1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Broncos and Pats are getting better while where getting worse

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Real steel, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Real steel

Real steel Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    With all the free agent losses its going to be another long season. It's Great that we are letting our QB who's in his prime go to waste.

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    How'd the dream team work out in Philthy or DC?

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    As shocking as these "losses" are, we were 8-8 two seasons in a row, so are we really getting worse? Give them a chance to see who they bring in, were weren't great with the guys that are leaving.

4. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    We haven't lost a lot, but then we didn't have a lot to lose. The only way to get back to the top is good drafting for a few years in a row.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Ding!

Never saw a Super Bowl played or won in March. It's early, there's plenty of off-season left to panic. Save some. :smiley1:

6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I don't see where the broncs and pats are getting better, the broncs lost their top receiver in Decker, and they signed a Dallas castoff in Demarcus Ware who is injury prone and couldn't stay on the field last year, and the pats need a lot of help on defense, Oline and a receiver if they are going to improve; granted we need defensive help pretty badly losing Hood, Woodley and others, we need receiver help, a left tackle, and we need to get into free agency since we have more cap room, and draft smarter this year than in the past, no doubt these last two 8-8 seasons should be a wakeup call for the front office and the coaching staff, we will see if it registered or not after the first 4 games in 14....

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Decker wasn't Denvers top receiver, more like their 4th option on the field.

8. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    As a 3 or 4 option, Decker set career highs last year in Denver... Latest News Jets signed WR Eric Decker to a five-year, $36.25 million contract with $15 million guaranteed. The $7.25M annual average is quite reasonable. Decker, 27, set career highs in catches (87) and receiving yards (1,288 yards) with Denver last season, scoring 11 touchdowns. He caught a lot of heat during the free-agent period after experiencing a colder-than-expected market, but is a much-needed addition to the Jets' otherwise barren receiver corps. Decker is a physical, largely sure-handed wideout who moves the chains and can beat defensive backs deep. Unfortunately, he's downgrading quarterbacks in spectacular fashion going from Peyton Manning to Geno Smith, and will be the focus of defensive attention in New York after serving as Manning's No. 3 or 4 option. He'd do well to get back near 1,000 yards with the Jets. Decker will be a borderline WR3 in 2014 fantasy. Mar 12 - 11:27 PM Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

9. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I´m just worried about the freaking defensive line. We lost Hood, it appears Woods is gone and Kiesel may not come back. Who will be the line???

And we need to sign some depth to the LB too....and CB, and WR, and RB, etc..

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah but at the Jets he is going to be a number 1, he's not a number 1 receiver, his numbers are going to drop a lot, and as per your post, significant down grade at QB. At Denver, they had Demaryius Thomas, Julius Thomas and Welker all commanding a lot of attention. So not surprising that Decker had good numbers, like I said, 4th best option on the field.

11. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Agreed.
    It looks like The FO is sending a message to the defense as a unit.

We lost depth. We new we would be shopping for a DE nose in the draft or FA. We upgraded the secondary. If you feel like we are overhauling the D don't. So far we have 1 new starter on D and, if the beard isn't signed, 1 more along the line.

12. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    That's a good point, getting double coverage wont be what he's used to, but with 35 million in his pocket he will be smiling a lot, in my opinion the jets really overpaid him, for less money they could have signed a number 1 FA receiver......

13. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree that Decker will be another WR disappointment for the J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets.

14. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was shocked at the contract he received from the Jets....Hell, I could have produced those stats with all of the other talent dbs had to cover when they played Denver. ;)

15. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No doubt! All the way to the bank.

He's better then anything they have but they better get someone for the other side or they will be disappointed.

:lolol:

17. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I for one am excited to see some new blood on the field for the Steelers. Let's be honest, this defense hasn't been dominant since 09? It's time to rotate some of the older guys out and give the young guys a chance. I don't think the recent dominant D's have been built with big name free agent signings (9ers, Seattle, Carolina). I'd rather sign a couple of good cheap free agents than 1 big time guy.

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I remember saying last season how what the team needed was a 'spark' or two to elevate the play and execution. Not necessarily the most talented player, but someone whose play has that extra bit of energy. When Bell hit the field, for example, there was just an extra buzz about the offense for a while. I want to see some new, hungry guys stepping up to the plate.

19. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I love march. every year some team over spends for a washed up vet and sign 5 or 6 guys and everyone eats them up. they are now the team to beat.lol I remember a few years ago when Cleveland spent and they all said they are the sleeper team to watch. they upgraded all the way to 5 wins

20. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

like the 2009 draft class which is now totally gone ... we have no one left from that draft..

HINES

21. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    right thomas / thomas / welker were all ahead of decker..

HINES

22. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The Pats gained Revis, but lost Talib. Did they get better? Minimally.

23. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    how are the pats and broncos getting better...........the pats signed a locker room cancer at cb and vince wilfork wants to be released........ the broncos signed an injury prone lber that hasn't played in a 4-3 since college

we signed a young beast of a free safety and lost one de that was better off in a 4-3, and a de that works best in spot duty to a desperate titans teams that gave him starter money......not to mention losing a rb that was over-all a dissapointment

for us it looks like addition by subtraction..... personally, i think it's past time that we started trimming some of the fat anyway

24. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It is frustrating. Holes everywhere, two 8-8 seasons in a row and the cap is still jacked up.

25. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Or the Fish spending the most $$ last season and all they got out of it was 1 more win .. 8-8