1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

keisel

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Mar 26, 2014.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    We lost Woods & Hood. I think it would be stupid not to re-sign Keisel. Fan favorite and he still has a little left in the tank. I don't think he should start, but still a good rotational guy.

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he would be beneficial to the cause. he still can pressure the qb. a lot depends on big red (arnfelt) progress and Williams. arnfelt may be an UDFA, but the kid is still fast and strong. coming from northwestern, I'm guessing he's smart too. all pluses. with keisels and thomas' addition we should be alright up front. I'd like to see urban drafted and a couple of guys late as UDFA's. rumph as one of them.:cool:

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This would be great if it happens. The only issue that I see with Keisel is his recent injury history. When healthy, he's still a solid starting DE.

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm with you on Arnfelt. If he keeps progressing, he will likely start at DE in a year or two. He looked incredible in the pre-season. Like Keisel, he could be a draft day cast off who makes an impact in this league.

6. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I look for them to re-sign him as well. We need the depth and I think he still has the talent to compete at this level. I don't look for him to be the answer at the starting position obviously but i would like him back for depth and even for his veteran presence in the locker room as well as on the field.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, to be fair, mac, the article is speculative. But I wouldn't mind Keisel coming back on a vet min (or slightly higher) deal. His agent said earlier that Keisel is not going to work for "minimum wage" which in his case is about $950,000. Pretty good "minimum wage" if you ask me and that statement is quite offensive to folks out there making the real minimum wage of about $7.50 an hour. Agents are idiots at times. At any rate, IF Keisel hasn't signed with someone by June 1st "minimum wage" will be looking better and better all the time.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd almost bet he'd get something like foote got last year. he does a lot of things well still. they do move him around at times. I think he'd also be beneficial to the young guys for another year.:cool:

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree. Why not Arnfelt ,he has all the tools. Just needs experience. I like Williams too he's already a beast physically ,he just needs some time as well. I wish that we had insight as to the development of these guys. What we may perceive as a position of weakness the coaches see and know so much more. We may not have as much of a need as we think. They kind of went out of their way to protect Arnfelt so they must have high hopes for him.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He didn't say minimum wage, he said vet minimum. And he's not flipping burgers Jack, any one making minimum wage doesn't go through what he does. Its all relative, if your job didn't want you anymore but would let you stay on for minimum wage, would you? Kind of insulting if you ask me.

11. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    There is another factor in bringing him back....mentor. They guy has done it. Yeah, Heyward looks like he is going to be the real deal, but this past year was his first starting. Arnfelt's and Williams' development could be impacted by his influence.

12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Blast, he said "minimum wage". My point is that agents like to be sensationalists to get their point across and I think most of them are idiots!

Keisel has said he wants to play in 2014, but his agent, Eric Metz, said he would retire before taking a job that pays minimum wage.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ents-today/stories/201403140077#ixzz2x55QjSsq

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/0...ould-rather-retire-than-play-for-the-minimum/

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I was talking about Keisel, I don't care what an agent says, I'd be surprised if the Beard says that though, so far I have only seen him say Vet minimum. And I don't blame him one bit, many of these guys have much shorter life spans then normal people and have a lot of health issues. He can try and get as much as he wants and I won't think poorly of him.

15. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I never implied that Da Beard said that, it was his agent. But I think the analogy of him being asked to play for the vet minimum, the "minimum wage" his agent was referring to, and me being asked to take the real minimum wage to remain employed is way off. First of all, if my employer asked me to take minimum wage to remain employed I'd have another comparable position tomorrow making much more than that. Keisel may or may not be able to get more than the vet min and in all likelihood if he's still on the streets after June 1st his options will be limited. The $950,000 (or so) that he'll make is way more than he'd be able to make sitting at home or doing something outside of football. I think his options may be more limited than he or his agent think. He is pushing 36 and had some pretty significant injury issues last season. When healthy, he's a tremendous asset on and off the field but after a while the reality is that bodies do wear out. His may be on the verge and I don't see anybody lining up to try and sign him at this point. I hope something works out and we are able to bring him back, even if he does have to stoop to making "minimum wage".

16. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I'm thinking when the dust settles the org. will not budge on money the beard will retire and head to Wyoming for few Elk. Of course he's going for more $$ but how many times have we seen this similar rodeo ride out.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    In this economy??? Highly doubtful unless you have some unique skill to offer. Now I am wondering what Jacks trade is :hmmm:

As for the rest, yeah, probably will be on the streets still after June but I still don't think he should be knocked for not wanting to play for the vet minimum.

18. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011

Professional Hitman. Shhh, don't tell him I said anything. ;)

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    depends where you are. Ohio added jobs last year. we have a lot of oil and gas work going on paying "well". see what I did there. :lolol::cool:

20. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If minimum wage was still way more than you would make anywhere else, why not?

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think there's a deal to be had after June 1. I can fully understand Keisel making a decision that 950k isn't enough to put his physical welfare on the line for another year. I can also understand the team not wanting to pay significantly more than the vet minimum for a guy who has become more and more susceptible to injury. Sounds to me like a situation where a deal that includes playing time incentives can work for both parties.

22. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Bingo. :this!:

23. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Let's just say I got options. :cool:

And I don't' begrudge Keisel for wanting more cash, I just get tired of this over the top agent-speak at times.

Nobody likes a rat. :eek:

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Snitches get stitches! :butcher:

25. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    In my world, snitches end up in ditches. :club: