1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hoping to see intensity and URGENCY turned up.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok 1 preseason game down, I thought
    there is a lot we can build from. I am hoping
    we see more players wanting to be great. I am hoping the competition at several positions intensifies leading to a fast start for the beginning of the season.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think there's a lot of intense competition already - it's just how this translates on to the field from camp. I expected to see a little more from Martavis Bryant and Moye in particular, given the potential shortage of WR places. We hear great things from them in training, so let's see it on the field a little more.

This said, it looked every inch a first game of preseason, in terms of rustiness. So I'll wait a game or two before I pass judgement. There were some bright spots, to be sure.

There were times when I wanted to see a bit more urgency, but the problem with preseason is that by the time urgency becomes an issue, we've got 3rd-stringers out on the field, and the execution suffers as a result.

Game 3 is the all-important one. We need to show that we're pretty much up to speed by then.

3. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    That's about it.

Nonetheless, even though realistically the game was a bummer, most reviews have been favorable. Obviously due to the outstanding play of a number of players. But this is a team game and frankly all those teams out there did not play well. Except the opening I guess. Which many thought was way too short. But if the reason for that was to get the question marks in there ASAP vs top competition to get a truer evaluation of how they might fit then it was a good idea. But if there is no noticeable progress in the Buffalo game then maybe things aren't really so good. Anyway, games like that do give the team a lot of stuff to work on.

4. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I know Tomlin is emphasizing team building and learning but how about winning the game. Regardless
    if it's preseason I think he needs to make a point about winning some of these games. He had the same
    lackadaisical attitude last year and we know how that turned out. I've only played college ball for a year
    but no matter what game it was our coaches talked about winning the game. I think that's why we start so slow
    slow coming out of the gate. Just my two cents.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know how anyone can feel this way when the starters play nary a lick. As long as I see players performing well, I could care less if they never win a pre season game. And that's my 4 cents.

6. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Its not about the starters playing it's about developing a winning attitude and a winning environment. It builds that sense of urgency and we are in this business to win. Jus like Vince lombardi said "winning is the only thing" Winning builds confidence and with such a young team I believe we need that to carry on to the regular season.
    When we lost those first 4 games last year we had the same attitude we carried from the preseason. Nothing good comes from losing all 4 of your preseason games and the first four of your regular season games. And that's my 6 cents.
    Even if we do lose the game don't act or portray it's acceptable.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:

Still totally disagree with you though :smiley1:

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I want to see the starters play a lot more, and not settle for so many FGs. I don't want to see anymore fade passes in the endzone to the smallest WR on the roster.

9. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

100% dead on .. game 3 is when the starters play the most .. be nice to win that game but i think its a road game and hard to win in PS on the road.. and nice to win game 4 to carry the momentum into the reg season .. and a home game i think?

HINES

10. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    10 cents do I have 10c one thin dime 10c going once etc:smiley1:

Seriously though, beat Buffalo Saturday finalize the 53 look ready set to go for game 3.

11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Still two more games to finalize the 53...tbh the coaches probably know 47-50 of them already

12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't really agree. I've played a lot of tournament golf, and I equate pre season to a practice round. While it would be nice to stripe it all day, it has no bearing on how I will perform in the tournament the next day. I've had practice rounds where I hardly hit one good shot, and fired a 67 the next day in competition. I've also had a practice round where I shot 29 on the front only to shoot 72-74 the next two days in the tournament and miss the cut...

All that matters to me is that the players learn something from the game and get better from it. If they do, then the outcomes in the regular season will take care of itself.

13. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    What did you shoot on the back 9?

14. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    A few years ago, the Detroit lions went 4-0 in the preseason... Only to go 0-16 in the regular season that same year. Just saying that although I don't totally disagree with your point that developing a winning attitude is key for young players, but let's face it, these young players have been playing this sport most of their lives. They should already have developed a winning attitude long before they have made it to the NFL. I think the we need both wins and losses. Let them get a bad taste in their mouth, and their butts chewed out by the coaches for losing. Highlight their mistakes, and when the wins come, complement them on what they did well. The whole point of the preseason is development, learning, and adapting.

15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I honestly don't remember. Must not have been that memorable lol