1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dri archer A poor man's Darren Sproles

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Real steel, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Real steel

Real steel Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I'm Why can't our trip be more like Darren Sproles

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I would kill to have Darren Sproles. He is one of the greatest "role players" of all time.

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Good thing the Chargers got rid of THAT guy! Wasted roster space.:rolleyes:

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Man my buddy was infuriated when they did that. Apparently Drew Brees wasn't happy with the Saints for doing it either. He is incredibly explosive. I can't believe Payton would let him walk.

5. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    You mean a broke Darren Sproles, right?

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My friend Dri Archer is not even on the same planet as Darren Sproles. When Dri has the achievements that Sproles has over his career
    then we can start comparing, Lets try these Chris Rainey, Dexter Mccluster. A 3rd round luxury pick
    we could not afford.CB, CB,CB!

7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The Wiz would find a way to use Dri Archer. You have to be a creative mind as an off. coordinator

8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Could have took that 3rd. rd. pick and made a move up in round 1 ....Is why I don't really like Colbert ,when you have a terrible set of CB'S for years in a passing league and do nothing aggressive to fix it you don't need to be making the picks...

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it was a comp pick and couldn't be traded. it was an after the 3rd round pick. :cool:

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not going to claim that he's on Sproles' level, but let's be fair and make sure we're comparing like for like.

In his first year in the league, Sproles played 15 games. He ran 8 times for 50 yards and 0 TDs. He caught 3 balls for 10 yards and 0 TDs.

In his first year in the league so far, Archer has this season run the ball 8 times for 41 yards. He's caught 4 balls for 9 yards. And, as we know, 0 TDs.

EDIT: Sproles also fumbled 3 times in his rookie year, which Archer is yet to do (I'm not sure that will last all season...).

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You stop that logic right now :rules:

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    dri will be fine. I still like the pick.:cool:

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Seriously. How many times have we heard, oh this guys no good, that guys no good. Im not saying some of you might not end up being right , but you have to give the guy a chance. I am still on board. I liked the pick then and I'm not ready to give up yet. He is a specialty type role player who hasn't been given many opportunities yet. The good thing is that we have plenty of firepower as is ,we just need to find a way to be more consistant. I have heard good things about his character and work ethic , so hopefully its just a matter of time.

14. Tarrytown Steeler

Tarrytown Steeler Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think its a terrible "Sleeper" Pick in the 3rd round. As you can see from our D play, we need a pass rush, CB, and a S.

Besides, Haley has no idea how to use this guy anyways.

15. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I vote to rename this thread either (a) Dri Archer - A Poor Man or (b) Dri Archer - A Poor Man's Chris Rainey

Seriously though, the comparison above to Sproles rookie year is a good one. We can't call this a bust pick until we see what he does the rest of the season and next. My biggest problem with the pick is there was so much need at CB. Also I think he is too small and goes down too easily.

One thing though, what is the point of having Blount or Wheaton return kickoffs, I mean this is one of the main reasons you got the guy and you are taking it a way from him. What is the big difference of starting at the 19 vs. maybe the 25. If you really think the guy can break one for you then let him return the kickoffs.

16. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wheaton you can see why he is returning kicks. He did a lot of that in college and was very successful. I would rather have Wheaton and Archer back there since they seem to hit the hole faster and the key with kickoffs are getting as much as quickly as you can. I think Wheaton has the longest kickoff return for the Steelers this year at just over 30 yds...

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Really I would like to see Dri do well,
    but going into the draft and the players that were already on the roster,I saw there would be a problem with just not enough footballs to go around.Being that we all believe that we have problems at the cb position couldn't we have spent that pick on a cb?

18. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Lets give Dri this year to get use to the league

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Do they need a damn year to figure out what Archers role in this offense should be, I dont think saints coach sean peyton would need a year to fit him into his offense....Which brings up another point, when the saints let Moore go and we signed him for a slot receiver, and you all was giddy over signing him, he hasnt dont diddly squat so far.....

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    That's a separate point to allowing him to adjust to the pace of the game at pro level. When Peyton signed Sproles, he knew exactly what he was getting. We're not in that position with a rookie.

The two things are kind of symbiotic - the better Archer is used, the better we will be able to see where his skill levels are. The better his skill levels, the better he can be used.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Archer has already matched Sproles production in his first year and Archer still has 6 games left.