1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

let's make a poll to understand how this board is oriented , just curiosity (they can do what they w

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by freakfontana, Sep 30, 2014.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You're clueless if you think this team has tons of talent, on offense they do but the defense is a joke. If they had a ton of talent they wouldn't be struggling to stop players like Brian Hoyer, and Mike Glennon. They have probably the worst secondary in the NFL, and no Pro Bowl players on defense.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This was going to be my response as well.

We're inconsistent at the moment - terribly inconsistent - and that in a way hurts more than being flat out bad.

3. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree that our defense is not at the same level as the offense. Our secondary is in shreds and I'm really hoping that Mike Mitchell isn't a bust, because we are in a world of hurt if he is with how much he just got paid. BUT...he was a pro bowl caliber player when he had a strong front seven. Any secondary becomes a million times better when there is pressure up front. We HAVE to find a franchise DT if we're going to stay with the 3-4; it is a must. Casey Hampton constantly was pulling-in double coverage and creating a lot of space in the trenches for LB's to come through and around. Once the college season is over, I start to research draft prospects more (meaning as of now I have no idea what kind of impact players are out there who will be in the '15 draft). But CB and DT have to be our #1 priorities next year!

I truly do feel that there is talent on this defense. The talent that is there needs to have a fire lit under their @$$ and be motivated/pushed to get to the next level. We need a healthy Shazier so he can get acclimated to the speed of the NFL. He is going to be a Farrior/Polamalu type of leader as he matures. I hope to God that Tuitt is an impact player next year. I really believe that we are only 2-3 players away on defense before getting back to the Steelers defense that we've always known!

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Exactly. It's hard for me to answer this for that reason. With this year's schedule, it would be hard to stomach not making the playoffs without catastrophic injuries being the predominant factor, but the final story of those losses determines the answer here. I cannot see the organization missing the playoffs and keeping the top 3 coaches though, regardless of the reasons.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Almost evenly split on the vote with the scales tipped towards not firing MT so far.

The thing that surprises me is that MT has shown he can win with talent, so does that mean the people voting for him to be fired think we dont have talent?

I believe we do, its definitely there on the offensive side and think the defensive side just has to develop it. You already have Timmons there, Heyward too, Tuiit was an absolute steal and I think Shaizer will be a stud and JJ was showing improvement every week. Cortez has been a disappointment, had higher hopes for him, maybe he'll turn it around still. I think Shark will be good, most of the defensive guys just need time.

One of the arguments I've seen here that is totally baseless is that Tomlin doesn't have the respect of the players, how does anyone say that with the way they bounced back last season? They are totally behind him. The team just needs time.

6. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    ^ this! Especially if the lack of discipline shows absolutely no improvement

7. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    To me, this whole argument comes down to discipline. And this team certainly seems to have none. That all starts with the head coach. If he can't discipline the team, he's not the coach I want running the franchise.

8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Didnt realize Tomlin had so many family members on this board,;)

9. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I agree w/many on here that the poll would be better revised to try to capture the kind of season missing the playoffs...is it 8-8, 7-9, or 5-11. I do think if this season goes really badly then Tomlin will and should be fired. But I just doubt that will be the case. I think the team is likely a 7-9 or 8-8 type team from what I see. So at this time I voted "no" and am looking at it more through the eyes of how things were handled with Cowher where he had three non playoff seasons as well.

10. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have said many times, I can handle losing if we come out and played inspired, disciplined football. Perhaps the talent is just not there in that situation. Watching this team, and last years, come out and look like they are asleep at the wheel and then get 125 yards in penalites on top of that (in the TB game)..that is my issue. If we don't make the playoffs, I think he is gone - assuming the team continues to play the way they have for the last three seasons.

11. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Most of them this past Sunday looked like "I get paid millions a year and don't give a $*** what happens..."

12. brassbawls

brassbawls Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Agree with you there my friend. Its been a snowball effect since the Tebow playoff debacle.

13. brassbawls

brassbawls Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2013
    I voted that he should be fired. I felt that way after the horrible 0-4 start last year and even after the season last year. I feel this way not only because of the on field performance but because of the off field issues as well. Since Tomlin has been here the Steelers have underachieved greatly in the draft especially. I just don't see how Cowher & co could draft so well year in and year out and now we have had many swing and misses notably in the 1st round.

14. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    If I was Tomlin, I'd fire myself if they miss the playoffs. Just quit Mike. Honestly, anything less than a 12-4 season with our schedule will be a disappointment.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Talent wins in this league, if you can't get stops on defense you end up 8-8.

16. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    How succinct.

17. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    No we are the pittsburgh steelers
    We dont fire coaches
    so why would we fire Tomlin
    Hes doing ok
    hes not the problem
    he doesnt miss a tackle he doesnt get a flag thrown on him
    hes not the gm

18. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I was never on the "fire Tomlin" side but now I am and I'll give you my reasons why he should be fired if we don't see a turnaround. For the last 3 seasons we consistently lose, or barely get by bad teams, the offense is either poor or the defense just doesn't show up and sometimes it is both. Now we all know this can happen but it happens with regularity, it looks as if they didn't even practice, if it happened once or twice then yeah, players are human but the mistakes that get made seem to be from a team that isn't prepared at all. The Bucs come into a game knowing the Steelers are rushing very well and that they like to play that kind of game, so they stack the box first thing and run blitz, but what happened? Our o-line looked confused and as a result our QB got crushed and fumbled, and then a young stationary QB throws a TD pass, down 7 zip. We come out the next series and the same thing, the box is loaded up and we run up the middle and then try a screen with no blockers, 3 and out from deep in our own territory, it looks like they have the plays scripted and it doesn't matter what the opposing defense looks like, they are going to run the play they decided. Defense, well when you can't get pressure even with a blitz the secondary is going to suffer no matter how good they are and having one of, if not the worst, secondary in the league just makes things that much worse. That brings me to my only out for Tomlin, I'd be willing to go another year with him if they get DL to retire, and I'm sorry to those that believe it is the players, yes, we don't have the guys to run his system but he doesn't change anything, the cross-fire blitz hurts to even watch it anymore, and what is worse is when they run it and the QB still ends up not having to move, and any throwing lane he wants to be open is open, someone has to go.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If they go 9-7 and miss the playoffs then Tomlin comes back. The Steelers didn't fire Cowher after he missed the playoffs for 3 straight years.

20. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    NO. EAZYPEEZY

got this question correct

NEXT!!!

21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :eek::facepalm::lolol:

22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Except for Heath.

23. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    The success that coach T has had was primarily early in his career. With a team that was basically still Cowher's product. Tomlin has had some success but just like someone else said... not to a Steeler's standard.

Let him go be unproductive elsewhere. Let him try his old schtick where ever that may. I'm tired of his words of change, and no action.

How can he get down on the team and comment that the penalties hurt us? He is the HEAD coach. He should have known all the deficiencies to each player. Sure he isn't a puppet master (directing players), but why does he act like a dummy; someone else is pulling him along.

24. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I voted no......... Now if we have a total collapse, 6-10 & under then everyone is gone. Colbert, Tomlin and his entire staff. Our Offense is too good to go that bad. If we go 7-9/8-8 and our defense is ranked is ranked in the bottom 66% again then Fan Favorite LeBeau is gone and Colbert/Tomlin is put on notice, Playoffs or the streets. In fact I feel if we don't go deep into the playoffs Colbert is put on notice and LeBeau is asked to retire.

Colbert- I've defended you over the years but you just haven't acquired the Championship level talent we need to win the Superbowl. You haven't been a total disaster as you've acquired a championship caliber offense but championships are won with defenses and ours is headed in the wrong direction.

Tomlin- I get your point, you have to coach the players your GM brings you and you must keep a DC the Rooneys and Steeler Nation loves but fault you are not without. Your team is undisciplined on the field as they lead the league in personal fouls/unsportsmanlike penalties and penalties overall. How is it everyone in America knows a player cannot go to the ground in celebration but yet your players learn this via a penalty ( A. Brown ) , are you not teaching the rules of the game? Speaking of teaching, our defense has zero clue on how to tackle. No one is in the right position to make a tackle and they prefer to hit in place of wrapping up. You were a DC once, remember? When your nickel CB ( W. Gay ) is the best tackler on the team there is a fundamental problem in coaching.

LeBeau- You are a Legend in your own time. Thank You for everything. I get you don't have the talent you once had and if you did then our defense would be a top tier defense but here is our problem. You are famed for being innovative but you are stuck in forcing the same system/style of defense on players not best suited for said scheme. You insist on being a base 3-4 team yet you have no dominate NT- No effective pass rushing OLBers on either side. Too much time being allowed for the CB to cover and the safeties are not on the same page. Where is shark? Zero snaps. Shouldn't he be getting some snaps if he's going to replace Troy next year or maybe he might some plays this year the other two isn't, couldn't hurt trying? You invented the 3-4 zone blitz when it was needed...... time to invent a new scheme.

Cajun-

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The same lame argument no coach is going to win without talent, the team is in transition with a lot of young players.