1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Not drafting CB'S is why we see what we do now

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Nov 30, 2014.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ike came back and he got toasted, Gay also gave up big plays to the TE and missed multiple tackles .....How can we expect to win with #3 and #4 CB'S playing at the #1 and #2 spots ...This Team has no choice but go to a 4 man front and stop blitzing....

We have so little talent at CB we can't waste 1 extra guy running at the QB ..If we intend to make a run we best put our best 4 pass rushers on the DL and go from there .....Any good QB in the league will torch Ike or Gay if in man coverage with no help....And for the love of god make Troy and Mitchell play the Safety spot like a High School kid......Practice should sound like nobody behind you !!!!! Get deeper than the Deepest !!!!! Get more Depth !!!!! Play Center field !!!!

Neither of these guys should make 1 run stop unless it's 20 yards down the field ...

2. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I wonder what happen to the pass rush. If we had a pass rush taylor or gay would not have gotten burn. I agree that we need corners and should of drafted at least two last year high. We need at least two next year.

3. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    CB play is way down the list, of why we lost.

1. Ben
    2. Ben
    3. WR's not fighting for ball - either catches, or drawing penalties. AAAAaaaarrrrggghhh! Wheaton never gives effort, hopefully Bryant learns to go for the ball.
    4. I remember 1 sack
    5. Ben

4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    True Ben didn't have his best game but common! How many dropped passes? From everybody! Corners are way down on the list? Guess I was watching a different game. Brees had 5 TD passes. 3 of those are at the feet of the Rooney's wonder boy Ike "Toast" Taylor. He can take on the best receiver was 5 years ago. This secondary is the weakest link on the Defense, then you can point at the rest. Time for a different direction, a fresh approach after this season.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i think we have the worst secondary in the league

6. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    How about adding Mike Adams to the list. Worst tackle I have seen play for the Steelers in 50 plus tears...:facepalm:

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have gone into the last 3 drafts thinking for sure we would pick a CB high.

It is not just CB's though... Our safeties are not great either. Troy is just too old. And if Shamarko is the replacement I would think we would have seen it by now.

I think Mitchell would look better next to a young safety who has speed to cover ground.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ben sucked today. ike needs to be back on the bench. I can't believe I'm saying this but McCain going down hurt us. where the heck and why in the he** is bw webb not dressing and playing at least some? cam Thomas sucks donkey behinds. mike adams and gilbert still stink, let's cut some more of our draft pick O linemen. losing two promising DE's. old players still in critical roles. mid to low level FA's not worth their salt. many subpar players signed to long and for too much money. most of this points to one guy. thanks kev. that's all I'm going to say about that. run forest run.:cool:

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I feel the same about McCain. When he went down the defense absolutely changed.

10. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Should have cut Ike before we lost Kenaan Lewis and used the money to sign him.

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That's harsh, but true. Steelers tried to keep the band together for one last rodeo, but it didn't work out.

12. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    Taylor, Polomalu, Harrison and Kiesel will all be gone next year. :facepalm:

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    since there will be a lot of new defensive players i hope we bring a fresh mind def cord that can develop them quicker

14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    It's ok don't cry lol

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think this is getting overlooked. McCain and Blake are developing. Just not getting too much support from their team-mates.

We're missing Ryan Clark in the secondary - we missed him last season too, when he was playing badly - and we need Shamarko back on the field.

And we know our DBs are not good enough to cover for long, so why not blitz more?

16. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree, we blitz the Colts from the word go and we have stop doing it since. We should of blitz Vick two weeks ago and played tight man to man like we did against the Jets. It's like we try to out think ourselves. If it works why chance.

We were using the no huddle and it was working, what did we do the following week, scratch it and start being conservative. It's like we play aggressive against the elite teams and conservative with the weak teams.

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I think the reason we don't blitz more is because our linebackers are just too slow or weak to get to the qb. It actually hurts my hands to even type that but it is looking more and more to be the case. Then Keisel has a free shot at Brees yesterday and STILL can't seal the deal! Man it is maddening to watch because we have become so accustomed to striking fear in the opposing qbs hearts and minds. We just don't have that intimidation factor going for us anymore.

18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    agree

19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Me too. But I admit that I actually wanted Dennard and apparently he has done nothing. Fuller would have been the best but wasn't he gone right before we picked? He has played well and he is on a horrible defense.

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I get what you are saying but man I'd rather die trying than to expect our DBs to cover. I don't know I watch a fair amount of football and I hardly ever recall seeing CBs left on a island like ours are each and every week. I don't get it can someone ask Lebeau why our safeties are never deep and in position to make a play on the ball. We are playing with 2 SS when our CBs are such a liability. I just don't get it. If you are going to leave them out there alone at least give ve them a fighting chance in bump and run. It's a much harder throw for the QB than pitch and catch. So frustrating.....I betcha the Steeler fan base has less hair on their heads than any other.

21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Truth...

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I was watching NFL Playbook the other day and they were breaking down how we blitz now and they were saying that we don't rely on traditional blitzes anymore because we don't have very skilled pass rushers. They were saying that we have to really rely on disguises a lot more than we used to and it really made it seem like our blitzes are sorta gimmicky. I've not checked our sack numbers this year but I'd say it's a whole lot smaller than we are used to and the numbers have been on a downward trend for a while now. I'm not saying I oppose blitzing but was just say the reason why I don't think we do it as much anymore.

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    But MT has no say in FA aquisition, in drafting,
    in PLAYER DEVELOPEMENT? How's come MT always gets a pass?
    I would like to see a clean sweep. Sure I know it will never happen,
    but I can hope.Where is the leadership?

24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    In what world does MT get a pass? A pass from who?

25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Dennard was a poor fit for us. Fuller on the other hand would have been great,but he was drafted one pick too soon.