1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

what are we doing differently the past 2 weeks?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers_liu, Nov 3, 2014.

1. steelers_liu

steelers_liu Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    what has the coaching staff done to turn this team completely around? Is it just the players' attitude? adding james harrison the turnaround? have we found the right combination of old and young talents? it's like another team now. but it's all good.

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The main things are the benching of Cortez Allen , the addition of Bryant as a WR , the use of DHB in the WR 3 sets to give other guys more space , Ben studying more film , Ben going through progressions faster , Ben hitting the check down quicker , Bell exploiting mismatches in the passing game...

A few other notes I have made is the Coaches ,coaching aggressive ,the play designs of Haley are getting border line Guru . Coach DL sending more blitzes,stunts, and all around pressure...

So as Coach T would say we are a Team on the build ...All things are starting to come together ,better play from the players and better Coaching from the Coaches ,,,,Nothing Mystical about it ....lol

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Combination of things. Bryant, gives them a big threat opposite AB, many felt he was a 1st or 2nd round talent.

JH and Beard, taking charge and showing how to run DL's defense.

And just time. You are very rarely the team you are when you start the season. The pieces are finally figuring it out and coming together.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't know about you guys and girls but I'm eating a hearty breakfast on Sunday mornings and that seems to help.

5. cork

cork Active Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I changed my brand of beer and went back to real hot sausage instead of turkey sausage.

6. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Well they played good teams the past 2 weeks, and they do seem to play up to competition well. We also finally realized that we score points when we throw down the field instead of trying to establish the run. Pressure on the QB has been much more solid on defense too.

7. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Hate to take to much credit but....I switched to the middle seat on my couch and that seems to have made all of the difference. I should have guess the ends seats were unlucky after the Browns thrashing.

8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I did not want to mention this but I never had a drink last night while watching the game. That might have been the defining difference

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Discipline,execution,personnel and better use of that personnel. Along with that we have a better attitude,motivation and the biggest thing we seemed to be lacking....resolve. Add that all up plus probably a few other details like better practice habits and paying more attention to detail and you have where we are right now. The players as well as the coaches seem to finally be on the same page.We are playing like the hunter and not the hunted. If we keep our focus at a high level ,for the first time in a while Ben might be right "the skies the limit."

10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    1. Improved pass rush. This has given us more turnovers and shorter fields for the offense.
    2. Martavis Bryant. He has really opened up our offense and given us a great target in the red zone.
    3. Confidence. The Houston game gave us a jolt, then the flood gates opened vs Indy. We have a feeling that the only people who can stop us is ourselves, and it's showing on the field.
    4. Improved corner play. Blake and McCain have really stepped up when we needed them the most. We don't have the two guys pegged as our top 2 corners at the beginning of the season (Ike to injury, and Allen to bench), and we've only gotten better. Great to see.

11. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    this :thumbs_up:

12. steelers_liu

steelers_liu Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    is it the God's will?

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    All of the above but 3 is likely the most important factor to our winning

14. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I could only add a #5 - Harrison & Keisel showing the rest of the guys how D is supposed to be played. Since they've gotten up to speed, the D has started swarming more, making hits, confusing opp QB's (I know, a lot of that has to do with DL's schemes, but you need someone to lead the charge).

Although I hated the 15yd RTP call on McClendon last night, it sure felt good to see him slam Flacco to the turf like a toy. No doubt JH is starting to rub off on some of the younger guys.

15. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I bought [​IMG] ... and it works!

16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I taped a copy of Busman's avatar to the inside of Ben's locker 3 weeks ago and said this is who is handing out the next SB MVP trophy. After that, everything just fell into place. (I understand though Brent Mussburger has been seriously working out and trying to land a QB job before season's end).

17. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    blocking, blocking, blocking, and more blocking

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    outscoring our opponents. this has become a real nice formula for winning. I'm sorry.:facepalm::rolleyes::cool:

19. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Defensively speaking, I think we have just committed to blitzing more. Early in the season, our secondary showed an inability to cover well, even against less than stellar competition. One of the ways to keep a poor secondary from being abused is to blitz often, hoping to get sacks or make QBs throw early.

Fortunately, we have been able to create good pressure with our blitzing. Harrison and crew have been able to make it uncomfortable for QBs the last two games--although Luck still torched us for over 400 yards in just 20 minutes of possession time.

I like the strategy and hope that we continue to employ it. If nothing else, it may result in fewer explosive plays against us since QBs will get rid of the ball sooner (and assuming we tackle the catch). Explosive plays have plagued us this year--we have given up over 40 plays of 20+ yards already this year. Last year we gave up 40 such plays for the entire season. (I credit www.steelersdepot.com for the explosive play data)

20. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    .........#7 Throwing a ****load of TD passes.......Id say thats the diff.

21. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know, but whatever it is I hope we keep doing it. As funny as it sounds, I think we'll know what kind of a team we have when we play the Jets. Do we have a team that plays consistent football against both good and bad teams, or do we have a team that still plays down to the competition. With the way were playing, we should destroy the Jets.

22. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    We are starting to win some games and lose no more games.

23. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    ...and with these immortal yet succinct words from PD - #36 proceeded to turn Brian Urlacher into an abused doormat on our way to Lombardi #5. :dancing:

24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    [video=youtube;K3dbd2YyeN0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3dbd2YyeN0[/video]

:roflmao:

25. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011