1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defence truly does win championships, and I have the stats to prove it

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Feb 3, 2014.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I heard an interesting stat today on Sirius NFL and thought many on here would appreciate it as well.

In the history of the Superbowl era, the top defence in the league is 13-2 in Superbowls.

The top offence in the league is 8-8 in Superbowls.

Both have made roughly the same number of SB's, but the top defence consistently wins whereas the top offence doesn't.

2. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Curious, what about the other 35% of the Super Bowls? Did the better defensive or offensive team win?

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I also heard the other day that 3 out of the last 4 times that the top offense has played the top defense the top defense has won. I just think the reason for that is because a lot of these modern offenses are based on finesse and when you come up against a defense that will hit you in the mouth it disrupts the whole system. We witnessed that very thing last night. The hawks were just flat out tougher and absolutely demoralized that team. They flew to the ball. They hit anything that moved. They won in the trenches. It was a thing of beauty for fans of defense to behold.

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    exactly , it was amazing

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the trouble with those stats is most SB's were played under different rules then now. if we would have made those same hits during the season, most would be penalties and personal fouls. nothing is consistant with how this stuff is called.:cool:

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well the rules are clearly slanted in favor of the offense and I really don't care if they don't call stuff. The offense has enough advantages as it is. It seems like now in the NFL that the defenses have to play against the opposing teams AND the competition committee. So any time that d gets it done I'm down with that. The hawks were called for twice and many penalties for over twice as many yards last night and they still dominated. All this talk about the hawks not getting called is not exactly accurate. The stats prove it.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I remember clark making two big hits and on the third one he was flagged just because. I saw helmet to helmet hits last night and big hits that leveled defenseless receivers and non of it was called last night, where we had them called on us for the last couple of years during the regular season. he has built a good defense out there, now let's see if he can keep it and a qb and offense that just won the SB and a great defense since many are up for new contracts. that makes it a little more difficult as we have seen.:cool:

8. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
  9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I told my buddy last night that the biggest opponent that team has on their schedule is the cap. But in this league you've gotta get it while the getting's good and they did that very thing.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Saw it all year, would have rather seen a competitive game. That SB sucked ass.

Only Seahawk fans and Peyton haters liked that game :lolol:

11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The board seems sorta split on the game. I've noticed that me, gp, Freak, and Diamond seem to have really enjoyed it. The peyton lovers and hawks haters seem to have really not liked it. I just thought it was a nice little spit in goodell's eye to see a defense go out there and still dominate. I don't see how you couldn't be entertained by watching a defense that was playing with that much heart when they were underdogs by "analysts" and Vegas as well. Also to see their little golden boy get his forehead smacked is just icing on the cake. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Offense sells tickets but PEYTON LOSES CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! Oh I just love hearing that AND watching that AND saying that!!!!! WooHoo!!!! LOL!!! I still love you tommy boy!

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Me and Tom and Gisele watched it together. It was awesome. LOL!

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, and what do you guys all have in common?? You dont like Peyton! :lolol:

Please, that game from a football stand point was wretched. As I said, you got to enjoy Seattles defense and admire it all year, to not have a competitive game in the biggest event of the season, totally sucked, I turned it off, swear to God, switch it off in the 3rd qtr.

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Actually Brady said he would have picked Peyton as the mvp this year. If you want to know who REALLY enjoyed that game last night you need to look at Eli! He was like "I've STILL got more rings than you!!!" LOL!!! I love a good blowout when the teams are still trying their best. One hawks player said that the broncos seem to actually "give up" last night. I really can't see peyton ever giving up and I think he was trying as hard as he could last night. I loved it. It was like a good fight where one guy was just beating the crap out of the other guy. As a sadist I must say I enjoyed it. LOL!

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You're a strange pastor :lolol:

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that...

17. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    All I care about is the last 5 years. After that I don't care.

It does tell me about everything I need to know about our draft stategy going forward.

1. We need to fix the secondary in a BIG way. Big physical intimidating players who can put pressure on the opponents receivers is important.

2. We need to make sure we find a way to get pressure on the QB without having to blitz all the time. Some of that is on our DLine, but I think most of it must come from our LBS. They are our playmakers and need to become so again.

3. We can take a player or 2 in the first couple of rounds for the offense, but this Draft needs to be defense, defense, defense.

18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I just don't see the point in loading up on defence as long as we keep the same crappy system we have in place. We need to stop with the exotic blitzes and insted focus on winning the 1 on 1 battles. We're not going to win by confusing anyone, we'll win by coming out on top in the 1 on 1 battles. If you can't beat the man lined up opposite you, then it doesn't matter how exotic the play is.

What I would like to see is a new DC that runs the 4-3 the same way Seattle plays. Big, strong, fast and physical. When they make a catch, hit them and hit them hard. If you get a penalty, so be it. Hit them twice as hard the next play. Beat them up at the line of scrimmage every single time. Don't bother blitzing, just win the 1 on 1 battles.

I'm so tired of our defensive scheme. We need a DC that will actually use physical DB's and jam the receivers at the line.

19. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    This doesn't really make sense to me. The players as you say aren't winning 1 on 1 battles, so don't bring in new talent who can win 1 on 1 battles?

That's nice in theory, but we all know it's BS. The league has demonstrated by example that it can penalize, fine, and suspend rule breakers until they play softer or become less effective. Though, that may not work on Seattle. Look at how many PED reprimands they've had and yet they keep violating...

Were you tired of this scheme when it was winning championships?

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Everyone at church was of course pulling for the broncos last night and I told them I was pulling for the hawks. They were like "noooooo!!" Then I said "well if the Steelers were playing we would have been dismissing" and they were laughing.

21. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    While I agree that the team needs to make some changes to the scheme to be more aggressive, I just don't see that happening unless we have some new younger and faster, and more physical talent brought in.

We missed Harrison because he was the attitude on the D. The team currently misses that attitude.

That being said, running a 3/4 or a 4/3 has nothing to do with our success or lack thereof our defense. I think we have a couple of issues on D:

1. Lack of non-blitz pressure
    2. Lack of Physicality
    3. Lack of team speed
    4. Lack of overall talent

22. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Blowouts are not as exciting as nail biters, versus the other 47, this game will be put in the heap with the TB game, and some from the NFC dominant era between 1985 and 1996. Clearly, superbowl 43 was the best of the last 10 or so, up there with the best all time.

As for defense, I don't believe there is just one scheme that is best. What Seattle has are play makers. There is nothing wrong with the Steelers scheme, as it has won us two championships and taken us to a third, however, as the team is currently staffed, we don't have the playmakers. Instead, we are paying for playmakers of the past. When we get playmakers back, then we will get a pass rush, be able to blitz effectively, stuff the run, and limit the pass.

23. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    What? no amens! just laughs!..did you give alter call so the congregation could repent and start praising the black & Gold. :lolol:

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    No but now that you bring it up I WILL!!! LOL!!! That's hilarious dude. At the first church I pastored there actually was a lady that was a huge Steelers fan she said she always knew we'd get out early when the Steelers were playing. LOL. I do have one other fan at the church I'm pastoring now though. She was saying how jealous she was that I had good seats to the bungles MNF game this year. I guess after the debacle that was that game she probably got over it pretty quick though. LOL.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    speed and playmakers on defense. I don't care if they are 4'-6" or 6'-6". I want playmakers. smart, fast, playmakers. this is how this scheme is supposed to operate. I'm still pretty embarrassed that a QB flattened our safety last year.:cool: