for shotgun, wouldn't be a bad idea for blitz pickup and a good check down guy, should Bell not be able to play.
    5.Keep the defense of turnovers coming. It wins you ball games. In turn don't commit them.

9. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I would love to see us do this. Please please try to run the ball even if Bell doesn't play. The Raisins are going to remember the last game and no way do they let Ben & Co. have their way again.

10. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    You could always go 4 wide + Heath and motion Heath in the backfield if extra pass protection is needed. Him or Johnson would be our best backfield pass protection options right now.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Sometime yes. However, we need to be multiple on offense. Simply saying "we're going to do X all day" will not work for 60 minutes. Also, your 5 wide approach allows for 1v1 match ups all day with Suggs/Dumerville and Beachum/Gilbert. You don't think that will lead to any big sacks? They need help on occasion and opportunities to push forward in run blocking to help wear the defenders out, or they will wear out from being on islands all day.

12. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think Harris can play well enough to at least keep the Ravens honest, so we should stay as close to our base package as possible, as if LeVeon is still in there.

Bell, Blount*, Harris, Archer, or whoever we have (*had) in the backfield, we won't win the game unless Ben plays well. Obviously Bell gives us the most help from the RB position, but this game, and the playoffs, hinge on how well Ben plays.

If we lose, it won't be because Bell isn't playing.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Your spot on,we need Ben to be on point. Also a combination on some of these strategies is the way to go. We have to dictate the way the game is gonna go. Our best chance is multiple sets to leave them confused but we must be able to execute them ourselves. Mistake free and Ben playing well will get it done. Any chance J Brown gets a helmet this week maybe instead of DHB or Moore ,sorry PWP. He would give us a bigger target and better blocking which might be huge in this game. Also any chance Geathers has shown anywhere near enough to replace Cam Thomas ,shouldn't take much he would at least give us someone to spell Heyward or Tuitt for a couple of snaps ,Thomas is basically useless.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    DHB?

15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Flacco's deep pass still scares the bejesus out of me and trust me he's going to go deep at least 5 times this upcoming game. Say what you will about Joe Flacco but you cannot say he isn't pure deep threat every time he takes the field.

16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    In the Nov 2 game against Balt - we had 55 total rushing yds - Bell had 58 total yds (20 rush, 38 rec). Blount had 23 yds rush and 0 yds rec. Brown, Bryant and Wheaton had nearly 250 yds receiving with AB leading the pack with 144 yds. Conclusion, if there was a perfect game for Bell to miss, this rematch might be the one. Plus, Suggs and Ngata can't injure Bell any worse than he already is. Let him sit. A hidden stat - to no surprise W Johnson has 0 yds rushing on 2 attempts. Is there a way to use him at RB to mix it up with Harris and Archer? He's had some nice short runs after catches this year - can he rush at all?

17. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yeah our safeties have to stay deep this game. They love to throw it long and play the odds, and a lot of times it works in their favor as defensive interference. Our corners need to stay hands-off and trust that the safety help is over top.

18. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    You're right. Pass interference penalties are a big part of the Ravens offense.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  20. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I think I would just go ahead and take the 15 yarder and jack Joe right up and out of the game 1st series

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I like your thinkin. :thumbs_up::cool:

22. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Continue to try and run the ball.
    Just read some history on Harris, he can rip out some long runs.

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/12/replacing-leveon-bell-pass-protection/

Check out #1 in this article . The part that DHB could and should absolutely fill is the run 1 WR deep part . I never said they should look to throw the ball to DHB . Simply use him to open up other guys by running him deep. If they bracket Brown and bracket DHB and we are in a 5 WR set that's 4 guys accounted for leaving only 7. Now if you man up on the other 3 WR'S that leaves only 4 guys to rush Ben. If they want to send 5 then the CB has DHB 1 on 1 meaning he must give him a huge cushion , which creates more space for the other WR'S to work in...

Now if the Rats want to blitz and send 6 then it's 5 on 5 and you run DHB deep and Brown,Bryant,Wheaton, and Moore all are 1 on 1 they will have a field day ....The more tape I watch the more I am sure we should spread them out . We have all the advantages .

24. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
  25. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I've read before that sometimes Suisham is told to kickoff short.....please please ...puy it out of the endzone every friggin time this game