1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

At this point if I were a coach I might consider......

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dominilate, Sep 28, 2014.

1. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just wanted to hear your thoughts. First off although they haven't lit it up in the second half I DO believe the O-line looks better in blocking that it has in the past, they're not a nasty group of linemen yet but they look better in their blocking (just wanted to put my positive out there)

NOW if I were a coach I would seriously consider putting in Shamarko and benching Troy. I love TP but his penalties and lack of coverage are killing us (that last big play we gave up was as much on him as anyone else). Shamarko would be better suited to get to the QB on blitzes, get to the the WR on a catch, and he probably would be greater threat for a takeaway. Just my 2 cents.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Resigning? Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If I'm Mike Tomlin, I'm firing myself.

But yes, I would bench Troy and give Shamarko a chance

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    How about reeling Troy in. He is no longer the player he used to be and it might actually help the defense giving him some responsibility instead of freelancing. Maybe knowing where he is and where he is supposed to be would help the other guys playing defense without him.

5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I see Gay being slammed for that touch down and rightfully so since it was his man, but if you really look at how he had to play both outside and inside because Troy wasn't deep enough.......

If Troy is deeper he has a chance on the ball and Gay can play his man tighter.

6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You hit the nail on the head his freelancing is killing us. He needs to take away the inside move so Gay can play the outside more agressive. Instead he did neither he just stood there in limbo.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Benching Cam Thomas for Stephon Tuitt.

And giving McCullers some playing time.

BUILDING THE GAMEPLAN AROUND HEATH EVERY SINGLE WEEK!!!

8. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Yes all of this. Also Brown is perhaps the best playmaker in the game today. He is, in my opinion, a top 3 receiver as well. So obviously Brown should be involved like he has been.

I also really like Wheaton's contributions. He is developing into a pretty sure-handed target. His 31 yard snag today had flashes of Hines Ward all over it.

Bell should be used more in the passing game, and we should be running less up the middle.

Beachum is not good, but he is marginally better than Adams. We are in need of a real LT.

But the biggest and most obvious aspect of the team, as displayed by todays game, is the sheer lack of talent along the defensive line. They are perhaps the worst unit, of all positional units, of any team in the league. They are really that bad.

9. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    A nice sealed garage and the engine running.

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes I would bench Troy ,,I would also call every Team and find some CB'S off the practice squad ...Go to the Arena league look at all their CB'S send someone to Canada to look for CB'S and by Wed. I would have 4 new CB'S and at least 4 CB's would be gone...

I might loose but it wont be with the same trash ..

11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :roflmao:

12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I can't fault db's. Our pass rush stinks. Cam Heyward is our best pass rusher. That's bad. TB qb was sacked only 1 time. ONE TIME!

Ben was sacked how many times?

13. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  14. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    sitting in a Jaguar wearing a pirate hat with poop in my pants

that takes care of the 3 current games

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Can't say I disagree with the last line. My question is,in your opinion why are our CBs ball skills off the chart atrocious.That goes for our safeties as well,its been this way for years. Don't they practice playing the ball when it's in the air. Watch troy on the 40 yd play to Murphy he runs the wrong way when to me he had plenty of time to recognize the flight of the ball and make a play ,instead he guesses and runs the wrong way. Another thing is how is it we could shut down the high powered Pats O a few years ago playin press-man but now we hardly if ever employ the same plan. Why is it so hard to mix coverages so the O doesn't know exactly where to go with the ball. In my opinion Lebeau has castrated this defense with his, play it safe don't get beat defense. I'm so sick and tired of seeing our CBs in position to make a pick but are too scared to take the chance.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    get some discipline instilled amongst my players.

we have to make these wide open plays. drops, overthrows, penalties, no qb pressure. OC get head out of azz. DC get head out of azz. qb get head out of azz. wr's get head out of azz. catch the ball.

it's not one thing but a bunch of little things that just keep resurfacing for this team. no chemistry, no discipline. if I hear one more time that gilbert is improving i'll scream. benchings can be motivators. kev Colbert quit signing mediocre talent as our top guys, when you know damn well they are not it. OK I feel better now.:cool:

17. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    this is the winner!

18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    DL plays them off because he watches them get smoked every day in practice ....DL will play press when he thinks he can ...The reason guys don't go for the pick is their simply not good enough... They can't see the ball , they can't break on the ball, and they can't jump ....

We have let the CB position fall into a state of funk ,,if we cut every CB on this Team most of which wouldn't make another NFL roster that's the problem right there ...People clowned me last week about switching DHB to CB ,but having watched our guys today no way could he play any worse,,,,at least he would know how and when to break on a ball, heck he can even jump,he also has the speed to cover distance why the ball is in the air...

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You say it's the CB's and ThrowtoHeath says it's the D-line.
    I smell a debate?

20. ThrowToHeath

Nov 28, 2011
    Not to be that guy, but a debate implies that there could be two potential sides. That is not the case here. It's the defensive line.

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I kind of agree, but I'd have to add OLBs to that mix. In our defense, the OLBs are primary pass rushers. Ours simply don't get there.

22. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Bingo!!! Troy needs to play safety and help over the top because neither corner can cover close enough. Same thing with the other safety. Safety should play safe because our corners are not shut down corners......

23. ThrowToHeath

Nov 28, 2011
    Just pass rush in general...I just took it one step further and identified the DL as the biggest contributor to a lack of pass rush. But yes, LBs too.

24. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Inoticed a few years ago when Troy was out, the defense seemed more in sync with Will Allen playing a regular safety role.

25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

That wouldn't for me. It would be vodka and sleeping pills.