1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Game Loss Complaint Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Sep 12, 2014.

1. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    For how long? Do you think this is the first game he has gone out and busted his ass only to have NOONE else care? I saw Troy flying all over the field last night but he cant do it alone. At some point, no matter how MOTIVATED he is for a game, if no one else is, then why bother?

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Probably just as well!

The D came out firing in the second half, but only for one drive. They needed the offense to go out there, put a long drive together and finish with a score. Instead, Ben missed a fairly wide open Justin Brown, and it was a 3 and out. From there... well, I'm sure you can imagine.

3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I've always been a Haley supporter, but I also don't believe that coaches should be forced to inherit assistants. I was just saying that if Tomlin was fired, the new coach should be allowed to bring in whoever he wants, even if that person isn't Todd Haley. I think Haley is a good OC. You're right though, Ben was awful. He was missing wide open guys all night long. That's unacceptable.

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh man after halftime we really turned it on! I mean we were giving it our all! Guys were flying to the ball and putting dudes on their back! We were hitting everything that moved! We looked like a well oiled and well coached machine!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Said every Ravens fan on planet earth last night!

5. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't know what is happening with Ben. Against the Bills (I know it was preseason), he looked sharp and accurate. Then, against the Eagles, he was horrible. Looked fantastic against the Browns in the first half (and at the end maybe), but was lost last night. Game plan? OL blocking? Defensive schemes that he cant read? I just don't know.

6. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    LOL, I thought you were being serious at first. I was like, man, my sister was texting me updates and she didn't sound like we were running like a well oiled machine.

7. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I wonder if playing in Baltimore has got to his head? I saw a stat line on NFL.com that he always stinks up the joint statistically playing in Baltimore. Is he too conservative? Can't really blame him with the beating he's taken against them over the years, but a dominant game from our franchise QB against our bitter rival would be a nice change of pace.

8. BowlsOfSteel

BowlsOfSteel Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    I'm not in the position to question Troy, as I'm speaking generelly. There should be enough veteran leadership on the team. Maybe go over to Ben and say: Hey Ben do you want to win another SB? Then help to find the fire we need to be in contention.
    I really thought we would win the game because there was some happiness after the Browns W because they knew they dodged the bullet there.

9. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Last night was a concern, and no mistake. I'm hoping it was just an off-day, and he sorts it out by next week. It didn't seem to me to be a reading problem, though, as he was picking out guys who were open-ish. Just missing them. I would expect some of those throws from Gradkowski, but not Ben - at any point in his career.

10. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    Good point.

11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I was just speaking to the thing about Haley not being a problem. I don't think new coaches should have to do that either. I think Tomlin probably had to do that with DL but that was because he was sorta young and still very green then and maybe the Rooney's thought DL was too valuable to give up and also might have a sort of stabilizing influence on Tomlin as well. I think now though if Tomlin did want to part ways with him they would probably let him. Who really knows though? I know once a journalist asked a question that was sorta negative about DL and asked Tomlin why he felt good about DL and he got sorta irritated and said "Because he's Dick Lebeau!" and just left it at that. So I think Tomlin really does have faith in him.

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well I WAS being serious. Just for the wrong team! HA!!!

13. PitJax

PitJax Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    FeartheBeard gets it. Changes are needed. No passion, unprepared, very poor tackling. We really need a head coach who inspires. Sorry, but the blame falls on MT.

14. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    YUCK
    simply
    YUCK

changed channels with 10 minutes left.Had enough. No inspiration on the field.

But i'll be here
    hasn't swayed me before during rough times.

now if I can just hit one of my parlays for the week

15. steelers1971

steelers1971 New Member

Sep 12, 2014
    That answer, "there was no issue" is an answer I give my wife when she asks whats wrong and I say nothing, when in fact I'm really pissed. Its hard to say this because during the Tomlin/Lebeau era we've been to 2 superbowls but, I think Tomlin should've been able to pick his own dc from the day he was hired. Ran the defense that he wanted and maybe we would've seen him be more involved and more forthcoming of what issues there are on defense, at the very least since that is where his background was. To me, he will never say anything is wrong with the defense as long as Lebeau is still here.

16. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin should have been able to pick his own DC, but at the same time, if he had got rid of Lebeau, perhaps we wouldn't have won that SB in 2008. Lets face it, that defence was absolutely lights out.

17. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Thanks for the warm welcome back! :)

I did hear about the Philly blow up and was hoping he'd continue that kind of energy on the field, but he just seems off to me. He either doesn't get to the ball or whizzes right by it. You're right that we may just be seeing him slow down, but if that's the case what a run it's been! I don't know many others who have given what he has for a team this long.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought JB only had that one bad play, the fumble, the pass behind him was on Ben. And with the limited practice time these guys get and on a short week, it's not so easy to just plug someone else in. And Shark is hurt.

As for Tomlin, everything is the HC responsibility, from motivating, to teaching fundamentals to putting together a game plan, ect. But you guys will never convince me that Tomlin, LeBeaue, Munchak, Lake, Mann, Mitchell aren't capable of preparing a team, you're just never going to.

The team got old, couldn't compete at a high level, they've gone into transition, weeding out the old and replacing with new players, the new players are raw and inexperienced and need much more playing time for everything to come together. Thats it, there's no magical HC thats going to come in and wave his wand and make this a dominant team :wizard:

We're going to have to sit through the growing pains.

19. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I would agree with you if there were signs of improvement, but there isn't. In fact, some of our problems are actually getting worse.

20. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The team turned around the last half of last season.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Colbert picks the players and has final say.

22. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes.

And while it's perhaps too early to start looking for any positives from last night, I think the real reason I'm so frustrated by the result is that we saw what the offense could do in the first half against Cleveland, and what they showed hints of (before the fumbles and the weirdly off-target passes). In other words, the team should be doing better - and not just because we're the Steelers, and we used to have Bill Cowher as a coach, etc., but because this team right here should be doing better.

I'm less convinced by the D at this point, but still.

This is why I was saying before to not immediately jump on the 'it's all down to one thing' argument. Let's look at all the things that went wrong, and assess how they might not go wrong next week. And if there's no way of them not going wrong next week, then at least we'll be prepared...

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Tomlins post game: Fumbles and penalties are unacceptable, ive got news for you mister dont have a clue, your offense hasn't scored a TD in 6 quarters, your defense has no pass rush, they couldnt sack groceries, and they cant stop the run giving up 157 yards rushing for a total of 344 yards in two games: That's whats unacceptable, your secondary is a total chinese fire drill, and all you can talk about is fumbles and penalties, so much for this teams chances at any playoffs this year...............

24. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Tired of the transition crap! Players need experience....Let's watch a few other games and see how much experience those teams have.

I saw CJ Mosley running to the ball and playing up to speed....isn't he a rookie? How about those imposing corners and safeties the Ravens had on the field?

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm sure Mosely has made his share of mistakes. Shazier has made plays too.