1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Are Signing Safety Mike Mitchell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Mar 11, 2014.

1. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm in DC and one of the local sports talk shows had a Carolina beat reporter on to talk about this guy since the Skins need safety help too. Reporter described him as a head hunter who always looked for the big hits when he arrived in Carolina but he got coached up and his play steadily improved. Reporter thought he was one of Carolina's top priorities for resigning.

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 Mil is probably a safe bet. I'd be a little surprised if it were less than $10 Mil, though.

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Actually 2 in Washington too but still...the point is still there...haha

4. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    While I'm far from an expert/etc...I was thinking in the $10-12 range.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    could be goldens last days maybe. of course has troy ever made two full seasons in a row?

glad to see some speed at safety though. he and shamarko should be two of the fastest in the league I would think.:cool:

6. mort159

mort159 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Signing Munnerlyn would make a ton of sense now. 2 young guys from the same secondary should have developed good chemistry.

7. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing and this would sweeten the deal for Munnerlyn but do we have the finances.

8. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    overall a very good signing. but i'm sure all the haha and pryor fans are crying now

9. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    As a resident of Charlotte, I don't want Munnerlyn. He is William Gay for the slot which we already have. That being said, we have 3 CBs under contract for next year....2 of which are in their last year.

We need to draft 2 guys. I would love Gilbert and Desir, they would be the 2 I would want.

If we are bringing in someone else from Carolina, the guy I want would be Ted Ginn Jr. I know many would say...what? Look, here is the deal. He is a killer on special teams. No more Brown returning punts. No more Dwyer or Jones returning kick offs. He also can really stretch a defense with his speed. Line him up on the outside and he will force coverage over the top.

Now, ideally, you get a big WR in the draft, but if you think Wheaton can = Sanders from this past year and Cotchery/Brown are the same, Ginn is someone who doesn't cost you a pick, yet gives you some other value.

I am still Gilbert in 1, WR in 2, and Desir in 3. (I was Brooks (S) in 4, but that is gone with today's signing).

10. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I really hope we didn't spend a 3rd round pick on safety depth when our entire defense was and still is falling apart. The more time passes the more I'm convinced that Kevin Colbert doesn't have a plan.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Very happy with the signing, clark like,
    now lets get the CB's and lb's this team needs
    and defensive end.

12. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Like this signing too. Good upside pick and a big hitter that needed a fit like Pitt.
    He tends to go all out for the hit so it's a slam or whiff. We're familiar with that, he did adjust with coaching, yielding good results. Ala last season. How much better can he be with DL coaching, in a hard hitting D, and pairing up w/ TP?

Matches up which is probably why they went after him.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Also a fourth.

14. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    No, it's just our 2014 3rd round pick that we traded for Cleveland's 4th round pick in 2013.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He was a fourth round pick right?

16. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    That is probably the ranking by profootballfocus which is always disputable and frequently worthless.

Advancedstats.com ranks him overall at 12. That of course is their own evaluation also and is also arguable. However their other stats are undisputable. Mitchell was #1 in sacks with 5. #2 in QB hits with 6 behind Eric Berry who had 8. Mitchell was tied for 12th in PD [passes defensed] with 9 with just about ever safety of any value. ETC. Stats are what you want them to be.

This to me is an excellent signing. Looking forward to actually seeing this player. Uhh! It's nice to have money!. Keep it rolling;

17. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Shark is a strong safety who will eventually take over for Troy. He will see the field in 3 safety formations.

He was a fourth round pick; playing some your first two years and starting your third is ok at that imo.

A free safety was needed

18. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    really? would you want him to tear it down and start from scratch?

19. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm still processing this trade. Not sure how to react just yet. I remember when the Raiders drafted him in the 2nd round, most called it one of the biggest reaches in draft history. After four years in Oakland, it really looked like that was coming to fruition.

He certainly played well in Carolina last year, no denying that. But did he play well enough to from a 1 year contract @ 1 million, to a 5 year contract @ 25 million. That's a huge pay raise for 1 season with 4 INTs.

I was excited for this years crop of safeties. I thought we could put ourselves to grab a Clinton-Dix in Round 1 or maybe even a Terrence Brooks in Round 2.

On the plus side, we can use those picks to secure talent elsewheres.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    shamarko will see some time as a cb too. he's a good cover man. way more than just a SS in waiting.:cool:

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Colbert has a responsibility to field a team that can compete now as well as look to the future, draft picks wont help you a ton the year they are drafted. It's a deep class, they had to do this signing.

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Mitchell's contract details-

$25 million, with $5.25 Mil guaranteed and a $4.75 Mil roster bonus. 1st year salary $750,000, '15 $2 Mil, '16 $5 Mil, '17 $5 Mil, '18 $5 Mil. He gets $6 Mil this year, and a $2 Mil roster bonus due the 5th day of '15 league year. Also, he has $400 K performance incentives for making the pro bowl.

I really like the savvy use of the roster bonus. It's essentially non-guaranteed, guaranteed money. :p
    Teams use them to avoid proration of large chunks of bonus money in the future.

23. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Doesn't look like they'll get hurt too bad if it doesn't work out after a couple years. Good deal.

24. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

We were both off on the guaranteed money, haha WOW!

I really like this deal even more. Low cap hit this year (and even next year...though i heard there could be some kind of 2 mil bonus he can earn next year http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/0...-mitchell-given-only-5-25-million-guaranteed/ )...anyways...a deal like this gives them the opportunity to cut him in a year or 2 or pretty much whenever and have next to no dead money. I like it!

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I like that contract structure. I had suspected that it would be something similar to this where he had to take the risk that he would preform well enough to make himself "un-cuttable" on the back end when I saw the magnitude of the total dollars as compared to his resume. There are 5 year/25 MM deals out there with way more guaranteed money. Nice job by Colbert, Khan and co.