1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sticky- Most memorable STEELER game..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Myronwemissyinz, Oct 18, 2011.

1. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Re: Most memorable STEELER game..

JB Brown in single coverage letting Humphries throw for their last touchdown. UGH

2. kwebste6

kwebste6 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

My most memorable steelers game's is one that i will never forget. It was the 2005 superbowl and me and my father traveled to Greensboro, N.C. to watch the game. We watched the game with my Grandfather and Grandma in a nursing home. My grandfather was very sick at the time, as he struggled with cancer. My father knew this would be one of the last chances he would have to see his dad, so it was a very emotional trip. My grandparents raised there family in Pittsburgh and were die hardt fans of all Pitt sports. Like most steelers fans, my grandfather was a blue collar steel worker who worked long hours to support his family. I will never forget the look on my grandfathers eyes after winning the superbowl. I could tell that he was so happy to spend this time with us, I think about that day very often. Unfortunately that was the last time i saw my grandfather, as he passed away just months after the Superbowl. That will always be my most memorable game. I will never forget the last moments i spent with my grandfather watching the superbowl.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Great story.

:)

4. stairway2seven

stairway2seven Member

Oct 24, 2011

I would say there are two, one being in the stadium and the other not (get to that in a sec)

1. Super Bowl XL, I did not have tickets but three of my closet friends went to Detroit and watched the game at a bar. The entire bar was all steeler fans. I think it was the most special because being only 25 at the time this was the first one I watched and them winning it all. As my dad is a big fan I now knew how he felt watching your team win it all. I can remember calling him and could barley hear him but remember us both just saying the steelers are champs.

2. 2008 AFC Champ, This was the first champ game I have been to. I have been to regular and divisional playoff games before but never a champ. Watching a close game and then watching the stadium erupt when Troy ran it back to the house to seal the victory.

5. king&queensteelers

king&queensteelers New Member

Oct 16, 2011

The year of Superbowl xl my wife and son bought 2 tickets for fathers day, so me and my son attended the
    Bears Steelers at Pittsburg. We were not sure what team we were going to see, because they had lost like 4
    games in a row.Well the 7 and a half hour trip was snow from the Penn state line all the way to the Burg.
    it snowed on friday saturday and sunday afternoon, the field was white a half time but the Bus muddied
    it up as the Steelers won 21-9 great father son trip . and the Steelers won every game the rest of the year
    including Super Bowl XL :-D :D posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=39#

6. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

The Brown's game in 1999 was memorable. The Browns were back in the League and their stadium was on fire. The Steelers put a 43-0 whipping on them but their fans did not hate us as much because of the support we had shown them regarding the move.

A love-hate relationship
    But for all the rivalry's nastiness, there is a begrudging respect between fans of the two teams— a recognition of the richness of their history, their no-nonsense approach to the game, and the passion of both cities' fans for football. Perhaps this was seen most clearly in 1995, when Cleveland owner Art Modell announced that he was moving the Browns to Baltimore. At a Monday Night Football game against the Browns in Pittsburgh, Steelers fans donned orange armbands to show their support for Browns fans in their attempt to keep their beloved team in Cleveland. Art Modell remains a reviled figure in Pittsburgh— almost as much as he is in Cleveland— because the move nearly ended one of the NFL's greatest rivalries.

After three dreary years with no team in Cleveland, the series was resumed in 1999 when Cleveland was granted an expansion team— with the Browns name, colors, and history intact— to replace the team they had lost. In the first game of the season, the Steelers gave Cleveland a rude welcome back to the NFL with a 43-0 romp over the new Browns in Cleveland. Later that same year, the Browns delighted their fans by pulling off a 16-15 upset of the Steelers at Three Rivers. The rivalry was back!

In truth, though, it would be a little while before Browns-Steelers games carried the weight they once had for the players. Cleveland was starting from a blank slate— and after three years without the Browns, most of the Steelers no longer thought of Cleveland as their biggest divisional rival.

7. SteelerfanWYO

SteelerfanWYO New Member

Oct 26, 2011

Super Bowl 14...Stallworth's over the shoulder catch to put the Steelers ahead...

8. khow43

khow43 Member

Oct 26, 2011

05 playoffs sitting up high at the Colts game in the same EndZone the BUS fumbled in glad it all worked out.

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

For me it's definitely the playoff game vs the Colts in 2005. I'll never forget that game simply because it was such an emotional rollercoaster.

I thought the Steelers had it wrapped up and was sure Bettis would take the ball into the endzone. I was so happy that the Steelers were moving on. Then he fumbled and life as I knew it shattered around me. But then Ben made the tackle and I was so happy again. That's when I realized the Colts were about to go for the field goal, and I was heart broken again. I was sure they would tie it up, and that wouldn't have been good for us. When they missed the field goal though, I jumped all over my house and yelled as loud as I could.

I've never been through that many emotions in such a short period of time in my life.

10. darcarcr

darcarcr New Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Easily my first game was my most memorable game.

Dec 16th 2000, last game at 3 Rivers Stadium. made the long haul to the Burgh thru the snow all the way from Iowa.

Not only was it a historic last game at 3 Rivers, but numerous former players came and marched around and slapped hands with the fans (except Swann :thumbsdown: ) and we were lucky enough to have front row seats.

It was very emotional and memorable :thumbs_up:

11. jsteelers077

jsteelers077 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Welcome to the board Darr glad you made it over here. I would have say my most memorable game was the playoff against the browns when maddox threw for 500 yrds and beat the browns in the final min of the fourth qtr.
    :herewego!:

12. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Probably the "best" game I've ever seen, from a fan standpoint. What I mean is, if I wasn't a Steeler fan, but just a fan of watching football games, that has to be one of the very top games in history.

It had everything. A surprise beginning, a phenomenal offense unable to get off the ground constantly swarmed, an unthinkable there's-no-way-that-happened-the-ref-must-be-getting-paid mistake, a thrilling comeback, a shocking defensive stand, a once in a lifetime shocker of a fumble in which even the ball flew in the most dramatic fashion possible, an amazing surprise tackle, and a suspenseful finish that surprised everyone.

The play no one talks about enough in my mind is the pass defensed by Bryant McFadden just before the field goal attempt. Ike had to follow Harrison, Townsend had to follow the dangerous slot guy Stokely, and the safeties had problems of their own with Dallas Clark, and Peyton Manning being able to go to any of those guys. And so rookie McFadden was matched up on Reggie freakin' Wayne. Talk about a dream matchup for the Colts. When Peyton threw the ball that way, that was the lowest point of the game for me. Lower than when Bettis fumbled. When Bettis fumbled, there were several reasons to think we might still win: "Maybe we'll recover it. Nope. Maybe we'll tackle him right there and they'll have to go the whole field. Nope. Maybe Ben will get him, but probably not, but at least he'll score with enough time left to give our offense a chance to come take the lead back. Nope, Ben got him, now it's on our defense, not our offense... uh-oh." But if McFadden doesn't break up that ball to Wayne, then we don't win, there's no overtime. We LOSE outright. Game over. When I saw Peyton throw it into the end zone, I thought, "We're going to lose. I can't believe it." Of course, I didn't really know that. It just seemed like Classic Steelers. Growing up in the 90s, that's what we were known for in my eyes. Stuff the run on first down, sack on second down, 20 yard completion on 3rd and 18. In the small scheme of things as well as the grand. Great defense, making the playoffs, getting burned deep, never actually winning a Super Bowl. Ever. That pass seemed like the perfect spot for us to lose. It still would have been a rip off, but it would have been typical.

The Steelers I knew would have allowed that touchdown. To me, that was the exact moment when transformed from 90s Steelers that would kick your ass all regular season but never win it all into modern Steelers that were a legit threat to take home the Lombardi.

13. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

As I posted, it's my favorite game also. AND I AGREE! Nobody ever talks about the McFadden play. It was huge! When we got him back in the draft trade two years ago I thought we made a great decision to trade for a familiar young player in a lter round than taking a chance. Because I always go back to that clutch play. I had been blinded from his mediocrity by this event.

But, as i remember it in my mind there were actually TWO passes defensed by him on that set of downs that were crucial. 2nd and third down. The missed FG was 4th down. Right....?

14. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    OK. Just went to NFL game center and pulled this.

Indianapolis Colts at 01:01
    1-10-IND 42
    (1:01) P.Manning pass to R.Wayne to PIT 36 for 22 yards (B.McFadden, T.Polamalu).
    1-10-PIT 36
    :)39) P.Manning pass to M.Harrison to PIT 28 for 8 yards (I.Taylor).
    Timeout #1 by IND at 00:31.
    2-2-PIT 28
    :)31) (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete to R.Wayne (B.McFadden).
    3-2-PIT 28
    :)25) (Shotgun) P.Manning pass incomplete to R.Wayne.
    Timeout #1 by PIT at 00:21.
    4-2-PIT 28
    :)21) M.Vanderjagt 46 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-J.Snow, Holder-H.Smith. PENALTY on IND-M.Vanderjagt, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced at PIT 36.

If I'm correct (and maybe I'm not) the 3rd and 2 play above was also defended by McFadden. I guess they didn't give him credit because the pass wasn't close, but maybe Manning threw a bad pass because of good coverage. At any rate, yes, that game had it all especially with us winning at the end. I feel that once that game was won our guys knew they couldn't be stopped.

15. clevesteelerfan

clevesteelerfan New Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Dating myself here - that's OK. Superbowl IX, the first one. I was a student at Carnegie-Mellon in Pittsburgh. A whole group of us were watching the game at one of the frat. houses. All of us took the bus downtown after the game, and the celebration was absolutely incredible. I'll never forget wall to wall people on Fifth, Forbes, Liberty, everyone giving out free beer, McDonalds on Liberty giving free hot chocolate to all of us freezing fans. It seems like yesterday...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Hmmm... the thread started out to be about games we've attended.

But this is cool too. :cool:

17. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't like when something hijacks a thread's intention either, but I think as long as people clarify it's all good. A lot of people have never been to a game. I've only been to two, and neither was especially memorable at all except to me. It's nice to let everyone play :-D

18. SteelersWin!

SteelersWin! Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2011
    I've been reading the forum for years, but tried and failed to get registered on the old board. They would never email me a password. I'm glad I can finally start posting on this one!

Most memorable was last year's AFC division game against Ratbirds. My brother's girlfriend got us tickets for his birthday and the two of us made the trip. I could believe we were going to the playoffs, it was only the second Steeler game I've ever been to. The first was earlier in the year against the Jets.

But it was crazy, the first half was so bad, but when Rice fumbled and we scored right away you could feel the momentum shift. It was so loud the whole second half, and felt like the upper deck was shaking at times. So many sick plays in the second half. Ben's bomb to Brown was insane!

We were so pumped, everyone was honking their horns and celebrating on the drive back on the turnpike.

19. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

I remember it vividly. On third down, Manning threw it sort of into no man's land. It was a miscommunication with one of his receivers, and the ball went out into the middle of nowhere. McFadden was the closest to it, came off his man and dove for it, but he didn't have a chance and it bounced in front of him. It was good of him to try for the pick, but you can't really say he defended it.

The other thing about the second down play is that Manning had Dallas Clark WIDE open and uncovered for a shorter pass. Wouldn't have been a touchdown, but would have been a first, bought them three or more stabs at the end zone for a win, and enough yardage for a field goal that their kicker wouldn't have missed. But he had the dream matchup and went for it all. Great play for us.

About McFadden, to me he was worth a second round draft choice for that play alone. That sounds silly, but it won us a Super Bowl! How many normal #3's for Pittsburgh would make that play? William Gay? No way. B-Mac will always be considered a disappointment because we all thought he would be an amazing starter -- and he was pretty dang good in 2008 -- but he never really took off like we thought. That said, he has unbelievable run support skills. I think he would be a great #3 and special teamer for us. He's a guy that could excel in that role, I think, if expectations were lowered. Right now he's #4 or so because Gay and Lewis are doing well (against no competition, we'll see how they do Sunday). If he takes the vet minimum, I'd keep him. Assuming the young guys Brown and Allen step it up next year, I'd rather drop Gay and keep Bryant in that veteran backup role.

[youtube:1jp30drf]A4C6cRPytfs[/youtube:1jp30drf]

20. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I can't disagree. I've only been to a handful myself.

But my answer would have been... somewhat different if I included all games. ;)

But I'm loving the stories either way. :yeehaw:

21. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I can't disagree. I've only been to a handful myself.

But my answer would have been... somewhat different if I included all games. ;)

But I'm loving the stories either way. :yeehaw:[/quote:1nm05k5y]
    It's not too late, you can share another! :popcorn:

22. Kel_In_PA

Kel_In_PA Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

One of the best things I remember about the game is the replay showing Cowher, Bettis, Manning and Dungy all saying "He Missed!" at about the same time. Classic!

23. Tantum Dic Verbo

Tantum Dic Verbo Member

Oct 29, 2011
    For two weeks, my most memorable game was the AFCCG against Baltimore in 2009. My brother had won the Super Bowl lottery as a Steelers season ticket holder. If the Steelers closed the deal, we were going to the Big Show. That gave the game an urgency beyond anything I'd experienced. Of course, Super Bowl XLIII kind of wins, since it was one of the most dramatic Super Bowls ever AND I WAS THERE, BABY!

24. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Todays game could rank pretty high for someone out there....

25. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Todays game could rank pretty high for someone out there....