1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Santonio

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelTerp, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Looks good on him and his bed buddy Plaxico .. I bet Plax is glad he chose the jets over Pitts :roflmao:

2. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012

Well, if you want to go back further - long after Unitas:

After a disappointing end to the 1977 season, the Steelers cleaned house and got rid of a half dozen guys from their first 2 Super Bowl teams.

I bring this up due to my avatar, friend and handle Jim Allen. Jimmy went to Detroit and had four very good seasons, leading the team in INT all 4 years including 9 in 1981.
    The Steelers also got rid of Glen Edwards who went to the Chargers and was their leading interceptor during the Air Coryell years.

The worse loss of all was Frank Lewis, who had some incredible plays in the post season but was stuck behind 2 HOF WR. He went to Buffalo and became their best reciever in the early 1980s when the Bills went to the playoff several years.

In addition, the Steelers lost DB Dave Brown in the 1976 expansion draft. When Brown ended up retiring 13 years later, he was a two time All Pro and the 7th leading interceptor in NFL history.

Now, they won Super Bowls in 78-79 of course, but all 4 of these guys would have helped when age and injuries hit the team in 1980-1981.

Dwaine Board and Brent Jones were 2 guys who were key parts of the 49ers Super Bowl years, and both were Steelers property originally, cut before they could make the team.

Getting back to the present, I am one who will always give Santonio a free pass. He won a Super Bowl game for the team, and for that he should and will be remembered.

I would disagree about Woodson- he was still very good after he left the Steelers, but never as good as he was from say, 1990-1994.

And I agree with the original quote- the Steelers, especially in recent years, really seem to know when to hold them and when to fold them. Would any team in the NFL trade Antonio for Santonio right now? Not a chance.

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    and with us too

4. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    im glad he chose the Jets because where would Brown be if we Signed Plax

5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Don't make me sad. Bit*h don't play here no more.[/quote:19yrdne3]
    :goodpost:
    Yes!!!!

6. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    JimmyAllen45...

Great post! Thanks for the perspective and trip down memory lane. I'd forgotten about many of the moves you mentioned. We've had the same core group of players for so long. Your post reminded me that this won't be the first time we've had to re-load.

...Black Hat :hello:

7. jimmyallen45

Jan 1, 2012
    [/quote]

JimmyAllen45...

Great post! Thanks for the perspective and trip down memory lane. I'd forgotten about many of the moves you mentioned. We've had the same core group of players for so long. Your post reminded me that this won't be the first time we've had to re-load.

...Black Hat :hello:[/quote]

no prob, as I said in my initial intro email, I consider myself a sort of Steelers historian and whenever I get the chance to go down memory lane, I am off on the trip!

The 70s Steelers were many things, and among them was deep. Consider the 75 team, which I consider the greatest.

The four starting DBs, Mel Blount, Glen Edwards, Mike Wagner, and JT Thomas, all were Pro Bowlers at one time or another- in fact they went as a unit in 1976.

The three backups, Jimmy Allen, Dave Brown, and Donnie Shell, would have a combined career total of 141 interceptions.

And these guys were the BACKUPS.

8. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

true , I just hope he's shooting himself for going there, but ya he did Brown a huge favour.

9. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    SHOOTING HIM SELF :roflmao:

10. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Here's a good article about Jimmy Allen. Sad ending kinda story. http://www.profootballresearchers.org/Coffin_Corner/26-05-1042.pdf

11. jimmyallen45

Jan 1, 2012

Steeler JJ-

thanks for calling this a good article- as I am the person who wrote it!!

Since that time, I've gotten to know Jimmy personally. He's off the streets, getting his pension from the NFL, and doing much, much better. It's a real success story. I have not talked to him for about 6 months but hope to talk to him soon, and am also in contact with his niece.

The truly sad part was that his wife Cora, who was my main source for the article at the time, passed away suddenly from an aneurysm about 3 years ago.

One thing Jimmy told me is about those 70s Steelers teams- was that they always pulled together and stayed together as a team. Whatever personal differences guys on the team might have had, were absolutely buried under the main goal of winning.

12. 43FOLyfe!

43FOLyfe! Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    They are both out smoking a doobie with each other (Holmes & Plax). Hope Plax didn't bring a piece!!!

Glad we are rid of these 2 cancers!!!

13. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Woodson also changed his position after he left Pittsburgh, which IIRC was one of the reasons he left, a desire not to be and be payed like a safety.

14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Both ryan brothers write checks that their teams can't cash.