1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Experiment over

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dobbler-33, Aug 20, 2014.

1. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Done with UCLA pass rushing linebackers that we waste picks on. Davis and Now seemingly Zumwalt. That is all.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Did I miss something? 2 preseason games and we're already writing players off?

Thats a new record :lolol:

I think Zumwalt will be a player, going to spend a season on the PS first, no biggie.

3. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Just an assumption as we've been figuring out the log jam at LB. Plus I hate UCLA and haven't been impressed with their undersized outside LB's (at least the 2)we've taken over the last few years. But as always, I'd love to see Zumwalt make it count. Just can't stay on the field.

4. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    He was honestly my only question mark of this draft. The TE selection... Ehhhhh... We seem to can never have enough of those hahahaha

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    What was the experiment? Drafting a good player with good value? We have a logjam at the position right now. We knew that the instant the pick was made. I still like him a lot as a player, and haven't seen any reason not to. He could still definitely make the PS, and be on the 53 next year. And he will likely learn all 4 positions, which not every guy can do.

Comparing him to 3rd round bust Bruce Davis is just insulting and unwarranted. Zumwalt's been on the team for only a couple months, and has looked good. Lots of guys get hurt. Cortez Allen missed something like 3 preseason games his rookie year, didn't he?

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's frustrating I want to see Zumwalt play, but he wasn't going to make the 53 anyway his best chance is the PS.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not sure I'd call drafting Bruce Davis and Zumwalt an "experiment"... I hadn't even noticed they went to the same college, tbh.

8. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    only the OP noticed they went to the same college.. UCLA,,,,,, because he has a hard on for UCLA..... well UCLA is farrrrrr from my fav college team .... but hes a steeler now is i want to see him do well and dont really give a rats ass where he went to college..

HINES

9. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Yeah I noticed. I'm a Ducks fan which doesn't really hold no bearing per se. I call it an experiment because were drafting undersized outside LB'ers that don't appear to be panning out. Now would they both been better inside? Quite possible. But that's the log jam. Wasn't the case in Davis's time here. Great in college but never saw them being able to play outside backer in the leagues... Too small and yes speed speed speed but that only gets you so far. No hard on for UCLA at all and I for one will root as hard as any of yinz for any Steeler pick to pan out, but yeah... Not seeing it. Thanks for the assumption though bro.

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    College teams ranked in the top ten for best linebackers drafted by the NFL over the last 25 years, shows UCLA at number 6, a pretty good ranking considering the hundred plus 1A college teams in America...

11. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Were 0-1 and a highly possible 0-2 but I hope Zumwalt makes it.

12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Much rather have Cassius Marsh